Author Topic: Started, Fire King fire engine but is it a toy  (Read 4185 times)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: Started, Fire King fire engine but is it a toy
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 10:50:01 PM »
 :Lol: I kind of figured Chris would chime in here. He's been looking at chain for his project.

Geoff is in the UK and I don't doubt chain will be found.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2018, 11:22:27 PM »
Yup, Dan pointed me at some nice heavy oval link chain, and I have found good bike style chain too.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2018, 12:27:08 AM »
As I recall, Mc Master has some stainless chain down to .187" pitch but it's pricey as gold and may not help in the UK.

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2018, 04:59:27 AM »
Geoff do you know what pitch size you need for the chain? Simply Bearing stock simplex roller chains down to 6mm pitch off the shelf: https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Engineering-Parts-Chains,-Links,-Sprockets-&-Platewheels-Roller-Chains-Simplex-Roller-Chains-BS-European-Standard-Simplex-Chains/c4713_5487_5488_5489_6103/index.html

Renold's do 4mm pitch as a standard size (Bogstandard had some kicking around in his spares as I have just found a couple that size he let me have ;) ) I recall Cherry makes her own chains for her models  ::)

If you want to go really tiny then think about Pocket watch fusee verge chains  ;)

Jo
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 07:17:27 AM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline geoff5269

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2018, 11:42:43 AM »
Hi Jo
Thanks for you interest in finding a small chain, I had another look at some pictures of original engines and scaled the chain pitch to around 1/4" so it will not be to difficult to find. When you first start searching you have to find the right description to take you in the right direction. I have found some on ebay and will get that as a trial to see how it looks.  My model will be a combination of ideas from the original and the plans from Julius modified by what I think I can do.
Geoff

Offline kvom

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2018, 12:13:38 PM »
The very fine ditch digging machines shown at NAMES this year was scaled to the smallest size roller chain the builder could find.  I can't imagine making chain that small.

Offline geoff5269

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2018, 11:18:58 AM »
Here's an update on the chain, The smallest practical size that easily available is 6mm pitch and cost approx. £6.00 a meter and I have now made my first attempt at making a sprocket, which is interesting in itself, I just wanted to see how this would join up with the wheel and what space is needed.
I was also pleased to make up a small belt sander from a handheld powerfile I got for £25.00 on ebay. I have wanted a belt sander for a while but have not got much spare bench space. I might do a separate thread on my homemade sanders.
Geoff

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2018, 11:42:10 AM »
SPD-SI in the US supply the 0.1875" pitch stainless chain, pinions & sprockets......[sprockets can easily be modified & handy sizing for scale work]..... Derek

http://www.sdp-si.com/products/Chains-and-Sprockets/index.php
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 12:01:00 PM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline geoff5269

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2018, 08:26:13 PM »
Thanks for your interest in the chain, anything smaller is very costly so I will see how it looks for now. I've made some new mounts for the leaf springs as I felt these were the parts most out of step with the original, also I would say to anyone contemplating building this to think about making the bolts smaller than the plans say as again they can seem oversize.
Geoff

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal