Author Topic: Commander Lubricator  (Read 10357 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Commander Lubricator
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2018, 02:20:50 PM »
I think Jo has taken up colouring in though she really needs another shade of yellow to keep brass and bronze separate.

Good stage on Le Tour today with plenty of crashes, will watch Moto GP highlights Tomorrow

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2018, 02:43:27 PM »
Ok Jo I’ll bite

What’s with the colour code on the drawings never seen a reeves drawing with colours, Or is it some secret system that you use, 

Its old age Stuart  :-[ Unless I am making and fitting bits as I go along I loose track of which bits I have made and which bits I still have to go (the two shades of green are because one of the pens ran out  :-\ ). The numbers in circles are because these are yet another set of drawings where the parts are not numbered  :ShakeHead: Being an engineer I have to have parts lists for all my engine and track progress on them.

I also use colouring in as JB calls it to track my engine designing from works GAs

I don't know you guys with too much time on your hands. Some of us only get two days a week in our workshops, the other 5 days we have to go to work to pay taxes to fund your old age pensions, we can't spend our valuable workshop time watching SPORT  :hellno:

A section of that piece of cast bronze is now masquerading as a bit of bar stock. Now it is time to redesign the pump shape to what is actually needed  :thinking: And have you seen the lack of lack of a references on that pump drawing, its all over the place  :disappointed: And all the A/F dimensions on this drawing is half what it should be  :noidea:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2018, 03:01:46 PM »
Yeah Jo...first thing I'd do with that drawing is redraw it with proper datums   that would drive me nuts!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2018, 03:08:31 PM »
Just as well you still have plenty of time to raid the stationary cupboard at work for a few more pens ;)

A nicely water colour rendered drawing can look good but you really need to print them on a heavy paper so they don't cockle up

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2018, 03:58:49 PM »
Jo
Thought you watched F1 it that technology or sport not sure  :stir:

Yes I understand now the colour scheme bit like a memo board, each to there own method if I can’t find a bit for the job in hand I make one then find two  :old:

Anyway nice docs as usual and great work

88’s
Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2018, 04:49:39 PM »
Just as well you still have plenty of time to raid the stationary cupboard at work for a few more pens ;)

The stationary cupboard is a waste of time: There are no nice graph paper and lined Engineering note books :ShakeHead:, no ink for your Fountain pens :facepalm: All it has is Bic biros and cheap clear plastic clicky pencils with writing down the side so you can't even use the body for lubricator glass  :disappointed: Sadly due to cut backs we keep closing building/sites and every time we do they throw out the stationary as they cannot be bothered to move it and it is a free for all  ::) No I have more stationary than I know what to do with and the local nursery school did very well out of our stationary disposals as well  :ThumbsUp:

Thought you watched F1 it that technology or sport not sure  :stir:

This is the last year of F1  :'( No more will it be on License fee payers TV, instead it is on that premium service that I refuse to get ripped off by again  :Director:

I have decided that  :old: is getting the better of me and having drawn up the hole positioning and centre punched it I am not willing to risk doing any more while I am this tired so it is time to athetize myself to what I know is going to be all over the news  :wine1:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2018, 05:07:01 PM »
I thought the idea of a datum was all measurements were taken from it, that looks even more confusing :-\. maybe it would make more sense after a glass or two?

As for punching the holes I hardly ever do that now, just locate an edge and side (hence the datum) and use the DRO to do the rest.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 05:10:55 PM by Jasonb »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2018, 05:40:29 PM »
I thought the idea of a datum was all measurements were taken from it, that looks even more confusing :-\ . maybe it would make more sense after a glass or two?

As for punching the holes I hardly ever do that now, just locate an edge and side (hence the datum) and use the DRO to do the rest.
That looks a lot like the diagrams I do all the time, starting from a known point, lays out the distances from one hole to the next in X/Y increments. Drill a hole, advance that many ticks/mm/inches/furlongs, drill the next... Very handy for doing matching patterns on mating parts, or just spot drilling then drilling a whole pattern without swapping the bits on every swarfing hole.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2018, 06:38:31 PM »
What no rods poles or perches or chains ( opps that’s the distance between two sets of three wooden sticks in a field on which a rain dance is performed ) it’s 22 yards and they are chains with long links and are used in road layout

Very old UK units of measurement

Sorry Jo about F1

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2018, 06:42:22 PM »
You can get metric chains now which will please Jo, 20m long though it's been a while since I did a chain survey.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2018, 06:43:20 PM »
What no rods poles or perches or chains ( opps that’s the distance between two sets of three wooden sticks in a field on which a rain dance is performed ) it’s 22 yards and they are chains with long links and are used in road layout

Very old UK units of measurement

Sorry Jo about F1
I had not heard of perches before, other than under birds feet or on a fish hook...

Favorite measurement is furlongs per fortnight...

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2018, 06:48:01 PM »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2018, 08:05:02 PM »
I am pleased to say that Imperialious measurements were many years ago here in the UK replaced by modern measurements = metric and in the main imperialism only lingers on in the outer backwaters of the British Colonies although most have now modernised :ThumbsUp: and of course imperialous measures are still preferred by those who work in the brown stuff  :paranoia: For me the inch is idea for measuring the brown stuff because an inch here or there matters little as the substance is destined to provide cheap domestic heating  :ThumbsUp:

I should admit that I also use other measurement systems that follow traditional measurement techniques e.g. for spacing out my vegetable beds it is " will my kneeling pad fit in the gap"  ::)

Jo

« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 08:08:39 PM by Jo »

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2018, 08:39:54 PM »
Strangely some of the colonies have totally accepted metric and measure speed and distance in Km but here in the UK good old miles still prevail. Same with plumbing fittings which are still all BSP

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2018, 08:47:38 PM »
Strangely some of the colonies have totally accepted metric and measure speed and distance in Km but here in the UK good old miles still prevail. Same with plumbing fittings which are still all BSP

Unless you are a bbc ( hawk,spit, ptooing ) so-called journalist, in which case it's something called a 'Football Pitch'.  :rant:

Dave

BTW If you look at many semiconductor package dimensions they are quoted in Metric but are actually in Inches. ie 1.27mm pin spacing is .050"  :ThumbsUp:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 09:00:29 PM by Bluechip »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal