Author Topic: Phone problums  (Read 1217 times)

Offline gldavison

• Tarkio, Mo.
Phone problums
« on: June 21, 2018, 03:27:50 AM »
I have a Samsung galaxy S4

Anyone know how to hack into the Android phone system. My phone was 4 years old in May 2018. In July August 2017 my phone started shutting itself down at random, usually when I was trying to run an application. It would reboot until either plugging in an external battery or charger.  Other times it would shut down and try to reboot itself (never succeeding) and the only way to stop it was to take the battery out. They're telling me at the store I just got an old phone I need to buy a new one because that one can't be fixed. That ain't going to happen. I know the phone is programmed to do this. Thing is how do I get in there and delete it

I am assuming it takes special software to get into that system. But then again assuming usually gets me in more trouble. :hammerbash:
Gary
Windows 10 & 11, Alibre Design Pro V27, IntelliCADPro6, CamBam, Mach4, 3D Printers, Cetus, Anet ET5 X
15" South Bend, 10" Logan lathe, Grizzly square column mill, CNC router & Hot wire cutter. Lagun FTV-1 knee mill, Sherline mill & lathe

Offline AOG

Re: Phone problums
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 12:24:53 PM »
I had something similar happen on my old galaxy nexus. It turned out to be a short in the battery that prevented it from charging. Does the phone work when plugged in? If so, I would replace the battery

Tony

Offline gldavison

• Tarkio, Mo.
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 06:14:48 PM »
Replacing battery was the first thing i did.
Gary
Windows 10 & 11, Alibre Design Pro V27, IntelliCADPro6, CamBam, Mach4, 3D Printers, Cetus, Anet ET5 X
15" South Bend, 10" Logan lathe, Grizzly square column mill, CNC router & Hot wire cutter. Lagun FTV-1 knee mill, Sherline mill & lathe

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 08:08:16 PM »
Just went through this recently with my 4 year old Motorola Droid Maxx. It wasn't doing the reboot thing but the battery was getting eaten alive by something called Google Play Services which is a core part of the operating system and controls most everything else so you can't disable it. It got to the point also where I had to turn data off unless I was either at home or work where there was Wifi, else my data usage went through the roof as well along with battery life. The story I got was that the 4+ year old processor in the phone couldn't keep up any longer with all the additions made over the years to the Android operating system. This may be a crock of manure, but the truth is they pretty well have us over a barrel....planned obsolescence...like with so many things these days. Save yourself some heartache and just find the best deal on a new phone of your choice. They are still willing to deal somewhat, especially if you have been with one carrier a long time.

Bill

Offline gldavison

• Tarkio, Mo.
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 01:07:24 AM »
Bill
I had the same battery issue. I finally disabled every app i didn't use.
Gary

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 05:57:59 PM »
Yeah,  the batteries do deteriorate over time. That is a fact.
And they do add new features, bells and whistles all the time.  They have to in order to keep up with (or ahead of) the competition.
These two things together do add up to worse performance on older phones.

There was that big debate a few months back about Apple decreasing the performance of older phones to improve battery life?  Well, this is true.  The batteries get old, their life decreases, the performance demands go up (due to new features etc...) and the phone companies make trade offs.  It has a downside either way.  Not trying to justify what they did or the choices they made, but the basic facts are true, and trade offs do need to be made.

I agree with Bills advice.  Just find a good deal on a new phone and go with it.    If you want the newest phones, you will pay for it for sure.  But you can get find pretty good deals on the one generation back technology and it will last you a couple more years till the cycle starts over.

Kim

Offline GordonL

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 06:35:34 PM »
I just hate the fact that the manufacturer decides what features I want on my phone and there is no way to turn it off or eliminate it. For instance I have no desire to listen to music or the radio on my phone but it is there taking up memory and draining the battery. I just had a situation with my phone where I was out of service range but still wanted to use my GPS app because I was hiking in a remote area. It drained my battery trying to connect to out of range service and drained my battery 50% in about 4 hours. I knew that I did not have phone service but the phone continued to search whether I wanted it to or not,

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 07:10:23 PM »
Gordon - I doubt very much that continue to search for a network used much power as the telephone is only listening until it "hears" a base-station it can contact - if it does it will transmit a request and that really use power.

My Nokia Lumia 620 has a great GPS and mapping system - using only as a phone give me a week between charging - but using the GPS it only lasts a few hours (if that much), before the battery is flat ...!...
I will have to admit that I haven't got a clue how the current consumption is divided between GPS receiver, CPU and the GPU + display - but I do know the fact that it never goes into standby on GPS operation is a major factor in the consumption.

Offline GordonL

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 04:05:24 PM »
When I looked at the battery usage at noon when the charge was down to 50% from a full charge from a battery pack the night before it said that battery usage was 50%+ on searching for service and 5% GPS (Avenza App). I turned off the GPS except when I used it occasionally. I know that GPS is a battery hog when running so I only turned it on the determine location when I was unsure of my location on the map. After some further investigation I determined that putting the phone in airplane mode solved the searching problem. Actually I should have know that but did not remember that.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal