Author Topic: Model Builders Vise from Morrison & Marvin Castings  (Read 898 times)

Online zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: Model Builders Vise from Morrison & Marvin Castings
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2018, 07:51:12 PM »
Beautiful work Dave.
I can't believe it's been a month since the last update. Time is certainly flying.

A snug fitting mandrel was turned and the body casting pushed on, so the back end can be cut to length.

I've seen other posts that discuss 'cutting' to length, or I suppose, facing to length.
I've struggled doing the same and either end up too short or too long.

What do you do to ensure you get the length you want?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2018, 09:06:43 PM »
Excellent sequence Dave! This will be most handy when I start my kit (it yells at me every time I pass it on the way into the shop...).
One thing I dont have, that you will probably get to in the next installment, is a setup to broach the slot for the key that keeps the jaws lined up. I was thinking maybe of putting a slot in the bottom of the tube on the moveable jaw, and putting a couple of guide posts in from the bottom of the fixed section. Do you think that would work? I have a mass-produced small vise that uses a setup like that, seems to work okay. Not having an arbor press or broaches, not sure how else I can do it - any ideas of other ways?
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2018, 11:22:23 PM »
This is just a beautiful little vise and you are certainly doing it proud Dave.

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2018, 12:02:04 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys;

Chris, your idea would probably work but it would be much nicer if you could figure out a way to properly broach the keyway in the body.

I could broach it for you, the only problem is that I was working on an earlier casting and I had to take it below the .625 that we have called out on the print. I turned mine to .592 to get it to clean up then bored the body to fit. So my special broach bushing is sized to the smaller bore.

Zee, I guess there are lots of different ways and different setups that may dictate different strategies. You need some way to measure with reasonable precision along the Z axis of your lathe (bed). I have a nice digital readout, but before that on this lathe and the one before it I built a way to mount a travel indicator. If I remember correctly you built a carriage stop that clamps to your bed? I had something similar on my old lathe that held the indicator.
So once you can measure the tool movement it is a simple matter of picking up your tool location and zeroing the indicator; then cut away.
If you are working on something longer than your indicator travel then you need to get a little more creative. Once you establish your datum you can use some sort of spacer, 1,2,3, block, gauge block, mic standard, etc. to make up the extra distance. You only need to know where to stop correct? These would only be used while setting the indicator, then set aside.
Hopefully this helps some; it could be a whole thread in itself.

Dave