Author Topic: Morrison & Marvin Mill Vise  (Read 2451 times)

Offline Bobsmodels

Morrison & Marvin Mill Vise
« on: July 03, 2018, 01:51:42 AM »
Hi All

I see Morrison and Marvin products getting some press recently.  I spoke with Dave and you may get a double bill.

A couple of weeks ago I started on the Mill Vise  from Morrison & Martin.  LuElla of Morrison & Martin had a partial kit and sent me all the materials including the nut, the major castings coming later.  I am currently building Doug Kelly's Bates & Edmonds and like to have a side project for when I get stuck.  The Mill Vise is what I will be working on in between the Bates parts.

It will be a bit of slow article as it is summer and I attend about 10 shows displaying my models, gardening, and other outside stuff.  I do not get back to machining chips on a regular schedule until October.    Once I make a part I will publish any fixtures and photos.  Included will be all my practice parts ( ie scrap), changes / modifications, and fixtures I use.  I hope to finish by April.

To get going I made the swivel nuts.   I chucked up the stock and turned to diameter.  I have a nose thread of my lathe mounted on my rotary table so I just transferred the chuck to it and milled the hex.  I took it back to the lathe beveled the hex, threaded the hole and parted it off.   These were two nice parts to get me started on the project, sort of breaking the ice.

Next installment will be the swivel bolts.

Bob

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Morrison & Marvin Mill Vise
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 02:08:57 AM »
Dave might be envious of those nuts Bob. Very nice!!

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 06:26:34 AM »
I do like the look of this little vise  :)

I normally do my nuts on an indexing head rather than a rotary table  :thinking: I wonder if there is any advantage in either.

I am not allowed to air my thoughts about anyone's nuts  :embarassed:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 12:32:02 AM »
Hi Bob

Thanks for deciding to post your vise build, it is going to be fun to see how you decide to go about machining the various parts.
The nuts look great BTW!

Dave

Offline kvom

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 01:04:04 PM »
Lots of ways to make nuts.  I have done them:

- hex stock
- hex collet block
- rotary table
- CNC mill
- Credit card to AME

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 01:43:50 PM »
I built this model a few years ago. I like it a lot. One caution,, unless they have updated the drawings the two nuts that lock the vise base to the swivel base are dimensioned double size. If you make them to plan they will not fit. Check before you build.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 03:24:50 PM »
Hi Ron

The vise Bob is working on, is the new Model Mill (Kurt style) Vise, the one you have built I'm guessing is the Wilton style Model Builders Vise.
As a little side project late 2016 and early 2017, I started from scratch and modeled the complete vise in Alibre and created a completely new drawing package for it.
I'm hoping that we caught any mistakes in the drawings, but if someone finds any in either of current drawing sets please let me or Roland know.

So in the past two years I have modeled and and created drawing sets for two different vise projects. now where did I put that Pacific project.  :lolb:

Dave

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 05:48:45 PM »
Correct, I did the Wilton vise, which I bought at NAMES at least 3 years ago- it had to lay under the bench a while to 'season' before I got started on it. It is a very fine bit of casting. I always point out that you can read the name cast into the side of the body.

Offline Bobsmodels

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 05:56:27 PM »
I was going through all the materials that were supplied and I thought you might like to see what's included besides the castings.

Bob

Offline Bobsmodels

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 07:29:45 PM »
Just for completeness here are the castings I have so far.

Bob

Offline RolandMM

• Curmudgeon
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 03:40:00 AM »
Bob,  Excellent pictures.  Now with your current casting set pictures and Dave's prototype pictures everyone can see some differences.  The picture of the castings you have show the final version of the handle and yoke that the foundry can deal with.

My first idea was to cast the handle and yoke as one long piece.  This makes the foundry think it is only one casting, gives lots of chucking lugs and it is easy to keep things concentric.  You can see the handle/yoke piece in Dave's casting picture.

I sent fifty (50) handle waxes to the foundry and got three (3) good ones with a note they never wanted to see them again.  One problem was the hex socket in the yoke wouldn't fill.  Several mold modifications later I came up with a handle gated on both ends which the foundry loves and a yoke gated on the side which allows (sometimes) the hex to be poured. Dave put enough dimensions on the drawing in case I never solved the problem it could be machined.

A recent addition to the parts package are the races for the thrust bearing. I was unable to find a ball thrust bearing the suitable size so Dave suggested we make one.  We thought the races would have to be machined, hardened and ground. Lately I have been including two (2) hardened washers which may work for the races.  They are 1075 Spring Steel hardened to Rockwell C40.

The economy is so good the foundry is way behind.  Then the owner hurt his leg ..... 

Bob, this is going to be fun watching how you do things and I expect to learn a lot.

Roland
For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal