Author Topic: 45CC Wall Wizard  (Read 24844 times)

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
Re: 45CC Wall Wizard
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2018, 08:35:19 AM »
What the ekk have I started  :stir:

Eating animals what next uggg
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2018, 01:05:02 PM »
Gudgeon pins.... What I hear you ask is there difficult about making Gudgeon pins  :headscratch:

Gudgeon pins are normally hollow. The hole through the gudgeon pin is termed a long hole (depth of cut relative to the diameter of the drill) .... this means that there is a good chance that the drill will get bored and start going for a wander on the way through leaving one end with the hole off centre :facepalm: This is not really a problem except that on the ends of the pin goes two little brass caps to prevent the bore getting scored if the pin moves. If you try turning these caps out of 6.35mm bar stock they will be off set  :(

Where the Gudgeon pin is 6.35mm diameter I have chose to make the caps out of 7mm brass (= a scrap size that was found in the drawer). Initially the brass is centre drilled and then turned to be a press fit in the Gudgeon pin. I know the drawing doesn't show it being drilled but if you try pressing the two end caps into place without the hole you will end up with trapped wind air which is going to get hot when the engine runs (assuming the engine actually runs  :facepalm2: ) and push the caps onto the bore of the cylinder  :ShakeHead: These caps need to be a good fit in the gudgeon pin but be warned if you drill after turning the brass will grown and it will not fit the pin  :disappointed:

Once parted off these little caps might seem like they will be difficult to hold but we are going to press one into each gudgeon pin, turn the pin to size and complete the drilling holding the gudgeon pin in a collet chuck. then fit the other cap and repeat the turning and drilling. the drawing shows these caps as square  :hellno:  they need to be domed, this is because when the pin goes into the piston the shape of the piston is curved and by the time you get the gudgeon pins in the edge of the brass cap would be proud of the piston skirt.

The two pins with caps have both been drilled (and the inside de-swarfed  ::) ) the only other thing I should mention is that the gudgeon pin hole in the piston was reamed with a hand reamer: as you know hand reamers have a taper and on the pistons we want one pin hole slightly smaller as it will lightly hold the gudgeon pin and stop it from moving around  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2018, 03:14:23 PM »
I have been wondering about the cylinder head again: On some of the Wizards I have seen the sparkplug is mounted on the top and on others it is on the side of the engine. I had assumed that there was an early and a late design but it looks like a variation in the way the engine is built  :noidea:

Looking at the GA it shows the bent rocker arms mounted on a pivot post and the spark plug at the top surface  :thinking: The other arrangement is using the cylinder head turned round and the place where the pivot post goes as the sparkplug hole  :headscratch: and then taking two posts off the top of the cylinder studs. It does let the push rods run more parallel about the cylinders but a smaller spark plug would also do that.

So guys: Is the spayed rockers one of the "features" on this engine that gives it character/

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2018, 04:27:35 PM »
Are the Rockers actually "splayed" to me it looks like the rockers are in exactly the same positions and the only thing that varies is on one they pivot off a single central post and on the other they have separate posts that are extensions of the head nuts.

Rockets still pivot in the same plane so apply their force directly down onto the valve

Unless you have a photo that shows this "splay". Or a side view of the engine.

J

PS You could drill your gudgeon pins from both ends and have a lot less hastle
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 04:35:44 PM by Jasonb »

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2018, 04:42:35 PM »
One pic with spark plugs at the top, one on the side. On one design the arms have a noticeable bend (3.2mm) on the other they are straight.

I did drill the gudgeon pins from both ends but the drill still wandered.

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2018, 05:17:24 PM »
I can see it now, was not that obvious from the top or side drawing views that they were bent, only the more splayed push rods.

Would not say its that mach of a feature that it would make or break the look of the engine. Top plug may be a bit less prone to flooding but wiring will not be as neat as the side plug which could be kept short and go straight down into the display base.

