Author Topic: Hello from Bavaria  (Read 2569 times)

Offline rweber

Hello from Bavaria
« on: July 02, 2018, 11:00:55 AM »
Hello engineers,

I want to say hello to you.

I'm 45 years old, and I came to Model Engine Building at the age of about 12 years when my father started to build his own. At that time we often were at Deutsches Museum Munich. They had (and still have!) a great flight engine exhibition. And there was a book store where my father bought a book named "Das grosse Modell-Motorenbuch". The author of this book sold plans of various model engines. Single Cylinger, Radial, Wankel, etc. But these plans had sometimes errors in them which makes the build process frustrating. After building different engines with those not-so-perfect-plans he came to the conclusion that it would be easier to desgin the engines by himself. Since that time I have more or less attended him when he was bulding his engines. I learned so much from him about metal working and -properties and late and mill work and so on. Now he is retired, but he is still busy building the engines.

About three years ago I thought about building my own engine. But, which one? I was always fascinated from the rotary engines I've seen at the museum since I was a litte boy. So, it was clear to me, It must be a rotary engine! I know, very ambitious for the first project. Searching the internet leads me to a thread where Stephen Wessel presented his Gnome Monosoupape. He also sold the plans, perfect. The build process itself took nearly two years, there is still a life outside the workshop. Based on that excellent plans and with great support of my father I was able to finish the project successfully. If someone is interrested, I have two short videos which shows some pictures of the build process. In the middle of the second part you can see it running. Unfortunately the audio quality is poor, in real life the engine has a great sound.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJOPd_MhMeE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJOPd_MhMeE</a>
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcBUZYfhaN4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcBUZYfhaN4</a>

Regards,
Robert

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Hello from Bavaria
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 11:12:43 AM »
 :hi: Robert,

Well done on building Stephen's version of the Mono G  8) I have two slightly smaller versions of that engine on my build list.

So what is going to be next on your build list?

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 12:10:59 PM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: Very nice build  :praise2:

I am just over the border near Zürich and we have at least one other member near Munich.
Best regards

Roger

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 12:17:01 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum Robert. That is a fine engine you have built!! Thanks for sharing the pictures and videos.

Bill

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 12:56:21 PM »
Hi Robert,

What a beautiful engine and an absolutely wonderful sound, thanks for sharing.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline rweber

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 01:02:58 PM »

So what is going to be next on your build list?

Jo

First, thanks to all for the kind welcome!

I am currently working on a Felgiebel 2-stroke engine. A build log can be found here https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/threads/building-the-felgiebel.27541/

For a future project I'm collecting information about the Azani 3 cyl. fan engine, as it was mounted in the Bleriot XI. I was told that there's a member int this forum who have castings and/or plans. I will start a separate thread on this purpose.

Robert

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 05:23:42 PM »
Hello Robert,

Welcome to the forum. That is a fine engine you have built!! Thanks for sharing.

Big radial and rotary engines are always a joy to see and to hear.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 08:19:41 PM »
Hi Robert, Welcome to MEM. A very nice engine. Thanks for sharing the video.
Kind Regards
Achim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 05:49:30 AM »
Hi there Robert,
Welcome to the forum!  And as others have said, thanks for posting those great pictures (and video) of your engine!
Kim

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 10:29:15 PM »
Hi Robert, thanks for sharing your beautiful engine with us.
Also welcome to MEM!

Dave

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 10:30:59 PM »
Welcome Robert!

Dave

"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 10:40:03 PM »
Welcome to the forum Robert.

I'm curious to know what part of Bavaria you are in. My mother's family is mostly around Pähl as well as Munich and Garmisch.

I used to visit the Deutsches Museum every summer when I stayed with my grandparents (back when I was a kid and lived in Europe).
Now, I visit the museum every chance I get to Munich.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 03:51:32 AM »
Robert,
Welcome to the group. That Gnome rotary is quite an impressive build. I must admit that I like aircraft engines.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline rweber

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 06:46:32 AM »
Welcome to the forum Robert.

I'm curious to know what part of Bavaria you are in. My mother's family is mostly around Pähl as well as Munich and Garmisch.

I used to visit the Deutsches Museum every summer when I stayed with my grandparents (back when I was a kid and lived in Europe).
Now, I visit the museum every chance I get to Munich.

Well, Pähl is not far from me. I'm just at the other side of the Starnberger See in Berg. Deutsches Museum is also still very interesting for me. I was there ages ago with my father, and now I go there with my childs. Als time go by. They are currently building and modernizing the museum to make it fit for the future. Not all exhibitions are open, but there is still plenty to see.

Did you also manage to visit Flugwerft Schleißheim? It's a branch of Deutsches Museum where they put all the aircraft related stuff. They have a large number of flight  engines in there. And there is restauration workshop, where you can see them restoring airplanes and engines. Last november they organized for the first time a model- and steam engine exhibition where i could participate. It was not such a big exhibition, "only" about 15-20 Exhibitors. But there was a great range of different engine types. The best thing was not just to exhibit the models, we were able to show some the models running. This was great fun! Hope they repeat this this year.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal