Author Topic: Commander Lubricator  (Read 10355 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Commander Lubricator
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2018, 09:10:00 PM »
Strangely some of the colonies have totally accepted metric and measure speed and distance in Km but here in the UK good old miles still prevail.

Yes the cost of replacing all the road signs like so many things in life was too much for the UK Government  ::) But they still chose to put £0.5795 tax on per litre of fuel + Vat @20% rather than quoting it as £2.63 + Vat per gallon which sounds more expensive. How many of us measure km per litre rather than miles per gallon for our cars?  :old:  :old:

The measurement of science is metric and if you recall I am a scientist  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2018, 10:34:00 PM »
Strangely some of the colonies have totally accepted metric and measure speed and distance in Km but here in the UK good old miles still prevail.

Yes the cost of replacing all the road signs like so many things in life was too much for the UK Government  ::) But they still chose to put £0.5795 tax on per litre of fuel + Vat @20% rather than quoting it as £2.63 + Vat per gallon which sounds more expensive. How many of us measure km per litre rather than miles per gallon for our cars?  :old:  :old:

The measurement of science is metric and if you recall I am a scientist  ;)

Jo

No ...you're a RETIRED scientist...….
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2018, 06:19:23 AM »
No ...you're a RETIRED scientist...….

Not yet  :(

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2018, 07:03:39 AM »
Does that include NASA scientists :LittleDevil:

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2018, 07:20:17 AM »
Does that include NASA scientists :LittleDevil:

NASA policy - NPD 7120.4.  ::)

Work time  :cartwheel:

Jo

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2018, 08:33:42 AM »
Workshop time  :stir:
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2018, 09:17:32 AM »
Egg and sausage butty time x 2....   :stir:

( No, it ain't a late brekky  :D  More like early lunch, been up since 04:20.

Dave

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2018, 06:52:59 PM »
Sausage butties sounds nice  :naughty:

Each of the centre punches was drilled out to 1.5mm and the bypass valve extension checked before it was silver soldered on.

Then it was a case of drilling, reaming and tapping the various holes to size/depth. The pump extension had to be milled round to a height of 8mm so the return spring could fit over the spigot.

I decided I did not like the original valve design :hellno: it had a bobbin and needed a incey wincey diameter spring, instead I left the bobbing out and just used a 2.4mm diameter spring between the top grub screw and the 3.2mm ball  :ThumbsUp:

And I am not convinced it is going to pump: there is no inlet valve it is totally reliant on the pump plunger blocking off the inlet hole on its way down its hole. And the inlet was another hole that had missing dimensions  :facepalm:

Enough work for today  :wine1:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2018, 07:24:31 PM »
My Minnie one that I made works OK with no ball or other valve on the inlet as does the commercial one that I bought for the Fowler. Most designs I have seen don't use one. Just need a good fit

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2018, 09:43:23 PM »
BTW If you look at many semiconductor package dimensions they are quoted in Metric but are actually in Inches. ie 1.27mm pin spacing is .050"  :ThumbsUp:

Very true .... but the latest and smaller are going more in the direction of metric decimal fractions - this started with connectors.

Still following your build Jo  :cheers:

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2018, 07:36:13 AM »
JB: My guess is that the viscosity of the steam oil would help, also the high pressure steam acting something like displacement lubricator at the other end of the pipe  :noidea:

Still following your build Jo  :cheers:

Thanks Per,

Must think of something to do at work today  :thinking: I hate it when there are so many choices, so many fun things I could do  ::)

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2018, 09:51:18 AM »
I probably need to drill the end covers next: The drawing is very helpful in that it shows drilling from the front, when it needs to be drilled from the rear because of the position of the camshaft support boss  :disappointed: so the first job is to redraw it the right ways round and then play spot the moving datum line. Yes two holes are offset from the centre point on the cover and the others are shown offset from the top line of holes not the centre of the cover  :Doh:

The easy way to do this is to mount it on a plate on the milling table bed using a jig made from scrap-bin-ium. The plate was approximately lined up to work out where the mounting clamps were going to go and then taken off again to have it drilled and tapped.

Back on the bed and a bit of jiggery pokery was needed using a pointy tip to locate the centre of the casting, raise the tip and then offset it to see where it came on the boss on the back of the casting. As this point it was confirmed that indeed the reference line for the top hole should not be 18mm offset from the centre of the cover... Once we have a happy location of the centre of the came shaft relative to the centre of the cover and the boss it became clear that the 3mm offset line from the centre is actually the reference line  :Director: so finally we are ready to make swarf  :)

Jo

« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 10:04:26 AM by Jo »

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2018, 10:36:22 AM »
Yikes!!!!!   That was a lot of work to just draw the original print!!!     That could have been drawn so much easier if a bit of method was thought about.  glad your sorted it

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2018, 11:11:47 AM »
I suppose when the model originally came out you would not have had a DRO and possibly had to do the drilling on lathe too, so marking out on the outside would have been easier then just pick up the 9/32 bore  to do the 10mm counterbore
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 11:17:52 AM by Jasonb »

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2018, 11:18:51 AM »
Well   doing that in the lathe is possible...but I wouldn't if I had the Mill...even without a DRO...provided I could trust the mill

Still....the datum selection is NUTS on that drawing....

Dave
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal