Author Topic: 3 inch boiler build  (Read 53217 times)

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
Re: 3 inch boiler build
« Reply #150 on: October 02, 2018, 10:17:17 PM »
This time don't put a scaffolding pipe over the end of the spanner when you tighten the nuts  :Lol:

Well, Peter - funny you should say that, because with the replacement water gauge I also ordered some tiny laser-cut spanners from Blackgates Engineering:

They have already paid for themselves, and no scaffolding poles required. The test pressure gauge sat pretty at 1.5 x WP with the water gauge installed:

No leaks!

And so - at last - on to the first steam test, for which I will use a gas flame.

:cartwheel:

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #151 on: October 02, 2018, 10:22:35 PM »
Great progress! It will be great fun to make steam.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #152 on: October 02, 2018, 10:27:45 PM »
It will be, Stuart.

Pure alchemy. Magic!

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #153 on: October 06, 2018, 01:19:40 AM »
 :cartwheel: :cartwheel: :cartwheel: Yaaaay! The culmination of months of angst! A great day!!!   :cartwheel: :cartwheel: :cartwheel:

First steam test today, and I couldn't have asked for better!

No leaks, and spectacular, surprisingly powerful whooshes of live steam when the safety valve blew off and when I opened the steam out valve!

The picture below doesn't capture the energy of  that, but it does show the boiler ( with all its fittings) sitting on a firebrick-shielded outdoor gas ring, firing up:

Only one (inevitable) fly in the ointment - due to an operating system 'upgrade' my video editing program is malfunctioning so I couldn't post the videos I shot. Will get on to that over the weekend though, and post here when it's sorted.

Anyway, no matter - a major staging post has been reached and I can now go on to getting creative with trying out different heat sources and firebox configurations.

Couldn't have done this without you guys - thank you so much   :LittleAngel:

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #154 on: October 06, 2018, 01:51:31 AM »
Congratulations on the steam up and a nice looking boiler.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #155 on: October 06, 2018, 10:00:17 AM »
Great stuff Gary - well done  :)

I look forward to seeing a video of it operating.

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #156 on: October 06, 2018, 10:59:25 PM »
Thanks both.

@ Thomas - nice of you to look in - will return the compliment.

@ Peter - cheers  :ThumbsUp:

Due to ongoing software conundrums the video is not of the best quality but it does show the boiler doing its stuff, below:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1LxeZmfeBI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1LxeZmfeBI</a>

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #157 on: October 08, 2018, 05:28:01 PM »
Gary, I don't know about anyone else but I can't see the video  :(

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #158 on: October 08, 2018, 05:38:06 PM »
Gary,
I think you have to leave the [ youtube ] [/ youtube] brackets out when you put in a Youtube link these days, otherwise it doesn't work on IE.  I don't know why. So just paste the link in w/o the Youtube brackets and everyone should see the video.
Kim

This should work for IE and Chrome users:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1LxeZmfeBI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1LxeZmfeBI</a>

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #159 on: October 08, 2018, 05:45:03 PM »
Many thanks both.

Kim - I use Firefox and could see the video in my post before. However, I have now followed your suggestion.

Does it work now?

gary

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #160 on: October 08, 2018, 05:53:14 PM »
Thanks guys, I can see it now  :)

Super job Gary it looks and performs great, I look forward to seeing it power an engine.

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #161 on: October 08, 2018, 06:06:23 PM »
Peter -

Thanks for your unfailing interest and support in this.

It's much appreciated.

gary

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #162 on: October 10, 2018, 12:10:41 AM »
I did a test firing with methylated spirits this morning. It seemed to go quite well:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QwzpgftKic" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QwzpgftKic</a>

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #163 on: October 10, 2018, 08:00:15 AM »
Hi Gary, well done on another successful test firing.

I am with you on keeping it simple, and Meths is a very safe fuel for our purposes.  It only takes water to extinguish it, unlike other liquid fuels and much safer than gas.  So no need to feel it is second rate.  I would also suggest a separate fuel tank with a plug and a small diameter vent and a tube to the base of a burner which has your wicks.  If the tank in that enclosure gets to hot, you will get a big flare up when the meths boils (at about 93 C).  Wick tubes need to be high enough to prevent the Meths overflowing the burner.  It's not such an issue with a Mamod or similar as they only contain about 30 ml of fuel.  It looks like you had much more than that, and it could go for a long time.

That licking around the edge is inevitable while you have that gap.  Less air flow resistance that way than up the stack, though as it all heats up, some draft helps the flow through the flue tubes. When the boiler sits on a fitted firebox, it won't happen.

You may have to experiment with a bit bigger air entry to your burner casing, perhaps with a sliding cover to allow you to vary it to get a good looking flame.

Some insulation will help, cork is easy once you have the flame contained.

For measurements, I suggest a digital scale, reading to 1 g, as more accurate than level observations.  Just measure before light up, then again after it has cooled.  If your scale will accomodate the whole boiler without burner, you can determine the steam generated during the steaming time, though the total weight may exceed your scale once you have an engine connected.

You should be able to do a longer steam test by adjusting the steam valve to keep the pressure about constant and below the safety valve setting.  And obviously also keep an eye on the water level.  The boiler does not know if the steam goes to an engine or just to atmosphere.  It's worth experimenting to see how much fuel can be used without running the boiler water too low unless you intend to keep topping up water with your hand pump.

Again, well done on another good test.  It has been good to follow your progress.

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #164 on: October 10, 2018, 09:38:41 AM »
Nice one Gary,

It seems to be very effective on meths, my guess is the yellowish flame is just down to some residual contamination left in the tin, the situation will likely improve once you have made a better vessel. You may even find if the flame burns better you will get more heat and be able to reduce boil time.

Peter :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal