Author Topic: Workshop Log  (Read 42292 times)

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
Re: Workshop adjustments
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2018, 06:50:34 PM »
I should add that I did go back and check zero calibration before calling it done, and also tram in the X direction again too - best to be thorough.

Next jobs are to install the coolant drain on the lathe chip tray properly, and also add coolant dispenser to the mill.

This sudden burst of alignment enthusiasm was caused by ordering a new vise today - after reading Bills thread. Looking forward to getting that set up and actually getting on with some real play time.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 07:06:39 PM by propforward »
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2018, 07:14:03 PM »
Well, today I made progress in the hobby we're more interested in, that of machining.
There might just be one hobby a bit more interesting. At least there used to be.
I have had a bad habit in the past, of pressing forwards and not paying enough attention to set up of my machine tools, then being frustrated with inaccuracies. My brother.

Interesting method for zeroing the tool (i.e. the magnet). I just place mine on the surface plate. Makes me wonder if using the surface plate doesn't account for something or the other.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2018, 07:20:09 PM »
I don't think so - I think it's just a means of touching down on a fixed height above the table that doesn't shift about, so that you don't have to raise or lower anything when rotating the tool around. But then you still have to lower the head down to get the DTI's onto the table.
Stuart

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2018, 09:12:14 PM »
Well, I also got the coolant pump installed - more specifically fitted the drain spigot on the chip tray so that it doesn't leak. Seems to work fine - although I did surprise myself and spray a bit of coolant around the place. Oops. Nothing that a shop towel couldn't sort out though.

With all that done, I pulled this out.

I'm going to go and read up Bills thread about this, but I may well make a start on this tomorrow.

Stuart

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2018, 10:02:17 PM »
Congrats on the new vise. We will need pics of course once it arrives  :).  Looks like a PMR #1. Will be looking forward to seeing the build on that one!!!
Bill

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2018, 10:10:47 PM »
That's exactly what it is, and I'm excited to start. Probably with a few of the more simple parts, but I think I may even take next friday off and get a 4 day weekend in and some good shop time at long last. Actually make something instead of just organize - although there's more of that to do too.
Stuart

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2018, 12:24:35 AM »
Nice work on the tramming, Stewart!  Nice looking tramming tool.  I've seen them, but never been convinced that the convenience would be worth it.  Did you find it helpful?  Did it make tramming simpler and make you more likely do to it more frequently? That would be a good plus!

I just barely got around to tramming my new mill (the one I got last Christmas :)).  I knew it was a little out of alignment, but hadn't bothered/remembered to do it.  But it's done now and I can rest easier.  (As long as I remember to check it periodically.  :Lol:)

Looking forward to your new thread on the PMR casting!
Kim

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2018, 12:39:20 AM »
I worry about that 4-jaw chuck. 8" no? Quite a bit of weight.
Might there be a better place for it?
"To work. To work."

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2018, 02:03:25 PM »
Kim,

The edge technologies tool does make tramming much less of a chore, and as a result I'm likely to check tram more frequently. That said - I can't bring myself to recommend it as a "must have" tool, because there are other methods which don't need the expense. But I bought this a few years ago when I had better resources. Today, I wouldn't spend the money on this item, but I'm glad to have it. It would be pretty easy to make one to be honest - in fact I have recollection of a post by Bogstandard (I think) on just such a tool way back in the starting days of the forum.

Carl - that is indeed an 8" 4 jaw, and it is a weighty fellow. That said - not sure what a better spot would be? The pic may be deceiving - I don't have to stoop or climb over a bunch of stuff to get it, it's really easy to pull out of its spot. I may even move the coolant pump further behind the lathe now I have it running, which will improve access even more. However, I found this 8" 4 jaw a bit large on the last engine I made, so yesterday I actually ordered a smaller 4 jaw chuck and back plate, and should have those this week. I ordered some other tooling as well. I recently sold a motorcycle to fund some new items. I'd also like a new rotary table / chuck, but I'm holding off on those until I've done some more research. I may have to sell some other junk to have enough to get the right one for the job, but one thing at a time.
Stuart

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2018, 01:32:56 AM »
Well, got a few new items today. A 6” 4 jaw chuck, and an E40 collet chuck and collets. I need to mount the back plates on the spindle and finish them off, but I think I’ll hold off on that until I’ve performed some alignment tests on my lathe.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 01:44:35 AM by propforward »
Stuart

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2018, 01:44:13 AM »
Always fun to wait on the big brown truck knowing he will stop at your house with goodies  ;)

Bill

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2018, 01:45:28 AM »
Oh yes! Never gets old, getting new stuff. :D
Stuart

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2018, 02:29:58 AM »
I'll be very interested in seeing your travels with the collet chuck.
It's something I want for my lathe but I don't now enough to be confident enough to spend the bucks.
"To work. To work."

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2018, 02:35:09 AM »
The main reason I got it is for holding the smaller diameter round stock. It was also recommended by some machinists I know. Now - they approach machning from a production viewpoint - not the same for a hobby machinist by any means, but I like the idea of the collet chuck. I’m treating myself with funds from a motorcycle sale. :D

Still waiting for my milling vise - but they have to make it first.
Stuart

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2018, 02:40:13 AM »
Smaller stock yes. I'm also interested in square and hex stock.
But I have to admit, given my level of experience/interest, is it really necessary?

I'm thinking yes. At a minimum...why  not? It takes certain variables out of play for me.
"To work. To work."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal