Author Topic: Model Builders Vise from Morrison & Marvin Castings  (Read 7975 times)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: Model Builders Vise from Morrison & Marvin Castings
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2018, 07:51:12 PM »
Beautiful work Dave.
I can't believe it's been a month since the last update. Time is certainly flying.

A snug fitting mandrel was turned and the body casting pushed on, so the back end can be cut to length.

I've seen other posts that discuss 'cutting' to length, or I suppose, facing to length.
I've struggled doing the same and either end up too short or too long.

What do you do to ensure you get the length you want?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2018, 09:06:43 PM »
Excellent sequence Dave! This will be most handy when I start my kit (it yells at me every time I pass it on the way into the shop...).
One thing I dont have, that you will probably get to in the next installment, is a setup to broach the slot for the key that keeps the jaws lined up. I was thinking maybe of putting a slot in the bottom of the tube on the moveable jaw, and putting a couple of guide posts in from the bottom of the fixed section. Do you think that would work? I have a mass-produced small vise that uses a setup like that, seems to work okay. Not having an arbor press or broaches, not sure how else I can do it - any ideas of other ways?
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2018, 11:22:23 PM »
This is just a beautiful little vise and you are certainly doing it proud Dave.

Bill

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2018, 12:02:04 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys;

Chris, your idea would probably work but it would be much nicer if you could figure out a way to properly broach the keyway in the body.

I could broach it for you, the only problem is that I was working on an earlier casting and I had to take it below the .625” that we have called out on the print. I turned mine to .592” to get it to clean up then bored the body to fit. So my special broach bushing is sized to the smaller bore.

Zee, I guess there are lots of different ways and different setups that may dictate different strategies. You need some way to measure with reasonable precision along the Z axis of your lathe (bed). I have a nice digital readout, but before that on this lathe and the one before it I built a way to mount a travel indicator. If I remember correctly you built a carriage stop that clamps to your bed? I had something similar on my old lathe that held the indicator.
So once you can measure the tool movement it is a simple matter of picking up your tool location and zeroing the indicator; then cut away.
If you are working on something longer than your indicator travel then you need to get a little more creative. Once you establish your datum you can use some sort of spacer, 1,2,3, block, gauge block, mic standard, etc. to make up the extra distance. You only need to know where to stop correct? These would only be used while setting the indicator, then set aside.
Hopefully this helps some; it could be a whole thread in itself.

Dave

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2018, 06:42:39 AM »
Very nice work.  Something about vises which have always fascinated me.
So many projects, so little time...

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2020, 12:19:36 AM »
Hi everyone,

I was chatting with my friend Roland Morrison on the phone this morning and the subject of little vises came up. I realized at that time I have two unfinished vise builds here on MEM.
Well I get sidetracked working on other things then kind of forget what I was doing. So I’m going to try to make an effort to finish these two projects out. Yes the Pacific is still waiting for me to finish it too!

Here are couple photos of the vise with the screw retainer plate and brass nut in place.

Next up is the construction of the screw assembly, the Acme threaded stock is supplied with the kit.

Starting work on the screw; the acme stock has been turned and end is ready to be silver soldered in place.

Still too hot to touch.

The screw assembly cleaned up and the end has been skimmed so it is true to the screw and can be placed in a collet.

Cutting the groove for the screw retainer.

Checking the fit of the retainer plate.

Checking the fit in the moveable jaw.

Back in the lathe the end is finished to length and chamfered.

Soft jaws used to hold the steel handle balls for drilling.

The ball and handle assembly is heated and the protruding metal is peened to lock the ball in place.

After dressing and polishing the ball the handle is inserted into the screw and the process in repeated for the other ball.

Dressing and polishing the second ball is not as easy as the first one. I made a split bushing that could be placed on the handle and larger than the ball diameter. This was slid into a collet and the screw allowed to dangle while the second ball was finished.

The finished handle assembly.

More later & thanks for checking in,
Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2020, 10:32:54 AM »
Beautiful Dave. Those parts finished up excellently!!

Bill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2020, 05:37:13 PM »
You do beautiful work, Dave!
Kim

Offline Jack

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2020, 05:50:47 PM »
Hello Everyone,

The fact that this build thread has returned is very appropriate because my Vise Kit arrived yesterday so I will be following very closely. Right now I am studying the plans and these very helpful photos, I have a lot of work ahead of me. Its not like I can go anywhere for the next few weeks (months) so I might as well put my time to good use and make something useful and lets face it this vise is just so darn cute.

:happyreader:

Thanks

Jack

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2020, 06:06:08 PM »
Bill, Kim, & Jack, thank you for the nice comments and stopping by to have a look at my vintage vise thread. :Lol:
Jack I guess that is the reason why I need to finish this out, to maybe help others who may build one of these cute little vises in the future and happen along this thread searching of information.
Holler if you have any questions.

Thanks again guys!
Dave

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2020, 06:18:25 PM »
Your thread was very useful when I built my vise kit last year!   :ThumbsUp:

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2020, 04:56:24 PM »
Hi Everyone
Here is the next set of build photos.

The keyway has been milled and now the retaining pin holes are being drilled.

These are the individual parts for the broach bushing/alignment tool.

After silver soldering.

Cleaned up and ready for use.

Another view.

The broaching operation in process; note the top of the jaw has been shimmed to align it with the fixture. After the first pass though with the broach, a .005 shim was added on each additional pass; until the final depth was reached.

Setting up on the fixture plate to mill the cuts for the jaw inserts. The mandrel which is a light push fit was indicated to the Y axis and the edge finder used to pick up the face of the jaw.

The moveable jaw assembly installed and tightened and both jaws are cut in one operation.

The body casting clamped to an angle plate to drill and tap for the jaw plates. Extra care was taken to not break through the back side of the jaws.

Milling the stock for the serrated jaw plates. The stock was made oversized and long enough for two plates. The serrations were cut with a new MA Ford 90° solid carbide countersink at a 30° angle to form a nice diamond. This operation was done using CNC but one could also angle the vise and accomplish the same thing.

Here the stock has been finished; it is now cut in two and the serrations nested together. The outside profile is carefully milled while the jaw plates are nested. After milling to size the screw and dowel pain holes are put in and the jaw plates casehardened.

The finished jaw plates installed one the vise.

And the reason it is worth the extra work to nest the jaw plates. :D

Thanks for checking in, more later.
Dave
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 04:59:32 PM by Dave Otto »

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2020, 06:06:10 PM »
Wow!  Very nice Dave!
Those jaws really look the business :)
Kim

Online Twizseven

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2020, 08:32:57 PM »
Fabulous Job  :praise2: :praise2: :praise2:

Colin

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2020, 09:05:22 PM »
Dave,

That is one realty impressive vice, from the initial foundry work to your exquisite machining and perfectly fitted parts. Almost seems a shame to use it!!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Stay safe

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal