Author Topic: Commander Lubricator  (Read 10360 times)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: Commander Lubricator
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2018, 03:52:37 PM »
How are you finding retirement now that you have had a few months practise?

Still trying to get used to it. I'm told it has something to do with 'purpose'.
Every day I wake up thinking there's something I HAVE to do but there isn't.
Started off great...then went into a funk (which may be somewhat related to my quitting smoking).
Some family members think I'm starting to come out of it but I think it will be a while yet.
Nothing unusual.  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2018, 04:58:52 PM »
Still trying to get used to it. I'm told it has something to do with 'purpose'.
Every day I wake up thinking there's something I HAVE to do but there isn't.

I thought the purpose of retirement is so that we can make swarf to our heart's content to hopefully make all those model engines we have acquired casting sets for, buy more machine tools, have time to play while not having it disrupted by having to go and work for someone else   :noidea:

Jo

P.S. Surus just reminded me of another important requirement of retirement: Having enough spare money to be able to buy additional model casting sets for his collection whenever they turn up  :pinkelephant:
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2018, 07:23:14 PM »
I’m trying to follow along and it appears that you are doing a great job. I sometimes wonder though Jo, why you get all the prints with so many errors  :shrug:. On this retirement thing: funny but sad, there’s been several people I’ve known that retired and shortly thereafter, assumed room temperature. Maybe that’s why I keep working :lolb: 

Cletus

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2018, 07:49:41 PM »
On this retirement thing: funny but sad, there’s been several people I’ve known that retired and shortly thereafter, assumed room temperature. Maybe that’s why I keep working :lolb: 

I thought that being happy and contented was the purpose of life  :noidea:

Ask any of my friends: you haven't seen anybody do so much as me when I try to do nothing  :lolb:

Jo

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2018, 08:03:30 PM »
Oh, but, Jo, I am quite happy and contented. I have a pretty much unlimited tools and toys budget, a 22 acre farm paid for, nice heated and cooled shop, I have 18 employees that I thank for providing all of the above by paying them way above industry pay standards, and I get to drink a beer at work any damn time I please. Now, do I hate getting up each morning at 2:30 am, you damn right I do, and that’s where I start thinking retirement,  but I just ain’t ready to start “watching me pennies” : I just keep getting my old arse up  :lolb: :Jester:

Cletus

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2018, 09:09:19 PM »
I thought that being happy and contented was the purpose of life

While I agree that 'happy and contented' is the (or a) goal, the question is about how to get there and how to maintain it.
In my case, I'm not a casting fondler (generally).  ;D

When I talked to the doc (a female) about it, she said it was typical for males to feel a sense of loss of purpose.
She may have said that to make me feel there was nothing unusual.

Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2018, 11:03:51 PM »
When I talked to the doc (a female) about it, she said it was typical for males to feel a sense of loss of purpose.
She may have said that to make me feel there was nothing unusual.

Not at all - it's a very real issue apparently, and very normal for retired men. I don't want to take the thread way off topic here, so I may go and start something in Chatterbox later on.

For my part, I could retire right now and I wouldn't run out of stuff to keep me occupied, not even including the wife's constant flow of "things to be done to keep him out of that damn shed".

Nice lubricator Jo. Excellent work as always. I'm following along, mostly silently, unless I sense a need to chime in unnecessarily.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2018, 06:47:22 AM »
Now, do I hate getting up each morning at 2:30 am, you damn right I do, and that’s where I start thinking retirement,  but I just ain’t ready to start “watching me pennies”

If you are worried about the pennies best keep working  :stickpoke: You can pay the taxes to keep the rest of us going :lolb: I, of course, am committed to working hard for the next 12 days and retiring 16 years early :mischief:

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal