Author Topic: Commander Lubricator  (Read 10358 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Commander Lubricator
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2018, 11:22:38 AM »
The drawing is from 1983...

I found another dimension that is different on the pump to that on the cover  :facepalm: Good job I am working hard today … rather than having got on and drilled holes. This does not bode well of the rest of the drawings  :(

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2018, 11:33:54 AM »
1983, that would have been a year or two before I started my Minnie, built without a milling machine as was the beam engine that would have been made about then. As there were not so many hobbiests who mills them then and no DROs on hobby machines.

Maybe if you get a minute or two to spare between all that hard work it may be worth drawing it out in Alibre to check and find any differences

« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 11:38:28 AM by steamer »

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2018, 11:38:50 AM »
1983, that would have been a year or two before I started my Minnie, built without a milling machine as was the beam engine that would have been made about then. As there were not so many hobbiests who mills them then and no DROs on hobby machines.

Maybe if you get a minute or two to spare between all that hard work it may be worth drawing it out in Alibre to check and find any differences

That would be time well spent!!   Cheaper too!
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2018, 01:15:41 PM »
Re-drawn, drilled/reamed and I am pleased to say it all fits together. The clutches seem to be tapered more on one end than the other  :thinking: which makes them easier to insert one way than the other. Note: this being a metric clutch it needs a 6.5mm reamer which of course we all have  ::)

So now a bit more work thinking about how to machine the main tube.

Jo

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2018, 01:48:51 PM »
At the rate you are going it will be pumping the red stuff by this evening, assuming your tea break is long enough to get the work done.

Do you have M1.6 brass screws or will you opt for 10BA that are more likely to be in stock

J
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 01:54:14 PM by Jasonb »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2018, 05:56:18 PM »
Not tonight the workshop gnome is back  :rant: I was happily assembling the clutch arrangement and I reckon he was busy with a new fangled magnet as one of the clutches shot out of my fingers and heard and saw it bounce on the floor  :facepalm: I looked and looked, swept the floor...30 mins later I heard a snigger and the little  :censored: had put it back on the bench where I had been working  :noidea:

M1.6 is an odd size: I have M1.5 and M1.8 and M2 but no M1.6 clearly it is not an avionics standard size  :-\ and I also don't have any taps/dies to suit. I quick phone call to my supplier has confirmed the availability of 10BA Brass screws but they will not arrive until next week at the earliest as he is still hoping that we will have forgotten that it was him who acquired the packet of Sticky Wotsits at the Guildford show and took them all home to scoff  :ShakeHead:

While I have set up the piece of tube ready to machine I'm going to play it safe tonight and go and find some way to recover from the shock of the return of the Workshop Gnome  :wine1:

Jo

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2018, 06:01:51 PM »
Gotta put out some cookie bribes for the gnome! Do Jaffas work on them? Dont have that kind here so dont have it in the Gnome Control Book.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2018, 06:56:31 PM »
M1.6 is a prefered metric coarse & fine size falling between M1.2 and M2. and likely why Mr Pid spec'd it on his drawing. You do find M1.4 gets used on models as well, not seen much M1.8 but both these two are non preferred.

M1.5 is very non standard though you would think it a logical size in metric.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 07:00:26 PM by Jasonb »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2018, 07:53:50 PM »
I do not have taps or dies for M1.6 either so buying some is a very expensive option.

My supplier has 10BA screws available. I have taps and dies for that size so I am going to use 10BA.

Jo

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2018, 07:59:09 PM »
I do not have taps or dies for M1.6 either so buying some is a very expensive option.

With talk like that anyone would think you have retired already and are stretching out your pension.  :LittleDevil:

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2018, 08:38:42 PM »
Yes finances once retired will be a bit different  :cartwheel: At least I own my own house so I don't have to worry about spiralling rent, mortgage repayments as interest rates go up or will risk having to down grade  ;)

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2018, 12:00:21 PM »
Having put a micrometer to my small metric screw collection I can confirm that only about 50 are 1.5mm by 0.35 pitch. Another few thousand cheese headed stainless screws are actually M1.6 by 0.35 so at vast expense (£2.35) I have brought myself 4 Chinese HSS taps to see if they are made out of stale cheese, instant snap-odium or possibly they could prove useful  :noidea:

In the meantime I have been hard at work: The holes to mount the end covers have been drilled 1.4mm for the 10BA tapping size (1200 rpm). Having carefully drilled and tapped the two hole for the ends the Erickson boring head  :Love: was brought out to help with the bushes holes. First the hole were drilled using small carbide drills (1200 rpm), then a series of carbide end mills (1200 RPM) before moving on to the boring head (234 rpm) with its rather nice Swiss boring bar in it  :embarassed: The problem with this head is that it only bores out to 19mm to go further you must add the extender which fits in the side of the tool holding arm.

We are now at a stage to be able to silver solder in the bushes and it probably worth mentioning that that nice shiny tube of brass is covered by a protective coating which will not take silver solder very well (copper rivets for boilers are also protectively coated  ::) ) so havign removed the burrs it is worth while using a needle file to clean up around the holes to encourage a nice fillet. Having dampened around the holes and the outside of the bushes the bushes were dipped in the flux powder providing a powdery coating round their outside. Inserting the bushes in the holes the flux finds a bit more moisture and gathers in the joint were we want it and not everywhere else like when it trys to dribble down the outside of the work  :facepalm: 

Into the hearth.  :o I hadn't realised how much clutter has built up in there... those are all old bits of steel used to keep the heat in where silver soldering ;) The tube was balanced on the big bush and two short ends of silver solder added to either side on the inside. The top bush was left without any silver solder. Applying heat to the side rather than were the joints are, the top bush heated by means of convection, it was dobbed  :naughty: with a stick of 1.5mm which had been lightly warmed and dipped in the flux until the end of the stick just started melting and a little more heat and I watched the silver flow round the joint. In the mean time the bottom joint had done its own thing and the silver had flashed round.

A very quick dip in the acid and there is very little to clean up. The bottom bush is good but the top bush is showing a little bit of over heating but more than ok for an oil tank. It must be nearly Lunch time, which means I am allowed in the workshop. Don't you love this working from home  :lolb:

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2018, 02:29:08 PM »
By using a "short vee block" the existing holes in the tube were used as a guide for drilling and then tapping the 12 10BA screw holes and then countersunk. 10BA screws have been shortened and inserted. at this point I realised that I had forgotten to put the pump inside  :facepalm: So dismantled and de-swarfed it has been put back together.

I still have to add the mounting bracket but both that and the banjo will have to wait until the rest of the engine is together so that is goes together right. So that's it for the Commander's Lubricator :)

Work time.. one has to make the most of going to work while you still can  :mischief:

Jo

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2018, 02:30:52 PM »
 :ThumbsUp:
Good post on the soldering and helpful.
What tells you the upper bushing may have overheated?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2018, 03:28:38 PM »
Thanks Zee  :),

If you look at the second joint you will see it is dull and has a cratered surface - that is the silver over heating. Like with soft soldering a dull joint can tell you it is possibly a dry joint but for a lubricator tank that is not a concern.

How are you finding retirement now that you have had a few months practise?

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal