Author Topic: 3 inch boiler build  (Read 53285 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: 3 inch boiler build
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2018, 11:08:48 PM »
Great dumb luck on the joint, paid for by the sheared off adapter.   :zap:

Possible that the gas bottle went empty? If its a small one, they dont last long, the big gas grill (20 pounds here) are great, easy to judge how much is left.

Here's hoping on the test!

:popcorn:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2018, 11:16:56 PM »
than the Sievert torch went out and was very tricky to relight again in the 'heat' of the moment   :) . I struggled with this for a while, particularly with the fiddly and counterintuitive bottle regulator that came with the torch. At this point I was acutely aware that all the time the boiler was losing heat,

Half an hour later I fished the boiler out of the pickle to look at it. Imagine my surprise when I saw that the joint in question had formed into a smooth, round pristine collar of silver solder round the neck of the tube. It's now the best-looking joint on the boiler, and unless anything else opened up with the heat (and I have no reason to think that happened) it may be that the boiler is now intact.

I say 'may be'. It went straight back on to my hydraulic testing rig. When I upped the pressure I noticed a leak from where the neck of the adaptor I had made for the test pressure gauge was screwed into the boiler bushing so I took a spanner to tighten the adaptor ... and sheared off the threaded section at the end!

We could almost trade posts today and no one would notice. (Although I was more mum about my various disasters. Not a good thing really. Best to be embarrassed and help others. Actually no reason to be embarrassed either. 'newbie' = sometimes does things wrong until learned.)

Am I completely useless or is this normal for beginners?

Normal! Else I am in serious trouble...or rather uselessness.  :Lol:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2018, 11:47:13 PM »
Thanks guys.

Chris - yes, 'dumb luck' was the phrase running through my head this evening...! At least having paid for it I don't need to feel that I cheated  :)

It wasn't the gas bottle because to exclude that I went out to the garage and bought a new one. Googling it revealed that quite a few people have this kind of problem with Sievert torches. I suspect it might just be about being more precise with the various valves, but it warrants more investigation for sure.

Carl - thanks for the moral support. No doubt it is by muddling through these scenarios that we gradually learn...

I do hope that other people will benefit from the wealth of information that all you guys have offered in this thread.

Will keep you posted on the eventual hydro test. Or re-test I should say.

All the best,

gary

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2018, 12:15:50 AM »
Is your torch the type that screws on a bottle the size of a thermos? Sounds like possible clog in a jet. Common issue in the smaller butane burners, with contamination in the gas. I have not seen that in the propane or mapp ones (at least yet).

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2018, 05:43:32 AM »
Gary,
This all sounds quite normal to me.  But think how boring it would be if everything just worked right the first time and there was no learning curve?  What would be the fun in that?  Part of what makes this hobby so interesting is the many things there are to learn.  And doing it wrong several times (many, many times, if you're me) is just part of the process.

I usually get something to work after the first or second try (like sliver soldering) then come back to try it on a different part later, and have yet more problems of a different kind.  Its all part of the learning curve. And what makes it so fun when you do it right!

You've got to enjoy the process!  That's what makes it fun, right?  :Jester:
Kim

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2018, 05:45:56 AM »
Chris -

No, it's one of these:

https://gasproducts.co.uk/gas-blow-torches/sievert-gas-blow-torch-kits/sievert-general-purpose-gas-blow-torch-kit.html

Used with propane bottles of various sizes. I did wonder about the possibility of a partially blocked jet though... will look into that.

Kim - there is wisdom in your words. You are absolutely right. A philosophy with which I agree but need the occasional reminder to follow!

Thanks,

gary

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2018, 09:22:39 AM »
As they both went out did you have more firebrick or insulation around the boiler as that can starve the burner of fresh air or worse still working in a close space.

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2018, 12:22:10 PM »
I did have a fair bit Jason. Will bear that in mind, and experiment a bit before next time.

However, I think it was more than that. The Sievert was hard to light and went out even when not near the job.

Cheers.

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2018, 02:34:41 PM »
 :cartwheel: Yay! Yaaay!!! YAAAAAAAAY!!!  :cartwheel:

I postponed my departure for France until Monday as I couldn't bear the thought of two weeks of suspense over the boiler while I'm away.

This gave me time for a hydraulic test today after the above repair.

Sorted!  :ThumbsUp:

Sat at at 90 psi for ages. Miniscule downward creep of the gauge needle at first, but this stopped after tightening one blanking plug and one pipe union nut which were oozing tiny beads of water (I understand that a slight initial pressure drop is common even on an intact system anyway, due to general settling in). After that, 90 all the way until I disconnected the pump, at which point it dropped to 85 then stayed there for half an hour, when I decided the boiler is now fixed. No leakage at all from any point on the body of the boiler.

Thank you all so much for the help and support you have given me on this. I would have been lost without you. The knowledge and expertise of people on this forum is incredible. You guys are amazing!   :LittleAngel:

I can now close the pages of this dark chapter of history, and on my return from France open them on the next one - which I understand will be another hydro test at 1.5 WP with all fittings in situ - and the trials and tribulations that await therein...

:)

gary

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2018, 03:17:27 PM »
Glad you have it sorted out with a good 2x test

The 1.5 will be a breeze ,then a steam test to set the safety

It is a known fact that a new boiler will not hold water but will steam

My first 3 1/2 loco boiler William had a pin hole in the dome flange joint ,it was under test we had a small drop of pressure one of the witnesses walked past and got wet , the jet was so fine you could not see it but hold your hand near you got damp, what happened next you ask our boiler inspector passed the test as the boiler was structurally sound he said that will disappear on first steam up it did and there was no sign of any deposits in that area .

Yes we strive for perfection but a good inspector is worth his/her weight in gold

As a side note most full sized riveted steel boilers leaked and had to have the joint caulked with a caulking chisel ( it’s a flat ended blunt object )
Or they chucked a load of lime into the feed water
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2018, 03:26:32 PM »
Congrats Gary!

A couple of questions...

1) What's the purpose of the 1.5x test if a 2x test was done? Is the 2x for the boiler and the 1.5x for testing the rest of the system?
2) @Stuart "It is a known fact that a new boiler will not hold water but will steam.". Would you mind explaining that?
3) When I built my little 0-4-0 British Loco, they recommended distilled water. (That may be because the boiler was made from drain pipe.) What do you all use? (Tap water can vary greatly in hardness, etc.)
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2018, 03:44:27 PM »
Zee

Now boiler codes around the big ball vary

The 2x test is to test the structure of the boiler
That being passed the boiler is give a number stamped on the foundation ring
You then fit all the fitting ( the first 2x test is done with blanking plugs in the bushes except for the test rig) now you do the 1.5 with the fitting in place inc water gauge

That being ok
You then steam the boiler to its 1x or WP and set the safety valve/s as required this then is tested with a full glass full fire and full blower to test the safety valve/s to see if they control the pressure rise to less than 10%
Hope that has answered your question

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2018, 03:49:56 PM »
Boiler will not hold water but steam is ok

Now we are taking a small weep here

Because the boiler is cold the joints may not be perfect  but put some fire under it things expand and joints take up also the minerals in the water tend to block up tiny weeps

Not a boiler but temp related the black bird recon aircraft from your side of the pond leaked fuel like a colender on the runway at speed it got hot and was drum tight

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2018, 03:54:56 PM »
Zee
When I was fitt enough to ride on my locomotive and handle them in the workshop we used tap water , here and at the club it was of a fair quality , kettle descaler once in a while , but the injector cones needed a soak in citric acid a couple of times a year .

Note the boiler primed like crazy on the fist steam up after cleaning as does a new boiler due to the acid used and general muck in the shell

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2018, 04:09:45 PM »
Yes you want to use reasonably clean water as overtime the impurities can hamper free steaming!

When it gets to that thickness you need a bit more than a flue brush to clean things out

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal