Author Topic: 3 inch boiler build  (Read 53232 times)

Offline michaelr

Re: 3 inch boiler build
« Reply #135 on: September 25, 2018, 04:26:25 PM »
With a suitable O ring or a twist of PTFE tape your gauge glass nuts need only be finger tightened or a very little over, to tight will damage the O ring any little weep will probably self seal when the boiler is in steam, this is the method I used on my gauge glass when I was running my traction engines. 

Mike

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #136 on: September 25, 2018, 04:31:46 PM »
Well they say education is expensive no matter how you get it  :facepalm: 
Whiskey

Very well put, Whiskey, and so true  :Lol:

Thank you Sir.

I have in fact watched Keith Appleton on installing a water gauge, but somehow I didn't take on board just how carefully the alignment needs to be checked. Or maybe it was something else that I didn't get right, like the adjustment of the various screws...

In any case - lesson learned!

It's getting there overall, but the devil is in the detail...  :mischief:

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #137 on: September 25, 2018, 04:33:14 PM »
With a suitable O ring or a twist of PTFE tape your gauge glass nuts need only be finger tightened or a very little over, to tight will damage the O ring any little weep will probably self seal when the boiler is in steam, this is the method I used on my gauge glass when I was running my traction engines. 

Mike

That is very useful information.  Overtightenng the nuts was definitely one of my errors last night.

Thanks Mike.

gary

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #138 on: September 30, 2018, 04:22:12 PM »
Just catching up. Very sorry to see about the snag.

Be assured...it's not just you gaining knowledge. This is a very helpful to me and others.
I had no idea about using a rod or doubling up on o-rings.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #139 on: September 30, 2018, 10:24:50 PM »
Cheers Carl.

I'm sure the snag isn't insurmountable...  :thinking:

Great to know you are finding this thread helpful. Indeed, before  started it I scoured the net for the kind of info that has subsequently appeared on it and found very little.

If this thread becomes any kind of a one stop shop for neophyte boiler builders, then I am happy. As you suggest, the level of expertise which is generously shared on this forum is second to none.

BTW am currently reading your Popcorn Engine thread right through. It's a great read and again a fabulous learning resource  :ThumbsUp:

Cheers,

g

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #140 on: September 30, 2018, 10:33:51 PM »
In a fit of madness I've just bought a 3" horizontal boiler on ebay. It's untested but I'm a member of a club so should be able to get it checked and get a bit of advice etc. I didn't pay a lot so I thought it worth a gamble  ;)

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #141 on: September 30, 2018, 10:34:44 PM »
While I am waiting for the replacement water level gauge I thought I might as well lick my wounds and progress with other aspects.

Today I silver soldered the chimney on to the boiler cap. I was worried that I might melt the brass, so I used a low temp silver solder and my small oxy-mapp kit instead of the Sievert Thermobaric Uberblaster.

It worked fine and the brass didn't flinch, as hopefully the photos below illustrate:

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #142 on: September 30, 2018, 10:46:34 PM »
In a fit of madness I've just bought a 3" horizontal boiler on ebay. It's untested but I'm a member of a club so should be able to get it checked and get a bit of advice etc. I didn't pay a lot so I thought it worth a gamble  ;)

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, Peter. No reason to assume it isn't a viable boiler, and at least on ebay there is some recourse if someone sells you a lemon.

Best of luck, and I look forward to the updates!

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #143 on: September 30, 2018, 11:32:00 PM »
Chimney looks great - lovely job on the soldering!
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #144 on: October 01, 2018, 04:13:50 AM »
Hi Gary,
 A bit late to the party, nice looking boiler. On the gauge glass o-ring front, can’t remember why I did it, likely they were the only id o-rings I could get to fit the glass, but the od was either very tight or didn’t fit the nuts, so I got a bit of rod a bit, & I mean just a bit over the id, put more than required rings on it ( was doing this for 2 gauge glasses) & carefully turned the rings down so that they just fitted into the nut. So far I’ve had no problems with leaks & the extras are carefully tucked away. Doing this means you can use a bigger diameter /thicker o-ring. Hope this may be of help.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #145 on: October 01, 2018, 09:48:34 AM »
@ Stuart - thank you  :)

@ Kerrin - On my previous, failed effort I think I found that the o-rings were too thin, rather than too thick to go inside the nuts. That's why this time (when it arrives) I'm thinking of using two at each end, rather than one. Also, this time I'll follow Mike's advice above and not over-tighten the nuts. If I have understood you correctly it seems that maybe my issue here is different from the one you describe. However, if I'm still struggling after my second attempt I may come back to you on this. Cheers  :ThumbsUp:

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #146 on: October 02, 2018, 05:42:50 AM »
Hi Gary,
No problem. Currently on holiday so can’t check out the size I used, or the gauge glass size.....pretty sure the glasses are 5mm. As to the nuts yep finger tight.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #147 on: October 02, 2018, 09:40:39 AM »
Thanks Kerrin.

Am hoping the new gauge will arrive today. Will report back here on how it goes.

Enjoy your holiday!

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #148 on: October 02, 2018, 02:32:04 PM »

Am hoping the new gauge will arrive today. Will report back here on how it goes.

This time don't put a scaffolding pipe over the end of the spanner when you tighten the nuts  :Lol:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #149 on: October 02, 2018, 03:15:26 PM »

This time don't put a scaffolding pipe over the end of the spanner when you tighten the nuts  :Lol:
I had to do that once to get a stuck lug nut off a car with a flat - worked, but not recommended!  ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal