Author Topic: Another MEM Corliss (in .40 scale)  (Read 11903 times)

toolznthings

Re: Another MEM Corliss (in .40 scale)
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2018, 01:09:25 AM »
Hi George,

Was not paying attention till you mentioned your new project when we talked today. Great work as always !
Will follow along as you go.

Brian

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2018, 05:22:56 PM »
Bolts, bolts and more bolts. I have most of the large parts made so I'm starting to bolt things together to see if everything lines up. On the full sized model the majority of fasteners and threaded holes are just spelled out as 1/8 to allow metrification of the build. In my world 1/8 translates to 5-40 and when multiplied by .40 becomes .05 which the closest thread size is M1.2 (.047) so all of the bolts that you see are that size with .078 hexes. I had to make up an open end wrench to tighten the bolts on the inside of the cylinder mounts.
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2018, 05:54:12 PM »
Wow, George,
Just, wow...

Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2018, 06:02:42 PM »
Excellent!!

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2018, 06:46:08 PM »
Some pictures of the major parts assembled. I had counterbored the mounting holes on the base plate leaving .100 of material. I then made some special M1.2 screws to go up through the base and into the engine. These are topped off with M1.2 nuts. The full sized version has the base tapped and then the bolts go through from the top. I didn't want to chance tapping the aluminum with the small tap.
Everything lines up nicely so I can start making the crank pin and the wrist pin for the crosshead.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2018, 07:03:38 PM »
Wow, really coming together wonderfully!
You could call this one your Pocket Corliss.
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2018, 07:15:17 PM »
That flywheel really looks good with the other parts. Love all your work.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2018, 12:36:08 AM »
Starting on the tiniest of bits now. This is the eccentric, hub, spindle and a M1.2 nut. I thought I'd throw the penny in for a comparison. The square on the spindle is .050 across the flats. I drilled the hole in the eccentric plate then filed it out square.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2018, 12:53:02 AM »
Beautiful George. Thank for the penny too. That really helps with seeing how small these parts are.

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2018, 01:13:08 AM »
Starting on the tiniest of bits now.

:lolb: :lolb: :lolb:

Sorry. It's just that we need another word for tiny when it comes to you.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2018, 01:35:03 AM »
Wow. Again.  I usually call bits that small 'swarf'.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2018, 02:30:34 AM »
Stunning and inspirational!
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2018, 04:07:52 PM »
The valve bits and pieces are made. The valves I made from brass because the block is steel. The links were drilled and profiled on the end of a piece of round stock standing up in my mill vise. They were then sawn off with a small slitting saw. I have a small home-made hand vise that I clamped them in to file the radius on the center shaft area. All this was done with my Optivisor headband magnifier.
The small levers were made in multiple steps. I started by drilling the center hole, .047 diameter, into the end of a piece of .312 round steel in the lathe.
The levers required another hole (tapped M1. x.25) .125 from the center hole. On the first link I waited until the milling was done but the part was so small that I couldn't see to center the drilled hole so I used plan B. I took the piece of stock and stood it up in my mill vise, indicated it true then drilled the hole (.031 diameter). The stock was then transferred to my dividing head but now I needed a way to position the stock so that the two holes would be on a true horizontal line. The difference in the diameters of the two holes is .016 so I placed the drills used to make the holes into the drilled holes and indicated across the shanks until I got the required .008 difference. The dividing head was locked at -0- degrees so to orient the stock while indicating I left the chuck just slightly loose so that I could turn the stock with pliers.
The stock was then milled down until the .090 width was achieved. While at this setting the stock was rotated 8 degrees to cut the taper. The dividing head was then rotated 90 degrees and the flat on the top of the lever was milled.
A drilled and tapped hole is needed for the clamp screw so the end of the part was picked up and the table moved to the proper location.
The stock was then put back in the lathe to part off the piece. A little bit of filing was done to break the edges and put a small radius on the corners where the link attaches to.
The part was then clamped in the mill vise and using a .013 slitting saw I cut the slot across the end.
The valves were turned and the center area was milled halfway down (.050) While at this setting a small witness was cut in the end (.015 deep) so that the valves can be set after assembly. The witness will show the orientation of the relief in the valve.

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2018, 05:01:21 PM »
Lovely work, George.  The MEM Corliss is such a pretty engine and your touch and attention to detail makes it even better.  I especially like your flywheel.

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2018, 06:29:09 PM »
Here's a shot of the valves and levers on the engine. All the bolts to hook the levers to the links will have to be made by hand because they need unthreaded area that go through the links. Presently I'm using M1 x .25 stainless bolts that I got from Model Motorcars. They're 3mm long and are fully threaded.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal