Author Topic: Adventures in powder coating  (Read 3544 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Adventures in powder coating
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2018, 01:17:47 AM »
I may need to send you a variety of parts that coincidentally look like steam shovel parts to test with...

:Lol:

Offline gldavison

• Tarkio, Mo.
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2018, 01:04:34 AM »
Today's little test involved a block of brass in which I had a through threaded 1/2-13 hole.  To that I added a tapped 8-32 hole, then screwed in appropriate screws.  The assembly was then coated and baked with the same "cast iron" powder.

The wire was used to suspend the piece from the oven grate.

As it turned out, both screws were easily removed afterwards,

I've used a lot of 0-80 and 2-56 screws to plug holes with no problems removing.
Gary
Windows 10 & 11, Alibre Design Pro V27, IntelliCADPro6, CamBam, Mach4, 3D Printers, Cetus, Anet ET5 X
15" South Bend, 10" Logan lathe, Grizzly square column mill, CNC router & Hot wire cutter. Lagun FTV-1 knee mill, Sherline mill & lathe

Offline kvom

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2018, 11:19:30 PM »
Some further experiments.  First was to mask half this piece of scrap 6061 aluminum with hi-temp silicone tape and spray the other half with the cast iron powder.

As can be seen, the making line is nice and sharp.  Next I sprayed the entire piece with "ruby red" powder.   Some powders can be somewhat translucent, and I wanted to see the grey coat underneath would affect its appearance.  Seems it doesn't as the entire surface appears identical.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2018, 11:43:33 PM »
Paint brûlée, I like it  :ThumbsUp:

Cletus

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2018, 11:47:54 PM »
While I desire this skill, I doubt I'll ever go down that route.
In the meantime...I enjoy learning about it and so, thanks for posting your experiments.

BTW Is that a part?  :Lol:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline kvom

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2018, 12:09:36 AM »
The red has a bit of orange peel finish, but supposedly that can be sanded.  I'll try that tomorrow.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2018, 12:38:52 AM »
Nice results Kirk. The cut out reminds me of Mickey mouse ears for some reason  :Lol:.  Have you tried removing he powder coat yet. Just curious how hard it is to do that if need be?

Bill

Offline Noitoen

• Setúbal - Portugal
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2018, 07:12:01 AM »
. We don't use the term 'mils' over here, it is not our general shop parlance, we would say 'thou' instead.

understood and agreed, same here....I was only clarifying mils is not shop parlance for thous, its a coating thing.  Coatings are spec'd in mills, if you told a machinist the part was a mil big you'd get, well, some sort of look back :)

They use mills in the circuit board industry. Electronic components were in inches.

Offline kvom

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2018, 01:01:08 PM »
Powder coat is extremely tough to remove according to Eastwood.   Bead blasting is probably the best.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2018, 08:13:14 PM »
I just did a repair on my dump trailer and it’s powder coated. The Dewalt side grinder mowed right through it  :naughty:. However, being an old pipe welder, and spending a lot of time on a side grinder, I was quite impressed with the way the coating was bonded to the metal  :ThumbsUp: as you actually had to remove a thick coating, I mean nothing just flaked off

Cletus

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal