Author Topic: 45CC Wall Wizard  (Read 24804 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: 45CC Wall Wizard
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2018, 05:00:14 PM »
Can't see much difference between work and this retirement lark, you still seem to spend Friday in the workshop  :LittleDevil:

I have been told that it takes about a month to realise that you are not on a really long holiday which will end at some point with the usual drudgery to look forward to   :)

Zee: Oilon is a type of self-lubricating plastic used to make gears. It has oil in it which I was not convinced was all that good for high voltage applications  :noidea:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2018, 05:00:59 PM »

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2018, 05:25:29 PM »
I have been told that it takes about a month to realise that you are not on a really long holiday which will end at some point with the usual drudgery to look forward to   :)

Just a month?  :disagree:

Zee: Oilon is a type of self-lubricating plastic used to make gears. It has oil in it which I was not convinced was all that good for high voltage applications  :noidea:

Thanks. The spelling threw me off.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2018, 06:48:06 AM »
A rummage at the local model engine drawing library has brought to light one of the original Wizard blue prints which shows the alternative head arrangements.  :thinking:

It should be enough to capture the dimensions for the alternative parts :noidea:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2018, 07:15:25 AM »
Does seem very low in the cylinder which suggests it may have been moved due to oiling up of the plug or it getting whet when the engine flooded.

Maybe top mount would be a safer option as it is two less things to stop it running.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2018, 04:06:37 PM »
Having had a very nice visit from Dave (Bluechip  :) ) it was time to finish off the Distributor:

The three studs on the cap were turned from some 7mm diameter brass. Turned and threaded 5BA, parted off and domed by hand. Two studs are 17 mm long to go into the sides and the top stud is 16mm long. If you look inside the cap you find that the mounting holes for the HT leads are very close to the bottom of the bore so it is necessary to mill a flat on one side of the heads.

The rotor arm is a simple turning with a piece of 0.8mm thick brass as the pickup, which had to be bent up to bring the centre up to rest on the top terminal.

The distributor is finished. Now it is time to think about what to make this coming week now that I don't have to go to work any more  :whoohoo:

Jo

Online Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2018, 04:41:10 PM »
Having had a very nice visit from Dave (Bluechip  :) )
Jo

Aaah ....    I've come over all unnecessary ....  :embarassed:  The pleasure was all mine ...  :-*

Conducted tour of the garden.
Three mugs of tea.
Got rid of some more stuff.
And a free Fig to boot ... what's not to like.  :cartwheel:

Apart from taking four hours to get back ....  :disappointed:  Where DO all these buggers come from ?? M25 clogged solid for miles. Does one's humour a power of no good looking at 40 MPH limit signs on the overhead gantries while you sit there thinking Continental Drift would be quicker ....  :rant:

Anyway Jo, see link for 'apparent'  ????? unsuitability of SRBF for high voltage.

www.directplastics.co.uk/tufnol-sheet

I wonder if it would be an improvement to the surface resistivity if it was sprayed with Conformal Coating as per PCBs ??

Just a thought while my sausages cook.    :thinking:  :headscratch:

Dave

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2018, 11:16:13 PM »
I wonder if it easily carbonizes from exposure to high voltage ....  :thinking: .... :zap:

I have certainly seen this happening in tube Amps. Here a arc-over usually ruins the socket and it is simply impossible to clean them well enough afterwards to guaranty that the error don't come back ....  :zap:  :Mad:

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2018, 06:37:45 AM »
Tufnol was the thing for making high voltage thingies back in the 1950's. I wonder if the advice has changed over the years as better material has come along  :noidea:

Jo
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 11:47:32 AM by Jo »

Online Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2018, 07:52:06 AM »
SRBF was the thing for making high voltage thingies back in the 1950's. I wonder if the advice has changed over the years as better material has come along  :noidea:

Jo

Not sure about that. I was working with the stuff in the '60's and for anything above (maybe   :thinking: ) 50V or so it was always SRBP as in the 'Kite' brand from Tufnol.

https://tufnol.com/sectors/electrical.aspx

T'other stuff now is  ( FR4 ? ) PCB laminate which is a glass / epoxy.

The only time I can actually remember parts, usually turned bushes etc., being made from SRBF was for low voltage stuff ...  :headscratch:

What would YOU call high voltage? 

Dave

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2018, 08:04:51 AM »
Well Dave

<=240vac is considered low voltage
440vac medium voltage

Now those were in place when I Wxxked for a living

Things get interesting at 11kvac and above

BTW it’s no fun in a OCB  cubical with the truck out phasing out with two resistance stacks in hand watching the sparks fly

Now where is the van de graf machine for some serious volts ,or a nice Tesla coil  :zap:

My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2018, 08:53:36 AM »
I think I have let the cat out of the bag  :paranoia: At this point guys I am going to claim innocence and blame my supplier for recommending it to me  ;)

As it is a Monday I feel the need to go and make some swarf  :ThumbsUp:

Jo

Online Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2018, 09:29:44 AM »

As it is a Monday I feel the need to go and make some swarf  :ThumbsUp:

Jo

Quite right too ...  ;D  Like I said yesterday, try it. See what happens.

It may well be that SRBF is not considered suitable in some HV applications because it degrades over time. If you don't run the engine much ( ? ) it isn't a valid argument ....  ;D

Back to wood butchering ..  :(

Dave

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2018, 12:00:48 PM »
I think that it is rather interesting that the two links Dave supplied has different explanations about Tufnol.

The later link from tufnol.com claims very good electric specifications and the wholesale company has slightly different naming conventions and very different electric and very good mechanical specifications - makes me guess that it's from a different manufacture who specialize in the bearing qualities of their version.  :noidea:

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2018, 12:25:33 PM »
Hello Jo
'
I am not sure that SRBF /Tufnol is the best choice for the distributor cap. At the very least, I would seal the surfaces with a PCB conformal coating. The 'as cut' surfaces will act as a magnet for dirt and grime; arc over and tracking will quickly follow. I would consider remaking the dizzy cover in Delrin.

I have 20 metres of 20KV 3.0 mm diameter silicone ignition wire, coming on the slow boat from China. You could have a spare metre or two to test.

Mike
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 03:41:58 PM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal