Author Topic: Bristol Show 17th-19th Aug  (Read 10967 times)

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
Re: Bristol Show 17th-19th Aug
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2018, 02:00:10 PM »
Just got back and unpacked after three days at the Bristol Show, exhausted but happy. I have no photos to add to the impressive collection posted by Jo and Jason. :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Jo's three tubs of sticky whatsits lasted the whole three days, I even had the last remaining flapjack to eat on the journey home. :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

The standard, the quantity and the diversity of the models on display was truly amazing, as we have come to expect at the Bristol Show. However the dwindling numbers of visitors on the Saturday and Sunday, together with so few traders is very worrying. How long can the Bristol club continue to host such a magnificent event with ever reducing income? Regrettable we have seen this decline with other shows which have eventually disappeared off the calendar. I was talking with one of the few trade stand owners, they said that for themselves, motorcycle restoration shows were taking over from the model engineering shows. I guess it is another sign of changing times. :ThumbsDown: :ThumbsDown:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 04:43:37 PM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2018, 02:06:23 PM »
Pleased you got home in one piece Mike  :) Yes it was a good show with plenty of new models to admire  8)

Don't forget you are welcome to come and visit  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2018, 02:32:47 PM »
Hi Jo, there are some nice engines built by George Emery amongst your pics ...but i cannot find anything about him on the net. do you know anything about this early engine builder or is there somebody that does in Bristol ,perhaps. It would be nice to find out more about him and other engines he may have built .

Willy

Online Twizseven

« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2018, 04:21:28 PM »
Enjoyed the show on Friday and was good to chat to Jo, Mike Cole and Eric Offen. Great to see Mikes Anzani 'Y' type running.  :ThumbsUp: Gives me something to aim for.  Did not buy a huge amount but my mate Tom was very happy with his purchases.  Very good day apart from the sh.t drive home.  I got down there in 2 hours from Rugeley, it took over three to get back.  The M5 had three lanes shut and so did a nice detour all the way up the A46 as far as the M42.  I had been down past Bristol on the Thursday and was working in Buckingham from 8.a.m on Saturday for all the weekend.  Now trying to catch up with work and recover.  This retirement lark what Jo has just started is beginning to appeal.

Colin

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2018, 11:59:43 AM »
I have just been informed that 2018 was the last Bristol show as we have known it  :'(

They are hoping to do something next year but it will not be at the same scale as the previous shows  :(

Jo

Online Twizseven

« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2018, 12:26:49 PM »
That's a great shame.  :'( I have enjoyed going the last couple of years and especially meeting up with the IC engine builders.

Why do they feel the need to stop running it?

Colin

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2018, 12:43:54 PM »
If that is true, it's yet another disaster.   :ThumbsDown: :ThumbsDown:

First we lost the Model Engineer Exhibition at Sandown, then we lost the Guildford Exhibition and now we have lost the last great show in the South of England. Soon there will be nowhere left to display our models.

Mike

« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 12:25:48 PM by Vixen »

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2018, 01:57:37 PM »

Why do they feel the need to stop running it?

Colin

Reply #60 may give you an insight as to why our model engineering shows disappear.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2018, 02:13:01 PM »
The Bristol Club also have the problem that they probably will have to relocate their club next year as the Bristol Council do not feel they are making enough money out of the part of the park the club are renting off them :-\

Jo

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2018, 03:02:00 PM »
Here is a link to the Bristol Club and more information on the forthcoming closure http://www.bristolmodelengineers.co.uk

« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 12:23:57 PM by Vixen »

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2018, 03:40:10 PM »
I think it is now so easy to buy whatever ME materials you need with a click of the mouse that the trade side of the "exhibitions" has declined so much. It's not like in the old days where you would make up a list over the previous few months and pick up all you need at a show because that was easier than sending an SAE for a poorly photo copied catalogue then sending off your order with cheque that hopefully also covered postage cost. Also with web sales often being cheaper the traders that are at shows can't do "show offers" so again people won't buy from a show when it can come from China for less at the click of a mouse.

If the shows are to become just exhibitons then the average deep pocketed model engineer with short arms won't travel or pay just to look at some models so this type of show does not pay and without the income from trade stands it is just not viable.

There is also the fact that there were probably too many shows, back when I started going to the Model Engineer Exhibition in my early teens it was the only show in the country and also drew in RC and figure modelers as that was all catered for in the one show .With 5 or six Model enginnering specific shows plus separate ones for RC, figures, AFV etc sales will be less as the hobbist can still only spend so much per year

Offline Ginger Nut

• Woolnwood
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2018, 05:37:26 AM »
Thanks all or the photos

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2018, 08:04:39 AM »
 :thinking: Maybe we should start a thread about the future of ME shows.

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal