Author Topic: Corliss Valve Duplex Triple Expansion Mill Engine  (Read 6087 times)

Offline Jakdaw43

Corliss Valve Duplex Triple Expansion Mill Engine
« on: June 23, 2018, 03:56:17 PM »
Hello All,
I've been modelling since aged 10, but got fed up with either crashing aircraft models or seeing them vanish for ever into the distance !
Model engineering started thro' a family friend when aged 13 years and subsequently I've built 20 live steam locos 3 1/2" to 7 1/4", four Burrell traction engines in 3" & 4" scales as well a stationary/marine engine collection.
Machine tools and allied accessories have added to the mix over the years culminating in the workshop that has evolved over sixty years.  It measures some 6 feet x 15 feet and is stuffed with all the 'bits' that have built up. 
Having a small workshop space attached to the house has its advantages; 10 minutes can be 'found/earned/allowed', but organisation is paramount and easy access important.  I like things close-to-hand; having to looking for 'things' wastes valuable workshop production time!
I've attached a few pictures of the workshop as a precursor to describing some of the stages and processes involved in the building my current project, a Corliss Duplex Triple Expansion mill engine that some may find interesting or even helpful.   
I'll judge what content to put up by any responses/ interest shown....or not.....
Regards, Stuart
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 04:00:33 PM by Jakdaw43 »
Stuart alias 'Jackdaw'

Offline kvom

Re: Corliss Valve Duplex Triple Expansion Mill Engine
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 05:48:29 PM »
I won't come for a shop visit -- too fat to get through there.  :'(

Some pics of your engines would be nice too.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 05:59:15 PM »
Looks like you are utilizing every bit of space. Nice and cozy though. Thanks for the pictures.

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 06:35:26 PM »
Wow what an amazing little shop!
Thanks for sharing the pictures; looking for to seeing the Corliss engine project.

Dave

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 07:07:20 PM »
Wow!  That is cozy! Looks like a very fun place to play.

You also don't have to worry about falling over!   :Jester:
Kim

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 10:45:39 PM »
That looks like a shop that's seen some use for sure 'Jack'  :ThumbsUp: Always thought I had used up all the space in mine but can see I have a fair way to go to catch up with yours ;) Memory is a big thing for me these days - recently spent some time trying to find a mitre clamp/saw guide that I know I have, know I've stored somewhere 'logical' but not of course in the most logical space  - still can't find it ::)

Regards - Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Steam Haulage

• Notts UK
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 08:37:37 AM »
When I opened the first pic I thought someone had photographed my workshop after changing its predominant colour from green to red. Nice to see how it's possible to keep a lot of items in a small space but tidy. Mine's a tip at the moment, still as I left it when I was rushed into hospital in May. Must get on and sort it.
Jerry
Dogs look up to you, cats look down on you, pigs treat you as equal.

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 08:38:06 AM »
Thanks for showing us the workshop, Stuart.  Amazing what a comprehensive set up you have shoehorned into your available space, and the record of your model making productivity is very impressive.  Have you shared that workshop space with 4" scale traction engine(s) ?   Like Ramon, maybe I need to rethink my ideas on what can be got into the workshop space!   Dave

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 12:14:31 PM »
Welcome Stuart. Thou has been at it a bit longer than me not by much tho

Dave it’s not what you can get in the workshop it’s getting it out that the problem  :stir:

I gus in in bits and it gets bigger and heavier by the day then the end wall comes out ,garden fence , if all else fail get a company in with a big stick

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Jakdaw43

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 12:47:59 PM »
Hi All,
Thanks for your replies/comments on my posting about the workshop...it was my opening piece to some details of the Corliss mill engine but I thought some intro may help.
As you will have seen, the workshop is compact, but it's amazing what can be produced in such a space.
The 4" Burrell Compound 'Gold Medal' tractor was the biggest item made in there; it was a bit of a squeeze,  but the overhead winch on universal beam above the assembly bench allowed me to lift assemblies, spin them etc..  Getting it out was via a hydraulic lift table to it's parking area in the corner of the conservatory;  parking rights having been granted by the domestic authority, bless her.  She's very supportive....but at least she knows where I am...I'm not downing ale somewhere then p......ing up the porcelain!!!
Castings were not available for the 4" GM Burrell commercially so I scaled up  some 2" drawings and then it came down to pattern-making and casting made up in grey iron for cylinders, hubs etc. and SG iron for the front axle and crankshaft....Oh! what fun...but it's only a hobby, a friend used to say !!
PS. I really wanted to build a 4" Burrell compound road locomotive, but that just was not possible in the space...."Cut your coat to suit you cloth".
Pics attached of 3" Burrell agricultural engine getting steam up...the furry driver-in-waiting, my old workshop pal Smudge ready for action ! :Lol:
Stuart alias 'Jackdaw'

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 02:11:40 PM »
Very fine looking machines.  :ThumbsUp:

I don't know much about about them. What does 2", 3", or 4" mean? To the foot?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Jakdaw43

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2018, 03:54:20 PM »
Hi Carl,
You're correct about the scales 4" to the foot = 1/3rd full size.
'Titon', the engine in the recent pics. is 3" scale = 1/4 FS.
In live steam loco terms over on this side of the pond full size prototypes (4'8 1/2"G) ...... 3/4" sc. rides on 3 1/2" gauge tracks, 1" sc on 5". (In some parts of the US they use 4 3/4"G)
I'm very fond of narrow gauge, over here 600mm/ 2ft. gauge in the main.
My 'Charles' a Hunslet(Leeds) engine and the ALCO(US) 2-6-2 run on 3 1/2"G (about 1/7FS)  as does 'Lew' from the Lynton to Barnstable Railway
Hunslets 'Rough Pup' and 'Velinheli' run on 5"G (more than 5th FS)
In answer to the question you didn't ask, the wife's not the one with the whiskers!
Cheers, All the best
Stuart alias 'Jackdaw'

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 04:52:58 PM »
Thanks.

And wow...what a collection!
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 05:31:24 PM »
Where do you run the locos Stuart? Have you own track(s), or other local tracks?

Bill

Offline Larry Sw

Mad Dogs, Englishmen and Model trains ?????
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2018, 07:19:41 PM »
I don't do trains but thought this might interesting to those of you who do.

That's KN Harris (Steam Author) riding behind as passenger in the duluxe fashion plate suit.    :naughty:

Larry S

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal