Author Topic: Root and Vandervoort Vertical  (Read 5870 times)

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
Re: Root and Vandervoort Vertical
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2018, 03:44:08 AM »
Actually, Rocky supplies a tag with the model that I'll apply once it's painted  :ThumbsUp:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2018, 09:31:32 PM »
At this point, I’ll call this model finished.  It needs to run a few more hours to get broken in really well, but all in all, I’m very pleased with it.  I can walk away for a few minutes without coming back to a stalled engine; it’s running much more consistently than it was previously.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUXVuAtmkFo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUXVuAtmkFo</a>

I had to make a change to the fuel pump to stop it from leaking gas down onto the stand, and the centrifugal water pump was a bit of a challenge to make it pump water, though it leaks a bit; thus the drain tray I’ve installed under it.  It’s not giving me a steady, uninterrupted flow, but it moves enough water when the engine “hits” for cooling purposes.
It’s made an attractive model and was a delight to build.

Now, time to get back on the Lauson.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2018, 09:42:30 PM »
Craig it is a beauty and has a great industrial sound. Wonderful.

I just watched the video again and could listen to that thing run all day long. :ThumbsUp:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2018, 09:45:45 PM »
Congrats! Looks and sounds great.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2018, 10:36:37 PM »
Just awesome Craig. How about a tube of BarsLeak :lolb:. Guess it’s a Southern thing  8)

Eric

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2018, 10:55:23 PM »
Very nicely done Craig!  Love the engine, it sounds and runs great!
Thanks for posting the video,
Kim

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2018, 04:22:56 AM »
Hi Craig, a beautiful runner very well made. It is pure fun to hear the sound and watch the motion.
Kind Regards
Achim

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2018, 01:30:11 PM »
Smooth runner and an excellent sound  :praise2:  :praise2: Around 5 misses between hits?
Best regards

Roger

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2018, 01:33:58 PM »
A beautiful engine Craig. Looks and sounds great!!!

Bill

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2018, 09:56:47 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments.  I apprecite it.  I realize I probably should have posted this video in the showcase-engines section.  I'm planning on taking it to its first show this next weekend and maybe i'll take a video there and then post it.  Thanks again.
Craig

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2018, 11:25:41 PM »
Very nice Craig; The R&V looks and runs great!

Dave

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2018, 01:45:38 PM »
That's Nice, Craig.

The whole display is a work of beautiful functionality, both running and just sitting there...

Thank You for posting.

ShopShoe

Offline roger1955

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2018, 09:00:32 PM »
Hello,
first off, your engine looks great, what color scheme are you going to use? I have seen red and green/yellow?

I have just acquired a partially built one of these. Although I have all the drawings, there is no information on setting up the valve and igniter timing, do you perhaps have some information or guidance to share?

Also the igniter appears to have been made backwards, at least when I compare it to the drawing. The points seem to remain closed, unless opened, (slowly, not cocked and triggered)on the upward stroke of the pushrod. My other engines close the points briefly (cocking) then release them open in a trigger.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Roger

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2018, 12:50:04 AM »
Hi Roger and welcome to the forum. When you can, please post an introduction in the "introduce yourself" section so that you can be welcomed properly.

Bill

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2018, 10:20:46 PM »
Hi Roger
I’ll try to answer your questions.  I tried to make a video but I don’t have the equipment that will focus close enough so I’ll need to do it with stills.

Firstly, the red color is the finished color. :)

Secondly, The igniter points are open for the majority of the cycle and close only briefly before trip.  I hope the following photos will help explain.

You should have sheets 1 & 2 which give front and side views of the completed model.  This is the top of sheet 2.  I think I have the igniter built and oriented correctly… but I’ve been wrong before.

This is a photo of the igniter explosion drawing.  Please note I’ve labeled the part connected to the igniter rotating contact arm via a set screw as the anvil.  I’ve also labeled the lever that is cocked and released as the hammer.  These terms were on another model I’ve built and I’ve sort of adopted them.

The two springs in the drawing work in the opposite directions.  At rest, the hammer is pressed up against the backstop by the spring between the engine frame and the hammer.  The anvil is pressed against the hammer by the spring between the anvil and hammer. This photo was taken with the  igniter/exhaust valve lifter lever at it's lowest travel.  The igniter contacts are open.

As the crankshaft rotates and the igniter/exhaust valve lifter lever moves up, the hammer is cocked.  This action winds the spring between the engine frame and the hammer.  The anvil follows the hammer rotation, held against it by it's spring until the igniter contacts close.  As the hammer continues to rotate the spring tension between the anvil and hammer increases.  This is the tinniest motion (maybe ten degrees) until trip release.  In the following picture you can see a small space between the pusher arm on the anvil and the hammer.  In this picture the igniter contacts are closed (thus the anvil can no longer rotate with the hammer), and the hammer is "cocked".

At igniter trip as in the following photo, the inside spring (between engine frame and hammer) has driven the hammer onto the anvil lever and opened the igniter contacts.

The igniter/exhaust valve lifter lever continues to move up and eventually the exhaust valve rocker presses against the top of the exhaust valve, opening the exhaust valve.  In the following photo this lever is at its highest point of travel.  Were it to travel any higher it would interfere with the socket head cap screw that pushes the lever over, causing the igniter to trip. 

Timing the igniter and exhaust is a balance between the igniter/exhaust valve lifter lever moving low enough so that the hammer will “reset” above the lift notch, getting the igniter to trip at the correct crankshaft rotation, and the igniter/exhaust valve lifter lever not moving high enough to interfere with the above mentioned SHCS, driving it out of alignment so that the igniter no longer trips or it shorts against the igniter anode connector.

There isn’t much movement to play with and I found getting this engine timed right to be a real bear.   

I'd start by adjusting the cam gear and igniter/exhaust valve push rod so that the exhaust valve opens right at TDC and closes just before BDC.  From there I'd address the igniter, understanding that you might have t move the cam gear a tooth one way or the other to get the igniter to trip at the right place.  I found the "right place" to be about 15 degrees before TDC.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 02:53:07 AM by Craig DeShong »
Craig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal