Author Topic: Sherline rotary table adapted to a Aciera F1  (Read 1898 times)

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Sherline rotary table adapted to a Aciera F1
« on: July 05, 2018, 11:31:52 PM »
The Mighty....or mini F1 is highly sought after.  I got mine by basically tripping over it!   Its well equipped!...which is good, because the prices for the unobtanium accessories is mind bending!...

One thing I really wanted was the small manual rotary table....HEHEHE   Good Luck!.....I've copied a contemporary Ebay listing for the very item.....my oh my does it make my eyes water!...

Ok  I found a Sherline rotary table that had the spigot put on the base to drop into the receiver of the mill.   Cool!   Reasonably priced as well!   

Ok   Problem.   The home made stem is 1.374".    The actual spigot is 35mm or 1.377....so it's a sloppy fit at best, and as these are living hinge style clamps, I'm not keen on reefing down on the clamp and maybe cracking a casting carefully scraped by the trolls in the black forest....So....I'm making a new one.

It's not that complicated, but it does require some careful between centers work.  I have the new stem which will be pressed/loctited into the base plate next to it, and then the base plate will be turned all over between centers and mounted to the Sherline rotary table...and I'm in like Flynn!...

the shop is in the high 90's today  ( about 37C) so I've done all I'm doing with it....time to find a libation!..
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline rklopp

Re: Sherline rotary table adapted to a Aciera F1
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 03:36:28 AM »
Aciera equipment seems to be priced inversely proportional to the size. I bought my F5 with two tables and a transformer for less than twice the asking price of that round F1 table. One of my tables is the tilting model, and looks like it has never been used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 01:54:18 PM »
Yup...its nuts...and I've been watching them for at least a year....they only go up in price, never down.   I saw a rebuilt F1 with only the fixed table going for 10.5K Euro like right now.   No DRO, no CNC, none of the accessories.

I have the fixed table, indexing head, dividing head, tilt vise, English W12 collets full set, English W12 arbors full set, over arms for mill and dividing head, tilt trunnion, and the hand levers...….

In very good condition...no wear that I can see.

It's not going anywhere.... 8)

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Online Twizseven

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 03:01:52 PM »
Steamer,

You did amazingly well to get all that kit with it.  I keep watching the bits on Ebay but like you say the prices are astronomical. There is a guy, I think in Poland, who by the look of it makes fixed tables.  Even one of these non genuine went for around £400 compared to the £1360 required by the guy in the States for a genuine one.

Colin

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 03:08:38 PM »
Steamer,

You did amazingly well to get all that kit with it.  I keep watching the bits on Ebay but like you say the prices are astronomical. There is a guy, I think in Poland, who by the look of it makes fixed tables.  Even one of these non genuine went for around £400 compared to the £1360 required by the guy in the States for a genuine one.

Colin

Thanks Colin...I did.  The prices are just horrifying.  I have the much desired tilt swivel vise.   to be honest, it's not that great a vise.  I'd rather have that Morrison and Marvin "Kurt Style" on it, and it's about the same size.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 12:07:07 AM »
OK I got the 4-40 taps for the Wallaby build, but the lathe is still set up for the rotary table adapter, so Im finishing that first.    Here I opened up the base plate to receive the new post and locktited it in place.   But before I could do that, I had to get a part modified for work...like work work.      It's a setting cam for a piece of production equipment that I needed to adjust.

First picture

The Id and OD are round with no features, so I made an expanding arbor for it

Second picture

the expansion is accomplished with a 1/8 NPT pipe plug which is a tapered thread.   Works a treat!

Part all cut

Third picture

And the rotary table adapter

forth picture

Dave

Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 01:46:45 AM »
Work-work? What's that  :lolb:

Bill

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 03:51:48 AM »
And with some turning and some clean up  done and dusted  Here it is ready to work!.....but not work work.

8)

Dave

Damned ijjit!

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 05:08:10 AM »
Work-work? What's that  :lolb:

Bill

Some of us are counting the days  :stickpoke: 

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 11:39:14 AM »
Now I see where you were headed with this Dave. Have you decided yet on the CNC conversion...which system I mean?

Bill

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 12:12:11 PM »
Not entirely yet.   though the Division master is quite attractive...

Yeah I'm heading there....that wil give full tilt rotary table with essentially infinite possibilities.   

Though the dividing head on this little beast is awesome...

Dave
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal