Author Topic: Maudslay Marine Engine  (Read 31443 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Maudslay Marine Engine
« Reply #105 on: July 18, 2018, 07:30:05 AM »
You do see some full size engines where the diameter was bumped up for the flywheel to fit or more likely the areas for bearings were beaten down with a drop hammer when the crank was forged. So having a sleeve to replicate the same feature is quite in keeping, on the plus side if desired you can also slot the sleeve with a milling cutter which will then form the slot for a keyway when it is assembled with Loctite. The benson springs to mind.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2018, 12:16:39 PM »
Hi Chuck, i have a useful tool in my brain... it is called procrastination !! I spend a lot of time just thinking about things and then eventually i get a brainwave and YEA proceed with 'gay abandon' !! and find things work out ok ..Thats why my models take so long !!

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #107 on: July 18, 2018, 02:39:28 PM »
Chuck - sorry about the mishaps with the crankshaft, but thanks so much for posting the method, I want to attempt the same approach on my next engine build, as I don't think the crank casting will stay put when I work on it.

Your perseverance will yield stunning rewards I'm sure, because I can see that first crank finish was super.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #108 on: July 18, 2018, 07:41:10 PM »
I say that practice makes perfect and all great projects have numerous “prototypes”  8). Just have a RoundRock doughnut and regroup  :cheers:

Cletus

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #109 on: July 18, 2018, 08:51:53 PM »
Thanks, folks, for the suggestions and support.  I'm happy to report that after 3 1/2 hours in the shop, I've made it through all the hard parts.  I decided to use my milling maching to drill the center holes in the ends...

This is the cutoff tool I used to face the sides of the webs...

The end of the cutoff tool is ground at a 10 degree angle, then mounted in the tool holder at a 5 degree angle, giving me 5 degrees clearance on the side and the end.  Here I'm getting ready to face off the inside of the right hand web.

Here I've finished facing the inside of the first web...

Next I reversed the work piece end to end so I could face off the inside of the other web...

The final step in this setup is to finish the crankshaft journal.  I decided to make the journal 5/16" all the way across instead of leaving a large diameter on each side as spacers.  I'll incorporate the spacers into the connecting rod end.  I've also cut off the waste part.

So here, I've completed the main journal on one side and am getting ready for the final cuts on the other journal.  I'm leaving a larger diameter on each side of the webs to act as spacers against the main bearings.  I made little jackscrew assembly out of a nut and setscrew to keep the centers from squeezing in the webs.

And here's where I'm at for the moment.  All the turning is done (I think)...

I am going to do some more shaping on the webs but this will all be done in the mill...

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #110 on: July 18, 2018, 09:00:26 PM »
 :ThumbsUp:

I decided to make the journal 5/16" all the way across instead of leaving a large diameter on each side as spacers.  I'll incorporate the spacers into the connecting rod end.

Why?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #111 on: July 18, 2018, 09:08:37 PM »
Sweet Chuck. It’s definitely doughnut time now  :ThumbsUp:

Cletus

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #112 on: July 18, 2018, 09:20:43 PM »
Nice!!
 :whoohoo:

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #113 on: July 18, 2018, 09:48:10 PM »
Going along very well now!

I like to make the 'spacers' as part of the rod bearings, like a bit of a flange on each end of the bushing halves. Much easier than doing the crank and replaceable...

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2018, 09:55:41 PM »
Fourth time was the charm Chuck. That looks fantastic!!!

Bill

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2018, 11:58:05 PM »
:ThumbsUp:

I decided to make the journal 5/16" all the way across instead of leaving a large diameter on each side as spacers.  I'll incorporate the spacers into the connecting rod end.

Why?

I think it will look better and more interesting to have a wider connecting rod end and I can make the surface bearing against the sides a little larger.

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #116 on: July 18, 2018, 11:59:56 PM »
Going along very well now!

I like to make the 'spacers' as part of the rod bearings, like a bit of a flange on each end of the bushing halves. Much easier than doing the crank and replaceable...

Pete

Yeah, that's the look I'm going for, but I may not make individual rod bearings, just form it into the connecting rod end as if it had bearings... or I might try rod bearings.  Never did it before, so it would be a new experience...

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #117 on: July 19, 2018, 12:02:32 AM »
So, a few more hours in the shop and I have the connecting rod where I think it's finished.

It's got a few tiny gouges and nicks I'd rather weren't there, but good enough is good enough...

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #118 on: July 19, 2018, 12:11:21 AM »
Looks great Chuck. You can clean up the other crank and use it on another engine.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #119 on: July 19, 2018, 05:00:57 AM »
Thanks, Thomas.

Here's a short video of the flywheel attached to the crankshaft and spinning in the lathe.  Pretty happy with how true it runs...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal