Author Topic: Guildford Gala Weekend 2018  (Read 7048 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Guildford Gala Weekend 2018
« on: June 20, 2018, 10:12:55 AM »
In years gone by the Guildford Model Engineering Rally was one of the best model engineering shows around but the Guildford Model Rally is no more and they have replaced it with a new show the "Gala weekend"  :noidea: on the 7th and 8th July.

I know a couple of you are taking along your tent for your models and are planning to be there both days  8) I for one am currently only committing to going on the Saturday, when Tony and Helen (HJH Tooling) are bringing along their goodies for me to have a rummage through  :naughty:  But I also noted that the Guildford club members will be only taking along their models for display on the Sunday  :disappointed:

Is anyone else planning to go along?

Jo

P.S. Entrance and parking are both FREE  :)
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Guildford Gala Weekend 2018
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 11:41:51 AM »
As the two Mikes are going I thought I may pop along for a short visit.

Will HJH have a stand or are you getting a personal rummage in the car park?

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 11:52:29 AM »
Helen and Tony will be having a stand and no doubt be bringing the scrounge hound  :Love: with them. They always reckon the model engineers with money in their pockets to spend go the first day.

I was planning a bit more than a 'short' visit  :stickpoke:

Jo

Offline Mike Bondarczuk

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 05:02:46 PM »
Jo,

What is the post code for the Gala so that I can enter it into my SatNav to find the park again.

Mike
"Everything I can't find is in a totally secure place"

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 05:55:02 PM »
Hi Mike,

Google gives the post code as GU1 1TU. The GMES site is off London Road at the north east corner of Stoke Park.

Call by and say hello to the two Mikes and our collection of big aero engines.

Mike   :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 06:14:12 PM »
I am not sure what to expect this year. The Guildford Model Engineering Rally was one of the best events on the calendar. Suddenly, at the end of last year, the organisers changed the format to a Railway Gala Weekend for 2018. What it will be like this year, I have not idea. It could just be choo-choo rides and facepaint for kids and young families. Who knows?

The number of model engineering events, where we can display our engines to the public, has declined dramatically in the last few years. So some of us old dinosaurs, who still hanker over the good old days, have decided to bring our own tents and models for display at the Gala Weekend (with the agreement of GMES) and to carry on the tradition, as if nothing bad has happened.  Head in the sand, maybe????

Mike   :old: :old:
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 08:05:19 PM by Vixen »

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 01:16:03 AM »
I am not sure what to expect this year. The Guildford Model Engineering Rally was one of the best events on the calendar. Suddenly, at the end of last year, the organisers changed the format to a Railway Gala Weekend for 2018. What it will be like this year, I have not idea. It could just be cho-cho rides and facepaint for kids and young families. Who knows?

The number of model engineering events, where we can display our engines to the public, has declined dramatically in the last few years. So some of us old dinosaurs, who still hanker over the good old days, have decided to bring our own tents and models for display at the Gala Weekend (with the agreement of GMES) and to carry on the tradition, as if nothing bad has happened.  Head in the sand, maybe????

Mike   :old: :old:

Hope you have a great time Mike, and I would love to see some pictures of the show.

Dave

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 06:51:50 PM »
Jo will they be running any trains at the weekend?

I read on another forum of two other clubs that had trackside fires last weekend, luckily they had placed buckets of water around the track so were able to put them out but say that unless there is rain this week they will ban live steam next weekend so only those who like to sit behind fibreglass boxes with fake electronic sounds will be able to play.

EDIT, Just read that most of Guildford had no water supply so could not even fill buckets let alone put out a fire :o
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 07:02:39 PM by Jasonb »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 07:07:34 PM »
Jo will they be running any trains at the weekend?

No idea. I am not a member any longer.

I am not going for the Choochoos I am going so I can say hello my friends and have a fondle  :embarassed:

Jo
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 07:24:01 PM by Jo »

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2018, 04:55:52 AM »
Hi Troops

On my way ... Zoooooooooooooooommmm   :Lol:  Or maybe something a little more modest ...  :headscratch:

Dave

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 08:37:11 AM »
Outcome of the show visit yesterday: it has become a Railway Gala not a model show  :'(

I took a few photo's of Mike^2 models, had a good chat with some friends, had two ice creams brought for me  and acquired a bacon buttie  :mischief: Later I was witness to the fastest scoffing of a packet of sticky whatsits that I had ever seen  :o I barely got one and there was a look of panic on Eric's face as he stood explaining something to someone when he realised that there was only one left.

There was hardly any visitors and the few traders who turned up were grumbling about no one buying stuff. So other than going to see the Mike's if they have a gazebo again to display their models that will be the last Guildford show for me  :(

Jo

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2018, 09:19:36 AM »
Sad days indeed

From what you have posted in the past it used to be a great all round show but alas not any more , bet it’s red tape,insurance . Little jimmy/Jane may touch something sharp

Alas we live in a nanny state , I dread to think of the antics I used to get up to H&S what’s that to kids

We used to go out with a bottle of water all day come home when we were hungry I think I was six/seven years old , all mam said don’t talk to strangers

Any way you had a good meet and great so all was not lost
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2018, 11:54:36 AM »
Went , courtesy of JR72's kind efforts, to the Open Day yesterday, and in fairness, if one had no idea of what the Rally had been in it's many years of heyday ( not the recent few years ) then one would have been quite pleased with the event as a free club open day. Especially if one was fairly local to Stoke Park.
   We had made a longish journey and my friend was disappointed, hoping for much more in the way of viewable model engineering of which I must admit, I had not expected to see a lot. Of course, magnificent, I might say almost incredible, work such as the aero engines shown by Mike 1 and 2 is always exciting to see.     The roastingly hot day was not a big help to older spectators and traders, but my thanks to the gentlemen who had brought the couple of stalls with books, magazines and related stuff, I enjoyed my trawl through all of that!, and a few purchases.    Dave

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2018, 06:44:30 PM »
As Dave said, both days were roasting hot. I was well and truly cooked when I got home on Sunday night.

It is so disappointing that the once great Guilford Model Exhibition has become a steam train weekend. Unfortunately the ever increasing cost of hiring the big marque, the insurance cover for the models in the clubs care and overnight security guards to protect them, proved to much for the small club. They risk a significant loss, if there is a low attendance for whatever reason. This year they faced competition from the England World Cup football match on the Saturday, Wimbledon Lawn Tennis all weekend and the British Grand Prix from Silverstone on the Sunday. The warm temperature could also temp many potential visitors away to the coast and seaside resorts or to sit at home, in the cool, watching TV

Despite this, Mike Cole and myself bravely set up our gazebo and put on a display of our engines for the two days. It's true that there were few other models on display elsewhere, and that visiter numbers were very low, compared to previous years, but the two of us enjoyed the weekend. We never had a moment when there was not a visitor enquiring about or having long chats about the models. Truth is, there was little else for them to do and our gazebo did offer some shade from the sun. The few traders that attended had a poor time, I doubt some even covered their fuel costs.

I have unpacked and attempting to prevent all those sweaty little fingerprints leaving permanent impressions on the bright steelwork. I have wiped down all the bare metal surfaces the engines with pads soaked in WD40 . I hope that will stop the finger prints becoming indelibly etched in the steel. Can any member offer a better alternative? Perhaps I should invest in an electronic cattle prod.

Sorry to say, I have no photos, perhaps Jason or Jo can provide some.

Cheers

Mike
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 09:20:58 PM by Vixen »

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2018, 07:01:22 PM »
Mike, it was good to see the Jupiter in the flesh but alas I only took 2 photos the whole time and I posted them in the thread below. I may have taken more but was kidnapped by two members who thought that if I saw a workshop full of non far eastern machines and piles of castings that I would come round to their way of thinking :LittleDevil:

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,7440.msg177473.html#msg177473

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal