Author Topic: Simple inexpensive tooling items you can't do without.  (Read 6733 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Simple inexpensive tooling items you can't do without.
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2018, 07:43:46 PM »
Just clamp to fixed jaw and then as you swap the work pieces over you don't need to locate the edge of each one

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2018, 08:15:01 PM »
Thanks guys! Got it!
 :ThumbsUp:

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2018, 10:18:23 PM »

Strangely enough I thought I could never manage without a set of those 123 blocks so bought a set about five years ago. They are still in the box brand new and unused !!

That'll be a really big thread.....tools you were convinced you couldn't live without, but actually could :).

Here's the best I have - in terms of oh so constantly useful and so inexpensive.  Just a bit of cold rolled with a few tapped holes for a strap clamp, so simple its silly, but worth posting for the people who haven't seen it.  It gets used horizontally and vertically constantly.

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2018, 10:30:03 PM »
I use the edge finder on the right of this photo just about every time I use the Boley Jig Borer. It is super simple and quick to use if you have a DRO with the ½ function.
I didn't buy it though, I made it. It is just a small ball race on the end of a shaft, this one is shaped like a collet to fit the spindle but just a plain shaft held in your normal collet works just as well.
Phil

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2018, 10:36:42 PM »
If I were to pick out and comment on each idea...it would be one long post...or the number of posts would double.

So far, everything has been interesting and useful. (In fact some ideas got me thinking again about my need for rotary table.)

So thanks so far for the great idea...and 'keep them coming'.

Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2018, 10:54:40 PM »

That'll be a really big thread.....tools you were convinced you couldn't live without, but actually could :).

Dangerous. That information must never, ever be documented. As far as everyone outside of my shoppe is concerned, every tool I obtained is a gnats pizzicato away from being a literal lifesaver. And truth be damned.

:LittleDevil:
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 02:49:00 PM »
Oh and replying on my own reply, dont be afraid to make some small milling straps and clamps.   I have two little boxes of them   One 10-32 size and one 1/4-20 size  Theyre just a couple of straps.   Some are just bar stock with 2 holes in the...the back one tapped for a jack screw.  Again all sacrificial...you end up with quite the collection with time.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 04:58:12 PM by steamer »
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2018, 05:49:12 PM »
A coffee cup warmer has a permanent place on my work bench.  It is great for accelerating the cure of  Loctite and  drying of small painted items. Mine has a surface temperature of about 140 degrees F. It is AC powered and is rated at 17 watts.  It has a built in on/off switch and indicator light. I like the built in switch as opposed to the switch inline on the power cord. It also has a non-stick heating surface whick helps with cleanup.

Often found at garage sales,flea markets and thrift shops for US$  1 to  3.    If you are going to buy a new one, spend the big  bucks and get an AC powered one.  The really cheap ones are USB  powered and only about 5 watts which is not enough.  Available new starting at about $8  Also found at garage sales, flea markets and thrift shops  for $1 to $3.

As a side benefit it works well for keeping the coffee, tea and hot chocolate warm for those early morning and late nite workshop sessions.

Gail in NM
I would like to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2018, 07:59:09 PM »
Great stuff Marv!  I really like your idea of the guitar string worm gear source, that may see use on my Marion model for the steering gear.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2018, 08:17:09 PM »
Great stuff Marv!  I really like your idea of the guitar string worm gear source, that may see use on my Marion model for the steering gear.

Yes, and they're dead cheap too...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005N2RGJ8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Remove the black securing screw in the center of the gear and the whole thing falls apart into separate components.  The plastic knob is easily removed.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 11:24:48 PM »
I particularly like the sorting tray. I have several jars, tins and bags of things that need sorting out, and i can see the benefit to that item.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2018, 12:08:44 AM »
Once sorted, items need to be poured back into some sort of container/bag/etc.  You need a parts funnel and its opening should be somewhat more than twice the size of the largest item in order to avoid clogs forming in the opening.  Cut the top off a two liter plastic soda bottle; use as is for smaller items, widen opening for larger.

When doing a lot of sorting, I mount the funnel in a laboratory flask holder (relic from my chemistry days).  Then I can put the container under the funnel and simply dump the items from the tray into it.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2018, 02:34:35 AM »
I'm torn as to whether or not you NEED this one, but storing small parts can be a pain to do neatly and securely and allow quick access..

The RC community has been dealing with this for some time and some pretty cool products are on the market.

I have 2 of these, and even with shipping from Europe, they were worth it.    Like I said....I'd be hard pressed to say need here, but they are cool

Multi compartment storage.
https://rsrc.biz/en/rsrc-products/1180-pama-box-56-compartments.html

Here's some similar products stateside that you might want to look at.
https://picclick.com/36pcs-Small-Transparent-Plastic-Square-Storage-Container-Box-322224727630.html

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 03:52:10 AM by steamer »
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2018, 08:16:27 AM »
Those look useful Dave, not that I need to buy any more storage. I have been giving away the red 8 and 10 compartment trays to any unsuspecting person who visits for a Jaffa cake :mischief: The yellow compartment tray is a few years old as I acquired them as an apprentice and they are still going strong. The next set of give aways are top right the clear trays and the grey with yellow inserts.

These trays complement the normal plastic drawers very well and are well suited to keeping things like drills and taps in  ;)

Jo

P.S. I only have about another 50 of those red boxes to give away and then it will be safe to visit again  ::)
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal