Author Topic: 3 inch boiler build  (Read 53176 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: 3 inch boiler build
« Reply #105 on: September 08, 2018, 08:46:51 PM »
Just looking through the latest Sieg catalogue and they list different feed units for the standard and Long tables. I think Axminster only do it for the standard table as they don't do the long bed machine.

http://www.siegind.com/Application/Home/View/demo_ximate/pdf/SIEG.pdf

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #106 on: September 09, 2018, 08:41:19 AM »
Two main issues with the facemill. Firstly the head was a loose fit on the arbor so was running out of true and secondly the supplied tips and also an extra box of 10 that I ordered at the same time were not that sharp even for carbide. Once the run out was sorted and some decent tips fitted it cut a lot better. All in this thread over on ME

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=135611&p=1

That doesn't sound great! I don't doubt Doubleboost's integrity, so maybe he was just lucky, or (more likely) Banggood made sure they sent him a good one, or perhaps you were just unlucky... :???:

I'll check mine out sometime soon. Have had a look at the thread you linked to; will read it more thoroughly soon. I did notice a photo of a beautiful piece of machining by yourself in the thread.

Thanks,

gary

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #107 on: September 09, 2018, 08:51:41 AM »
Just looking through the latest Sieg catalogue and they list different feed units for the standard and Long tables. I think Axminster only do it for the standard table as they don't do the long bed machine.

http://www.siegind.com/Application/Home/View/demo_ximate/pdf/SIEG.pdf

Wow... you are correct. I'm glad you flagged that up, otherwise it might have been an expensive mistake!

Doesn't look like one can order direct from Sieg. I may not go down the power feed route anyway, just weighing up possibilities. Probably best to fit the DRO then see what I'm left with.

Cheers,

gary

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #108 on: September 09, 2018, 01:35:35 PM »
Bangood are not a supplier like Chronos. RDg, ARC etc but just a market place like e-bay, Amazon, etc so you are not always going to get exactly the same item as they list quite a few 50mm face cutters. Depending on where they actually come from they may be rejects sold on at a discount, walked out the back door in someones lunchbox or reasonable ones sold at a low price for various "money" reasons. So it is a bit pot luck what you get. I was not given mine so happy to say what it was actually like.

The Feed unit is narrower than the 2.7 table and the adaptor blocks that house the clutch all seem to be made to the table width and replace the black end plate so should not stick out beyund the back edge.

I don't know why the long table should need a different unit, if you do decide you want one Ketan may be able to special order for you but Sieg are on a long delivery leadin time at the moment.

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #109 on: September 09, 2018, 02:18:27 PM »
Jason -

Yes. I'm going to put a clock on my facemill as soon as I get a chance (painting hallway this morning, out with daughter this afternoon...you know how it goes) and take a couple of trial cuts. And then there's these 'blue nano' cutters with it...
Will post here on how it goes.

If I do decide to check out the power feed more fully I'll have a chat with Arc about it as you suggest.

Again - thank you.

gary

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #110 on: September 09, 2018, 02:41:42 PM »
That's a nice new mill Gary. Similar to my import mill. I found I had to do some measuring and set up on both my lathe and mill to get them square, trammed and true, but after that bit of effort, plenty good machines. Looking forward to seeing you make chips with it.

The face mill is an excellent idea, I'll keep that in mind, I may well want one of those.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #111 on: September 09, 2018, 08:42:34 PM »
Cheers Stuart   :)

Will check it for tram soon. I'm sure it will feature in future postings...

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #112 on: September 09, 2018, 09:32:49 PM »

The face mill is an excellent idea, I'll keep that in mind, I may well want one of those.

Stuart - I haven't tried the facemill yet but if by any chance you are thinking of buying one from Banggood, see Jason's comments higher up in this thread.

gary

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #113 on: September 10, 2018, 10:20:44 PM »
Jason -

Yes. I'm going to put a clock on my facemill as soon as I get a chance (painting hallway this morning, out with daughter this afternoon...you know how it goes) and take a couple of trial cuts. And then there's these 'blue nano' cutters with it...
Will post here on how it goes.

Some numbers:

Spindle runout on new Sieg SX2.7L:       0.01 mm

Runout on R8 arbour of Banggood facemill    0.03 mm

Runout on head of Banggood facemill:       0.06 mm

Haven't fitted the cutters yet, so no info so far on how it performs...

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #114 on: September 18, 2018, 10:53:26 PM »
A little bit of progress this evening after a major episode of DIY in the house.

All fittings (apart from the safety valve and the steam pressure gauge) are now in situ for the second hydraulic test at 1.5 x working pressure:

Apologies for the somewhat fuzzy picture. I'll carry out the test at the weekend. The cap and chimney are not yet silver soldered together - the chimney is resting in a circular rebate which I cut around the central hole to approximately half the thickness of the cap. My idea is to give the silver solder somewhere to flow into. Any advice anyone can offer on how to silver solder brass without ruining it will be most welcome!

The photo below shows a close-up of the water level gauge. Fitting it was easier than I expected, though I won't get too cocky until I have seen it not leaking under pressure. I had to make a 1/4" to 5/16" adaptor for the top bush due to a mishap back when I was silver soldering the boiler. It seemed to work ok, but time will tell.

gary

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #115 on: September 18, 2018, 11:06:49 PM »
Looking good Gary, the water gauge looks to be a better quality one than is often seen on small boilers.

Don't forget to update us on how the pressure test goes  :)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #116 on: September 18, 2018, 11:43:04 PM »
I have a boiler kit waiting in the wings. I hesitate to work on it because I know so little about them (and they are bit dangerous).
The water gauge for example is something that I've always wondered about.
The glass is under the same pressure as the boiler, right? Or not?

I don't mean to hijack your thread, Gary. Your thread...like many other members' threads is excellent learning for me.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #117 on: September 18, 2018, 11:46:48 PM »
I have a boiler kit waiting in the wings.

Carl, which kit is it that you have? I want to try and make a small boiler before long, I was intending to use 3" dia copper tube that I already have but have considered building from a kit.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #118 on: September 18, 2018, 11:48:37 PM »
It's the BLR-1 from PMR.

Another reason for the hesitation...I kind of like/prefer the horizontal boilers. So it's been difficult getting excited about this one.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #119 on: September 18, 2018, 11:55:31 PM »
Cheers Carl, I kinda quite like that little boiler and have thought about buying one. The thing that puts me off is it has quite a lot of tubes and looks a bit of a challenge to someone new to boiler building. I'd like to try something with only a few tubes first  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal