Author Topic: Beginner barstock oscillator gets a blast of the hot stuff.  (Read 818 times)

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
A member in another forum expressed an interest in my basic wobbler and asked if it would run on a 3" dia steam boiler so I thought on a sunny afternoon in Yorkshire I'd rig it up to some temporary plumbing make a short video.

I made the double acting wobbler a couple of years ago when I first bought my mill, it's about as basic as you can get and only took a few days to build but it's bit of fun to fire it up whilst drinking a bit of the amber stuff  :DrinkPint:

It sounds in the video like it has a knock but in reality it's quite a smooth runner  :)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLT2atCsd5I" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLT2atCsd5I</a>

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Beginner barstock oscillator gets a blast of the hot stuff.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 07:18:53 PM »
Very nice! Though maybe too much of the amber stuff, you kept trying to grab the flywheel!From the plumbing, looks like a double-acting cylinder?
 :cheers:

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 07:28:26 PM »
Cheers Chris  :DrinkPint:

Yes, it's double acting and about 25mm bore x 40mm stroke, when I made it I didn't have a boiler and it was never expected to run on steam so the plumbing is a temporary affair just to show another member that the boiler will cope ok.

It's a very crude engine but I must admit when its on the hot stuff its quite a fun little fella  :)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 07:31:36 PM by Gas_mantle »

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 10:13:48 PM »
Indeed it's great to see that this 1" bore oscillator will run so convincingly on a 3" boiler! Thanks for the demo, Peter.

I'm going to take inspiration from this for my first engine - provided I can get that g'dang boiler leak fixed.

I'm looking forward to watching engines run with a glass of the amber stuff in my hand. I might even try to grab the flywheel just for fun. But reckon I'll stay away from the Sievert torch unless I'm sober... :Mad:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 12:48:14 AM »
I'm looking forward to watching engines run with a glass of the amber stuff in my hand. I might even try to grab the flywheel just for fun.

:lolb:

:ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal