Author Topic: Division Master still around?  (Read 2795 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Division Master still around?
« on: June 30, 2018, 08:43:04 PM »
Looking to convert a Sherline table to CNC indexer.    Division master was one kit out there.    Any others?

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Division Master still around?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 09:09:40 PM »
Dave, I assume you are talking about the Sherline rotary table. You might check the Sherline site. There control box for the CNC RT will allow entry of the number of divisions you want and them step them off. Wasn't sure if you were looking for a whole new system or to convert a manual RT. This may be possible through Sherline as well.

Bill

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 09:59:07 PM »
I have the table already, so im looking for a kit to convert it.   Didnt know Sherline did  conversion kit... ill look

Thanks

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 10:10:32 PM »
Nope....no conversion kit for the manual.....you can get a CNC ready, or a full system, but not what I'm looking fore

Ron Ginger,,,,any advice?

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 10:50:11 PM »
Ok , wasn't sure exactly what you were looking for. Hope you find it.

Bill

Offline cwelkie

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 12:21:41 AM »
This may be an option for you Dave, depending on how deep you want to get into fabricating a solution:

http://www.worldofward.com/rotarycontroller/

There is a ready-made option for the controller board and display and they source a keyboard as well.  You'll still need to do an enclosure and source a stepper motor and matching driver.

I've no affiliation other than being a happy user of this controller after building one from parts to drive my 6" table.  It works as advertised and did so "right off the bat".

Charlie

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 03:22:10 AM »
Thanks for that Charlie!   Ill check it out!
Damned ijjit!

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 04:59:29 AM »
Hi Dave,
 Plus one on Quackers...aka Wonderful World of Ward....RT controller. Brought the finished board, put it together & it works great!
Here’s mine.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline muddled engineer

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 08:26:00 AM »

Offline Noitoen

• Setúbal - Portugal
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2018, 09:12:20 AM »
This may be an option for you Dave, depending on how deep you want to get into fabricating a solution:

http://www.worldofward.com/rotarycontroller/

There is a ready-made option for the controller board and display and they source a keyboard as well.  You'll still need to do an enclosure and source a stepper motor and matching driver.

I've no affiliation other than being a happy user of this controller after building one from parts to drive my 6" table.  It works as advertised and did so "right off the bat".

Charlie

I bild one myself an works great. Just the other day used it in continuous mode to "turn" on the mill, a bearing recess on a disc brake adapter plate for my 4x4

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2018, 10:39:30 AM »
Try here

They have taken over a good while ago

http://medw.co.uk/wiki/index.php?page=DivisionMaster&hc1=0
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2018, 01:37:22 PM »
There i s a very active thread over on https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/threads/arduino-rotary-table-for-dummies.26744/page-9#post-308995. This one uses Arduino, which is an extremely well supported micro controller. It should be a lot less expensive than Division Master or the Sherline  controller.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2018, 02:31:57 PM »
There i s a very active thread over on https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/threads/arduino-rotary-table-for-dummies.26744/page-9#post-308995. This one uses Arduino, which is an extremely well supported micro controller. It should be a lot less expensive than Division Master or the Sherline  controller.

Thanks Ron, Unfortunately, or fortunately....depending on your view point, I'm banned for life over there.  From what I can see, the electronics seem good, and I like the Arduino approach, but I'm looking for something a bit more industrial in the hardware department.   I can draw that part up I suppose, but I'm really not into building up electronics.    "Plugs right in" is what I'm looking for from the control side preferably.   

Dave

Damned ijjit!

Offline craynerd

• www.raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2018, 12:25:24 AM »
Dave, I’ve had numerous Kwackers , World of Ward controllers over the past 10 years and they are great. I’m currently making one up now (just got back from the workshop!) for my Cowells lathe.

Steve is a great guy, sells them for I think £45 made and ready to run! You then just need a keypad, driver and motor and you are ready to go!

Wiring is simple and no hassle. If you are integrested, I can make a little video of wiring one up to show what you get from him and how you connect the rest of it up? No worries if you don’t think this would help.

Cheers
Chris

Offline craynerd

• www.raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2018, 12:27:20 AM »
...just to add, his divider is sold in parts as an electronics project or fully built...so if you buy the built version, it lieterally is just ‘plug right in’ when it comes to the rest of the parts I mentioned.

Chris

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2018, 12:37:41 AM »
Dave, I’ve had numerous Kwackers , World of Ward controllers over the past 10 years and they are great. I’m currently making one up now (just got back from the workshop!) for my Cowells lathe.

Steve is a great guy, sells them for I think £45 made and ready to run! You then just need a keypad, driver and motor and you are ready to go!

Wiring is simple and no hassle. If you are integrested, I can make a little video of wiring one up to show what you get from him and how you connect the rest of it up? No worries if you don’t think this would help.

Cheers
Chris

That sounds great!   I'm integrating this table onto my Aciera, so that's perfect.   This table can be used as a lathe spindle divider as well.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Online Twizseven

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2018, 12:04:07 PM »
Steamer,

I am interested in how your are planning to use this with the Aciera.  I have an F12 but only have the simple indexing unit with it.

Chris,

Also interested in seeing what you do for the Cowells.  I also have an ME 90 and also the Cowells Mill.  I have a tiny 2.75" rotary table for the mill.
I saw your post about DRO for the ME90.  I have posted on here somewhere about the M-DRO magnetic scales I fitted and the various mountings that I made.  I use them with the Yuriy's Toys Touch-DRO software and an android tablet display.  I can sort some info out if interested.

I did obtain a stepper motor and driver and an arduino which I programmed up with C Fellows software but never completed it all. Lack of time.

Regards,

Colin

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2018, 12:17:50 PM »
 I plan on using it to drive the sherline  rotary table that im installing.
Damned ijjit!

Offline lsces

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2018, 07:46:56 PM »
The original DivisionMaster is still available, and provides 2Amps at 24V to the motor and is available as a kit or ready to go. I've also sorted a 'Super' version which has a 4.2Amp Chinese driver and 160W 45V power supply all built into a diecast box. In addition, motors can be supplied ready wired to simply plug in. Also despite the untimely demise of John S. I've managed to complete another batch of mounts to fit the generic 4" and 6" rotary tables. This can also be adapted to fit other tables if required.

Offline craynerd

• www.raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2018, 02:01:35 PM »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t1Jb4fZHRg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t1Jb4fZHRg</a>

Steamer, I don’t know if that helps but it is a cracking bit of kit. I’m not pretending to be an expert but hopefully the video shows how the divider goes toegether. I have no affiliation with Steve but for the price, I think they are ace!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2018, 02:16:18 PM »
Ok ..my son and I travelled for a race yesterday and got home at the wee hours of the morning.....let me wake up, but the original option up to the face of the stepper motor mount sounds.perfect!...I can adapt from there
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2018, 02:58:42 PM »
…..and thank you for digging that up, spending the time reading this thread, and sharing......give me a minute....the coffee is starting to kick in... 8)

Dave
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal