Author Topic: Commander Lubricator  (Read 10374 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Commander Lubricator
« on: July 10, 2018, 09:20:18 AM »
Whilst looking for something simple to make I came across the need to make a lubricator. Its an odd looking thing  :headscratch:

To make this I have two cast bronze end caps and have scrounged an undersized length of brass tube from my supplier - the complaints department will be writing to him not only is the outside of the tube not the requested 65mm  :ShakeHead: but it is not 60mm long either  :disappointed: So a few changes to the dimensions will be necessary.

I considered paying the vast sum that Reeves wanted for the pump casting but my natural skinflint nature decided it was better to look for a piece of come-in-handieum to make that out of  :-X

Jo
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 09:29:24 AM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Commander Lubricator
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 12:14:44 PM »
Is that lubricating the bearings or the internals?

I have a similar one lubricating the big ends on the conrods on my boat.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 02:16:21 PM »
That's the pump for driving the steam oil into the steam inlet pipe.  :headscratch: It is only used on the HP steam inlet and mounts on the side of the HP Valve chest.

It has a separate lubrication tank that supplies the Big Ends, Crankshaft, Eccentrics and Small ends.

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 02:20:42 PM »
Why scratchy head :headscratch: :headscratch:

The oil laden steam will be carried from valve chest to cylinder to valve chest to cylinder and out the exhaust to a separator (if fitted) so no need for a second one for steam oil to do the LP cylinder.

The other tank for the bearings will be best with a regular oil not steam oil.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 02:44:01 PM »
Correct   the steam in the LP is much cooler and will be wet which is all the lubrication you need.   You run as little oil as is possible with a condensing plant so you keep oil out of the boiler
Damned ijjit!

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 03:19:44 PM »
Thanks Guys  :ThumbsUp:

The end caps are pot holed :facepalm: and as that is the bit everyone can see its is best to start with facing those. Mounted in the three jaw and held by outside jaws the first cut was made. You can see that the casting was slightly thicker on one side than the other on the first cut. It took two more cuts to get rid of the pot hole but it still has plenty of meat left  :ThumbsUp: I repeated with the other end.

Before turning the other sides I need a gauge that is going to be the tube, which of course has not been cut square  :ShakeHead: Holding this in a three jaw is not a good idea as it will distort the tube and as soon as you show it the tool the flexing of the tube against the tool pressure will let it move  :Doh: So best knock up some bungs, in this case I have found a couple of bits of plastic from the come-in-handies shelves and turned them to be a tight fit into the bore. One on either end and these can be used to hold the tube while it is squared up.

Did I mention the piece of tube is not the 60 mm long as ordered :Director:

I have been in contact with the very nice Lady at Polly Wobbles and she is sending me two pairs of small roller clutches for £13.90 a pair, they only charge £2.50 P&P and I have been promised they will be here tomorrow   8)

Jo

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 03:42:17 PM »
Jo

I have no idea what the clutches you bought are but Simply Bearings do 'em.

Free PP 2

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=roller+clutch

Dave

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 03:57:58 PM »
Thanks Dave  :) But simply Bearings do not go small enough these have a 3mm internal bore.

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 06:00:28 PM »
The flange on the ends of the lubricator tank are not very wide but at 2mm they are wide enough to hold in a decent quality three jaw chuck  :ThumbsUp: However the tendency would be to try to over tighten the jaws to make sure it is tight and these are made of that soft squidgy metal known as gunmetal. So the first requirement it to add some packing pieces between the edges of the jaws and the edge of the end caps. Not an easy job unless you first use double sided sticky tape to keep them where they are needed  :naughty: A couple of packers behind and a bit of support just in case the just tight enough but not too tight jaws try slipping and the part that goes into the brass tube can be turned and checked it goes into the tube.

The temptation would be to leave this over length but changing dimensions can cause other issues and on this one then the spigot that comes through the cover on one end would need lengthening. So taken to the required 12mm thick I have two end covers which are a good fit onto the brass tube  :)

While it has been nice and cool in my workshop today I think it still might be Pimms weather :cheers:

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 01:21:47 PM »
My clutches have arrived from Polly Wobbles  :ThumbsUp:

The bad news is that the outside is bigger than they advertised. Thankfully I had not machined where they are to go yet  ;D.

Jo
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 01:25:26 PM by Jo »

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 01:24:05 PM »

The bad news is that they are not the imperial ones I thought I had ordered but metric. Thankfully I had not machined where they are to go yet  ;D.

Jo

Well you did say in an earlier post that they were 3.0mm bore :Doh:

But whey do you want imperial as the drawings are all in metric, are you now converting metric back into imperial :lolb:

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 01:27:12 PM »

The bad news is that they are not the imperial ones I thought I had ordered but metric. Thankfully I had not machined where they are to go yet  ;D.

Jo

Well you did say in an earlier post that they were 3.0mm bore :Doh:

But whey do you want imperial as the drawings are all in metric, are you now converting metric back into imperial :lolb:

Someone confused me by pointing at these the other day https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Bearings/Needle-Roller-Clutches/RC02-Drawn-Cup-Needle-Roller-Clutch-One-Way-18x932x14 as you can see imperial but nearly 1/3rd dearer  :ShakeHead:

Jo

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 01:32:16 PM »
How about here....don't know about VAT or shipping though

https://www.mcmaster.com/#roller-clutches/=1dnzci8

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2018, 12:40:51 PM »
I've been making lots of little bits for the Lubricator: A few shots of the more interesting machining: Cross drilling the banjo using the hex flats on the bolt, normally I use a 5C block in the vice. One of the great things about doing that is you can then transfer the block onto the UPT for tapping holes. Sexy  :Love: fluted a bit of 4mm bronze to make the valve plunger. As I mentioned lots of bits.

As there is nothing worth watching on tv for the rest of the day and it is nice and cool in the workshop I might as well look at the possibilities of using a spare casting as a bit of bar stock to make the pump casting... its either that or start thinking about the joys of another week at work  ::)

Jo

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2018, 02:01:56 PM »
Ok Jo I’ll bite

What’s with the colour code on the drawings never seen a reeves drawing with colours

Or is it some secret system that you use

Ok with the numbers to a sensible measurement system

Not your thing but MotoGP was good

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal