Author Topic: 45CC Wall Wizard  (Read 24835 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: 45CC Wall Wizard
« Reply #165 on: November 04, 2018, 08:24:47 AM »
Well if its worth doing , you may as well do it right and there are a lot of bits to paint. Especially when you have to etch prine, High Build prime, colour prime (2 colours). paint (2 colours) clear fuel proof. Oh and heat resistant black for the exhaust.

I somehow suspect that they didn't go to such lengths on most original engines  :headscratch:. They probably did more along my lines: prime and 2 top coats  ::)

Sunday  :thinking: I wonder if I will get some spare time to do those valves today, this retirement lark is hard work  ::)

Jo 
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #166 on: November 04, 2018, 10:15:53 AM »
I doubt that they did either but they did use the same sort of sand for both full size and our castings so the texture needs to be scaled down hence the prep work, filler primer etc.

Funny enough someone else asked me about writing something about how I go about painting models but they were willing to pay :LittleDevil: End of my Gade thread is where I usually direct people as I went into a bit more detail on that build.

J

PS Got that Robinson running yet :stickpoke:

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #167 on: November 04, 2018, 10:27:27 AM »
The Polly Wobbles Robinson castings are as smooth as a baby's hum  ::)

Take the money, take the money, your pension fund needs it  :ThumbsUp:

PS Got that Robinson running yet :stickpoke:

I have been playing with the bonfire   :embarassed: I hope to go and play after lunch, I need to check the bounce after the seizure the other day  :thinking:

Jo  :old:

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #168 on: November 04, 2018, 05:00:15 PM »
She must be, as my friend Max says, giving the Robinson the silent treatment.  :lolb:

How long did the Pacific Vapor Engine take Dave? And if his posted progress is to be believed JB hasn't been in his workshop for weeks I accept that those of you who still have to work can use that as an excuse as you don't get much workshop time  :disappointed: But at least you can look forward to retiring at some point in your future (maybe)

Can't say because its not finished yet.  :)  Still hoping for this winter though.
I guess what's important is that we work on what makes us happy at the time.

Dave

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #169 on: November 10, 2018, 05:36:38 PM »
The valve heads had a centre drill hole added so that I could support them using a half centre, lubricated with some Rocol  :ThumbsUp: this allowed first the face, then the back face to be cut using the same carbide lathe tool, then the back cleaned up using a parting off cutter being careful not to score the shank of the valve.

At this point I found that the head was too thick  :toilet_claw: So it needed about 1.4mm milled off each. While I was at it I decided to drill/mill the exhaust and inlet ports. First I had to find the centre of the port, then it was a simple act of drilling and boring. I was a bit concerned about getting the right amount of movement on the valves, having put them together it is clear that the valve tapers are going to have to be cut well so that they are level with the face on the head. Did I mention I cut made a cutter out of silver steel to cut the valve seat while I was cutting the valves  ::)

Jo

« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 06:15:43 PM by Jo »

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #170 on: November 10, 2018, 06:45:22 PM »
Jo, is it just an optical illusion or something on the drawings as the valve angles look quite a bit steeper than usual?

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #171 on: November 10, 2018, 07:12:16 PM »
Just caught up on the last 5 pages. Very enjoyable.  :ThumbsUp:

Retirement seems to suit you well.

I'm still struggling.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #172 on: November 10, 2018, 09:16:51 PM »
Jo, is it just an optical illusion or something on the drawings as the valve angles look quite a bit steeper than usual?

The valve angle is the standard 45 degrees. On a higher performance engine their would be a double angle but that was something we learnt about later than the design of this engine ;)

Retirement seems to suit you well.

I'm still struggling.

Thanks Zee, like you I am still struggling: We all have to relearn time management in our retirement. On one side is the need to enjoy ourselves, on the other the need to achieve things. I too am favouring the enjoying myself  :slap:

Jo

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #173 on: November 11, 2018, 07:20:04 AM »
Ta, must just be the camera angle as I thought they looked almost the same as the 55deg insert.

Looks like progress weather today, none of that hanging around with three tree fellas

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #174 on: November 11, 2018, 07:35:40 AM »
Image 0981 seems to have 'fish eye' distortion as the tailstock also seems not to align with the chuck. Have you used bronze for the valve guides? It looks to have a pinkish tinge.
Best regards

Roger

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #175 on: November 11, 2018, 08:01:59 AM »
That would need a lot of fish eye and anyway the valve is in the middle so should be less distorted.

If I did not know better I would say the edge of the 55deg insert was used at the same setting for facing the end as that would give the result on the right. For the insert to have been used with the topslide swung over to 45deg the tool would need to be swung round as shown in the middle and if the edge of the 55deg insert were used to cut 45deg thn it would need swinging round evemn more as on the left.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 08:15:19 AM by Jasonb »

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #176 on: November 11, 2018, 12:53:51 PM »
Jason

I think you may be  looking at the roughing cut. All is not lost, the tool can still be set over for the 45 degree finishing cut. :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

What is the angle of the valve seat cutter?

Mike
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 01:04:59 PM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #177 on: November 11, 2018, 01:10:36 PM »
Jo said she made the cutter at the same setting, I was just hoping she had not already cut the seats and definately hoping she had not cut the seats before pushing the guides back out of the head which it looks like has been done. At least they may go back in a bit straighter than the marks suggest:-[

There is nowhere for tailstock support now but if the insert were changed to a DCGT and light cuts taken it should be OK without

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #178 on: November 11, 2018, 01:13:13 PM »
Just to keep you lot quiet  :ShakeHead:

Haven't you got a workshop to tidy up, something must be out of line in there  :stickpoke:

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #179 on: November 11, 2018, 01:17:37 PM »
All of the valve seats are cut to the same depth using the stop on the pillar drill and it looks like I have the right amount of valve movement available  :ThumbsUp:

Those of you who were observant will have noticed that I used a bit of JB weld on the exhaust/inlet faces. This has been disguised using a bit of high temperature paint and as it is at the bottom it should not notice  :-X

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal