Author Topic: Checking in...  (Read 6745 times)

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
Re: Checking in...
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2018, 08:37:17 AM »
Thanks guys. You generously offer a treasure trove of information.

I had read about the tapping method in a book (in K.N. Harris maybe...), but didn't realise that it might apply to valves bought from a supplier as well as home made ones. Also, I had forgotten about it  :)

Putting it all together, I will consider the methods suggested for seating the ball, then try one of them. I'll also order a couple of shutoff valves asap - might as well make this as easy as I can on myself  :)

I will also look at the thread Kim suggested, and steal some blue paper from the dispenser in our campervan.

Following which I suppose I had better do another final water test with the valve business sorted just to be absolutely sure the boiler is ok (though I'm sure it would have passed the blue paper test last night) before going on to steam.

And most certainly I shall refrain from testing it in the sun.

:ThumbsUp:

gary

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2018, 09:15:40 AM »
A good point for you and your boiler...
There are many methods to fix valve leaks, the proof that you have to choose your own...while waiting for a general and definitive one !
don't over do the hydraulic test, 2x the working pressure at max, otherwise you may easily see bulging of the end plate above theses figures on such boiler....7-8 bar I would say.

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2018, 02:05:31 PM »
Tu as raison, Zephyrin.

Listen to other people's ideas, then decide and act...

There will be two clacks on the boiler, so I have ordered a shutoff valve for each line plus some nitrile AND stainless steel balls for the clacks.My plan is to go with the nitrile balls as it sounds earier, but will have the steel ones as spares in case the nitrile doesn't do the job. So, nitrile ball + shutoff valve. Should hopefully do the job!

Re pressure, I have been testing it to 90 psi, which is about 6.2 bar. The working pressure will be 45 psi as determined by the safety valve I have.

Salut!

gary

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2018, 10:35:47 PM »
Hi -

The saga continues, so I thought I'd better draw a line under my misuse of the 'introduce yourself' thread and start a new one ('3 inch boiler build') in the boilers section:

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php?topic=8280.msg177729#msg177729

Locking this thread now - thanks for your help so far and would be delighted to continue the discussion on the new thread and elsewhere.

gary

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal