Author Topic: Maudslay Marine Engine  (Read 31449 times)

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
Maudslay Marine Engine
« on: July 01, 2018, 11:42:50 PM »
I can't in all honesty promise I'll finish this project but I've decided to give it a try.  I've wanted to build this model for many years but other than a couple of pictures, I've not been able to find any other information on it.  I'm pretty sure I've figured out how the rotary valve works through a combination of cylinder oscillation and an eccentric driven rod.  Finding the single cylinder version finally inspired me to get going with it and that's the model I'll try to copy.  Here is a picture of it for those who haven't seen it in my other post.

I started work on the bottom cylinder end / valve body today.  It was carved from a piece of brass and measures 1.25" x 7/8" x 5/8".

The bore of the engine will be 9/16" and the stroke will be around 1.5".  Let's see how it goes...

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Maudslay Marine Engine
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 12:00:18 AM »
It's a lovely engine Chuck and I am glad you are going to attempt it. Will definitely be following along on this one.

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 12:05:28 AM »
It's a lovely engine Chuck and I am glad you are going to attempt it. Will definitely be following along on this one.

Same here. I always enjoy following your threads.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 01:30:19 AM »
Chuck, that’s mechanical art. I’m betting you’ll do it proud.

Cletus

Offline kvom

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 01:51:38 AM »
Are you sure it's a marine engine?  I wouldn't think marine engine's would have a flywheel that size.  Regardless, it looks like a good model to attempt.  :ThumbsUp:

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 04:07:21 AM »
Thanks for the vote of confidence, folks.  I'm not sure his engine was ever produced full size, let alone for marine use.  I agree the flywheel is way larger than you'd expect to see for a boat or ship.  Actually, it's probably not suitable for any practical use.  Might just have been Henry Maudslay's momentary dabbling with fancy.

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 04:20:19 AM »
"dabbling with fancy"...
I like that.

Dabble away Chuck. You'll do it proudly.

John

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 07:07:39 AM »
That's a very nice looking engine Chuck, I'll look forwards to your progress as it develops  :ThumbsUp:

Always wanted to follow our good friend 'Don 1066' and do an all brass engine - you have a great subject there  ;)

Regards - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 07:10:15 AM »
Look forward to seeing this one develope

As it was only a model to test his designs it is likely they just put a large flywheel on it for test purposes, the real thing having a big paddle wheel on the ends of the crankshaft.

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 03:23:22 AM »
Thanks again, guys, for the kind words.  I got a good start on the cylinder and the top cylinder cover.

I cut the middle cylinder profile but won't cut the two outer ones until I've finished all the machining operations on the cylinder.  The boss on top of the cylinder cover will be threaded to accept a cap which will hold packing.  Not, perhaps very scale, but easy and effective.

Chuck

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 11:29:12 AM »
Brass might not be prototypical but it sure is pretty. I'm following along Chuck. Another interesting replica for your collection.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 06:16:54 PM »
Here are some drawings from Fusion 360 that show what I'm aiming for...

Showing the porting

This is a drawing of the rotary valve...

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 07:07:03 PM »
I have a question for you folks with more soldering experience.  I want to soft solder the small block to the cylinder, as shown in this image.

Should I tin the back of the block first?  Or just apply flux to the block & the cylinder, put it in place, and flow solder in from the edge?  I'd like to get pretty complete coverage of the solder in the joint.

Thx... Chuck

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 07:54:02 PM »
I have used the Tix brand solder for this sort of thing a lot on steam engines and ship models - it has a liquid flux, wicks into place very well (it is intended for jewelry making). It is quite strong for a soft solder, though it has a lower melting point than most of them (somewhere around 300F I think), and you need to wash off the flux well afterwards or it will mark up the surface. Not cheap, but very good.
Tinning the back is always a little tricky, you would want a spring clamp to push it down as the solder melts, or it wont  join up right, and you risk it shifting sideways. Better is to use a prick punch on the flat mating surfaces to make the parts stay a thou apart, and let the solder fill the tiny gap, it will wick right in with the flux. That way, you can use a small clamp to hold the parts in alignment during soldering.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 07:57:40 PM »
What the man says

This popped up just now on a Pintrest collection, maybe you should go for a twin cylinder version, may be worth a bit more when finished :o

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/23024/lot/79/

click on the image then + several times to zoom right in

EDIt the whole sale looks to have had some interesting models

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/23024/
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 08:02:42 PM by Jasonb »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal