Author Topic: Building a bigger Easton & Anderson Grasshopper  (Read 107384 times)

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Building a bigger Easton & Anderson Grasshopper
« Reply #255 on: November 16, 2014, 01:05:32 PM »
Willy, as I only intended to run my engine on air I did not build the Meyer valves but just followed Anthony Mounts design with a dummy so did not do any research into the subject

Thanks Mike

J

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #256 on: November 16, 2014, 02:37:14 PM »
When I fist saw the diagonal construction of the valve chest, I gave it some thought and concluded that it was done to allow access to the valve face for finishing with a shaper or hand scraper.  It effectively removes one wall of the valve chest.  If all the walls of the valve chest were cast integral with the cylinder, I can't see how the valve face would have been finished with the tools of that era.

It also reduces the number of castings.  Usually the valve face is cast with the cylinder and then a rectangular box and a separate valve cover is added, more bolts, and more assembly. 

This is just an opinion with no supporting data, but after seeing it, I wondered why more engines weren't made that way.

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #257 on: November 20, 2014, 12:06:19 AM »
Willy, as I only intended to run my engine on air I did not build the Meyer valves but just followed Anthony Mounts design with a dummy so did not do any research into the subject

Thanks Mike

J
Jason, Thanks for that, I shall see what i can find out on the web.I too will have to try and do some research into the inner workings of the Beeleigh Woolf compound. !!

Willy.

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #258 on: September 26, 2018, 12:33:55 PM »
Have just read this thread from start to finish.

I couldn't keep away from it! Absolutely magnificent work. If I ever get to be 0.001 times as good as this, I'll be very happy...

:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal