Author Topic: Workshop adjustments  (Read 8055 times)

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
Re: Workshop adjustments
« Reply #120 on: September 23, 2018, 12:47:21 PM »
Thanks Art, great to hear from you. You will find that bandsaw a very handy addition. Much easier than a hacksaw for cutting blanks of stock for one thing.

Mine is a cheapo one from Grizzly, and it took a lot of set up, but now it does a decent job.
Stuart

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #121 on: September 23, 2018, 02:39:24 PM »
Thanks Art, great to hear from you. You will find that bandsaw a very handy addition. Much easier than a hacksaw for cutting blanks of stock for one thing.

Mine is a cheapo one from Grizzly, and it took a lot of set up, but now it does a decent job.
This year I added a bandsaw from SawBlade.com, current project has been giving it a huge workout, very happy with it. I find it makes a much squarer cut with much less waste and cleanup on the lathe, plus is much much faster and easier on me.

Online Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #122 on: September 24, 2018, 09:25:45 PM »

This year I added a bandsaw from SawBlade.com, current project has been giving it a huge workout, very happy with it. I find it makes a much squarer cut with much less waste and cleanup on the lathe, plus is much much faster and easier on me.

Which bandsaw model did you get Chris?

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #123 on: September 24, 2018, 11:13:32 PM »

Which bandsaw model did you get Chris?

Jim
Its the Trajan 125, working out very well for me. I have used it to cut all the stainless and brass stock for all the wheels, pulleys, gears, plus all the bar stock on the Marion build. The original blade that came with it lasted a fair while, had to replace it a couple weeks ago, but it had made a lot of cuts in 2 and 3" diameter steel bar stock - it had not gone dull, but the weld cracked where the blade was joined up. I had gotten a handful of spare blades at the same time, I think they are a little better quality than the first one. They have a large variety of blade styles, with a selector for what kind of stock you will be cutting to help you pick the right one. One thing I like with this saw is that it does not require oil or coolant (says not to use it), since the speed is adjustable for the type and size of bar stock. It cuts nice and square so I waste less metal, the vise will take up to 5" bar. It seems much better made than the big box store brands, but is priced higher too.

Online Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #124 on: September 25, 2018, 04:47:28 AM »
Its the Trajan 125, working out very well for me. I have used it to cut all the stainless and brass stock for all the wheels, pulleys, gears, plus all the bar stock on the Marion build. The original blade that came with it lasted a fair while, had to replace it a couple weeks ago, but it had made a lot of cuts in 2 and 3" diameter steel bar stock - it had not gone dull, but the weld cracked where the blade was joined up. I had gotten a handful of spare blades at the same time, I think they are a little better quality than the first one. They have a large variety of blade styles, with a selector for what kind of stock you will be cutting to help you pick the right one. One thing I like with this saw is that it does not require oil or coolant (says not to use it), since the speed is adjustable for the type and size of bar stock. It cuts nice and square so I waste less metal, the vise will take up to 5" bar. It seems much better made than the big box store brands, but is priced higher too.

That's a nice looking bandsaw Chris. Looks perfect for what we do.
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #125 on: September 30, 2018, 04:27:12 PM »
What kind of footprint does that Trajan 125 take?
I've been thinking of getting rid of my horizontal saw. It takes up quite a bit of space, is messy, and I very rarely use it in vertical mode.
(By getting 'rid of' I mean moving it into the garage.)
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #126 on: September 30, 2018, 05:31:34 PM »
I've been thinking of getting rid of my horizontal saw. It takes up quite a bit of space, is messy, and I very rarely use it in vertical mode.
It takes up a 28"x12" space on the bench, the saw section has a lock to hold it down horizontal so you can pick it up by the back of the blade guide to carry it around. It does not go up fully vertical. I was able to get mine at their intruductory sale price, it is up to normal price now. I don't know if they do sales around christmas or not. (I am in no way connected to that company)

https://www.sawblade.com/order-bandsaw-machine-trajan125.cfm

Online Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #127 on: October 03, 2018, 02:59:48 AM »
It takes up a 28"x12" space on the bench, the saw section has a lock to hold it down horizontal so you can pick it up by the back of the blade guide to carry it around. It does not go up fully vertical. I was able to get mine at their intruductory sale price, it is up to normal price now. I don't know if they do sales around christmas or not. (I am in no way connected to that company)

https://www.sawblade.com/order-bandsaw-machine-trajan125.cfm

Looks like they're temporarily out of stock right now. I like the idea of a saw that can be stored out of the way when not needed. I've looked back at my past projects and thought about future projects and there's not anything that it couldn't of cut for me.
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #128 on: October 03, 2018, 04:03:04 AM »
Hi guys,
A bandsaw in the shop soon becomes one of the most used tools ....... well it does in mine!
Hay Zee have a hunt for the mods I did to my saw, putting it on wheels makes moving it around easy. Oh you need to make the wheels on one end are lockable. Making the quick change bigger table means putting it on & off you don’t  try to do something that you shouldn’t on the “little table” backstop

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!