50/50 for me either way, so do what you fancy unless someone else knows of a specific reason for one over the other.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2018, 07:14:07 PM »
I keep forgetting to drill the cylinders for the studs. The drawing shows the holes through the fins very tight for the studs but I chose to let Tgs drill them 3.6mm rather than 3.2mm for the 5BA stud. A tricky drilling operation as other than the top surface each fin presents a reverse tapered edge to the drill trying to encourage it to go off line  :ShakeHead: so I let Tgs use a four facet drill and gravity to drill the stud holes.

A quick family shot then as the sun has finally got on my workshop  :( it must be time to come in for a drink  :wine1:

Jo

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2018, 07:44:04 PM »
From personal taste and a technical point of view, the top picture is a no no - bad (tools) access to the plug (between the rods) and a lousy flame-front => risk of ignition problems .... If it was part of a two plug system, it might have made a bit more sense  :noidea:

But that shouldn't stop you - especially if it was that way originally ....

Another of your builds I look forward to see run  :cheers:  :popcorn:

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2018, 07:45:01 PM »
Mein Gott ! I can only salute your perseverance ....  :ThumbsUp: 

At 08:30 I had 28oC in the garage and that was  IT !!!  I gave up.

Just got hotter after that. Eventually up to 38.6 oC at 14:00 ish. 

Fan no help at all. Just wafts hot air about.  :shrug:  Decided to disappear indoors for 'ring-pull' practice interspersed with dozing ....  :old:

Dave

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2018, 08:28:14 AM »
Still following in the background and enjoying  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :wine1: You could always make one cylinder head/rocker assembly in each style and decide which one you like best  :stir:  :stir:  :LittleDevil:
Best regards

Roger

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2018, 09:07:12 AM »
Hi Roger,

I am leaning towards having the spark plug coming out of the side. Seemingly this was as shown on the original blue prints which my supplier forgot to bring me when he visited last week  :rant: We assume they moved it due to the plug being at the far bottom of the cylinder and it oiling up  :Doh:

Update on progress: I have done a little on the distributor but work on the Wizard has been delayed due to my early retirement and preparing for the possible arrival of another member of the house hold: my Mobility Vehicle  :mischief: By the end of the week I will need to go back to work for a rest  :ROFL:  or I might use a couple of hours in the workshop as a rest   ;)

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2018, 03:53:49 PM »
As I did not have a piece of suitable rod insultator to make the distributor cap out of I was forced to use a bit of an old test jig and machine it to fit  ::) having worked out where I could take the required 38mm out of avoiding any of the existing feature the centre was marked and the piece set up in the four jaw. Here it could have the inside bored and the hole drilled that goes through the top.

Having found a suitable piece of scrap ali it was turned to fit the inside of the cap, centre drilled and tapped to take a 1/8th whit cap screw. This was then used as a jig to enable the outside of the cap to be machined.

Before being again used to hold the cap while the holes on the outside were drilled. I still need to make up the brass studs for it  :)

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2018, 04:07:47 PM »
Below the insulting cap is the distributor cap base casting  :pinkelephant:  this takes a bit of thinking about: The tendency will be to hold it by the chucking piece and turn the front face first  :ShakeHead: What needs to happen is the opposite we need to turn the back face and the chucking piece while holding the large diameter in a chuck. With the chucking piece at the required 9.53mm it gives us not only the finished surface but also lots to hold on to in a collet while we turn the front face to be a nice tight fit in the cap.

The cap can now be taken over to have the holes drilled in it: The two to mount the insulting cap need to be tapped and the other two are to mount the contact arm on to.

Only now do we look at removing the excess chucking piece on the back of the cap. Mounted in a three jaw with suitable pieces of protection (ali drinks can held in place with double sided sticky tape  :naughty: ) With the base casting held by the chucking piece in a drill chuck in the tailstock the chuck can be tightened around the casting with the knowledge that it is all nice and square and then the unwanted material can be finally removed  :)

And while I have been at it I have started the rotor arm   :wine1:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2018, 04:17:46 PM »
Can't see much difference between work and this retirement lark, you still seem to spend Friday in the workshop  :LittleDevil:

I wonder if that Oilron bar you have would be a suitable insulating material? would save having to cut up flat stock.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2018, 04:41:30 PM »
Good pics and details Jo.  :popcorn:

@Jason: What is 'Oilron' bar?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal