Author Topic: hi from Melbourne Australia  (Read 1295 times)

Offline john mills

hi from Melbourne Australia
« on: June 24, 2018, 01:44:52 PM »
I started work as a automotive machinist
I have built a 5" speedy
A stuart turner no 4   no9 and a 5a
feed pump   and a centrifugal pump
o.b bolton feed pump
I have a  double size engine from K N harris book  3" bore 2 1/2" stroke
i spent 30 years working with cnc machines programming and operating  making tooling and machine parts for
chain making mostly hot work die steels.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: hi from Melbourne Australia
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 01:54:53 PM »
Hi and welcome John  :hi:  Once you get settled in, would love to see pictures of your engines and shop. Glad to have you aboard.

Bill

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 02:48:13 PM »
 :hi: John,

Sounds like you have been busy. Looking forward to seeing some pics of your models  :)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 04:09:55 PM »
Hi John, Welcome to MEM!

Dave

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 07:40:07 PM »
Welcome to the forum, John!
Kim

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 10:48:13 PM »
Welcome to the Forum John! It's good to see another member from Oz.
David
Don't die wondering!

Online MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 06:53:44 AM »
Hi John,

Good to see you complete your initiation to the forum by posting your introduction.  So welcome to the forum at last.

I guess when you started on CNC, it would have been quite primitive compared with today's systems which now do all the geometry of figuring tool paths from the drawing, unseen in the background.  It must have been quite an adventure on those early machines.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline john mills

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 09:14:49 AM »
most of my programming  was done with pencil and paper and a calculator with g codes ,i did lots of profileing cutting out shapes with ripper cutters  finishing were required with end mills using cutter compensation .i often used a 63 mm facing cutter for shaping.the first machine was a beaver nc retrofitted localy latter i had older mazak machining centres, interesting calculations when using a 12 position indexer shaping on each face at different angles.the early machines the compensation was not just g41 of g42 g38 g39i and j required at each change of angle. G45 g46 g47 g48 were handy for inside square holes or around basic sqare shapes  I started with only an edit program  on apple 64 .they were paper tape machines.often falts on tapes so i would have to look at the holes to find what was missing. and make a new tape.these machines came from north company they moved into our factory .they had a mini main frame that only had a tape punch and reader ,the people that did the programming didn't come so i was left to find out what was wrong when the programs that  would not work .i had to work out how that compensation was done on those old machines.i did programs where i run out of tools ,line numbers unto 1000 and offset numbers that could be used .after 15 years of that i could make those machines do what i wanted .The company bought  a cad system that was meant to use the drawings for the cam part but the post processor was not able to cope with a 2 and a 1/2 axis machine
only 2 axis on 1 line .it didn't work that well it was meant to work on dos  but was set up on windows.i didn't use it much .i was retrenched about 2000 from that job.i had other jobs on much more modern machines after that.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 07:36:07 PM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: Pictures are always good  :)
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal