Author Topic: 45CC Wall Wizard  (Read 24925 times)

Online Bluechip

• Derbyshire
Re: 45CC Wall Wizard
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2018, 12:34:15 PM »
I think that it is rather interesting that the two links Dave supplied has different explanations about Tufnol.

The later link from tufnol.com claims very good electric specifications and the wholesale company has slightly different naming conventions and very different electric and very good mechanical specifications - makes me guess that it's from a different manufacture who specialize in the bearing qualities of their version.  :noidea:

The first link gives 1P13 Kite & Whale

1P13 SRBF
Whale SRBF
Kite SRBP  only this is a type is considered reliable insulator.

The second link selects  only the electrical grade laminates. Hence they are all suitable as you might expect.  :)
If you look elsewhere on this site for 1P13 & Whale I suspect the two opinions will be the same.

Dave

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2018, 06:19:13 PM »
The balance weights for the crankshaft come as two castings. The top was milled flat and the centre milled and drilled out for the mounting screws. turning the weight over and locating it using the drill it is possible to quickly relocate the casting to counterbore for the screwheads. The weights can now be tried on the crank.

I decided to use a bit of 16mm square as a jig: First drilled and tapped in the side for the balance weight screws it then had each weight screwed on the side for turning. First the back which yet again was a bit close  :o and then a fair bit to come off the front.

Cleaning up the undercut was interesting as there are no measurement on the drawing but as I already knew the casting was very tight  I decided to cheat and use a boring head on the mill to pick up the existing profile and give it a skim. Just the taper and the thread needed on the crankshaft  :thinking:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #92 on: August 16, 2018, 11:08:13 PM »
Nicely done Jo, good idea on the fixture to turn the weights. :ThumbsUp:

Dave

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2018, 08:55:43 AM »
Interesting thought using a fixture block. I have always turned the balance weights when they are fixed to the crankshaft.
Best regards

Roger

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2018, 04:00:31 PM »
This is one of the exhaust flanges: It is undersized  :( that boss on the top has to be bored out 12.7mm and it is starting out at 13.8mm which does not leave a lot. Having given the back a rub on some abrasive paper to flatten it off and using the boss to hold the flange by it was stuck on a bit of old steel in one of Mr Silky's collets.

It was horrible, snatched and came off the glue mount at this point I decided that that wafer of metal around the flange was not enough and it would need correcting. So knock up a couple of new bosses at 15mm diameter, silver solder into place and then use that boss to hold the part while turning the backs.

Before I drilled the mounting holes I decided to check with the size nuts the drawing asks for and  :facepalm: look at that no way is a nut that size going to fit, even one size down is too tight  :ShakeHead: So I decided to go for 7BA studs rather than the 5BA the drawing shows which means they need to be drilled 2.5mm not 3.5mm and as I have not done the heads yet the drawing has been updated for those as well :)

I will need to think about the inlet castings, they are all solid without any obvious means to hold them  :thinking:

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #95 on: August 23, 2018, 08:12:27 AM »
The easiest of the inlet castings to do was the centre one which has two flats on it and can be held in a vice.

The longer of the elbows had a simple jig made so that it could have its flange mounted true for drilling the mounting holes. Cutting to depth was scary  :paranoia: I think I might have come a bit close but it did not break through

Now for the tricky one   :thinking:

Jo

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #96 on: August 23, 2018, 11:53:04 AM »
That is a very tricky part to make Jo.

I have a 3D "drill bit" for wood the brown stuff (it's a combo of a drill and a mill bit) that can drill around corners - looks like you could use something similar here  :noidea:

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #97 on: August 23, 2018, 01:24:11 PM »
Thanks Per they have been a bit taxing especially as I seem to have caught a summer cold  :facepalm2:

Having got confidence with the first one, on the second I tried holding it in the vice and turning the vice to square up the flange before drilling it (the piece of post-it is for use as a feeler gauge so I don't drill into my vice jaws  :hellno: ).

about this point I decided to play it safe and run a little silver solder in the corners of the pipes where the bronze had deflected where the cutters came a little close to the outside: This would mean that there would be less likelihood to break through during polishing  :)

I turned up a little button so I could use it to file the ends circular but fund it also provided enough of a grip so I could hold the castings while "hand planing" under the wider part where the copper pipes will be fitted later.

Three inlet flanges polished and ready for fitting next I need to find something simple while my head is still suffering from this cold  :noidea:

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #98 on: August 24, 2018, 04:18:52 PM »
I have decided to use a piece of silver steel for the camshaft. Having turned the end to be a nice fit in the bearing it seemed like a good time to drill for the 7BA screws while it was easy to hold on to.

Then the remainder of the lobes could be roughed out. A bit of confusion set in about now  :facepalm2:  while I tried to work out if the drawing was right and it really meant that I should cut both inlets/exhausts in the same position relative to each other... then it dawned on me  :facepalm: of course the camshaft goes round half the speed of the crank so yes both need to be machined at the same angle as the crank goes round it will be correct :old:

Jo

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #99 on: August 24, 2018, 05:30:42 PM »
Those manifold parts were tricky little things  ::) How are you planning to cut the cam lobes?
Best regards

Roger

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #100 on: August 24, 2018, 05:36:54 PM »
I am hoping to do it using the dividing head: I can get 5 degrees by using an 18 hole wheel, then I just need to work out the offsets  :noidea:

Jo

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #101 on: August 24, 2018, 07:45:01 PM »
I use a 60 tooth change wheel for direct dividing giving 6° There is an offset calculator on the MEN website.
Best regards

Roger

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #102 on: August 24, 2018, 07:58:10 PM »
Thanks Roger  :)

Typo there  :Doh: a 18 tooth wheel gives 0.5 degrees

Jo

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #103 on: August 25, 2018, 07:35:29 AM »
0.5 degree steps is rather fine, 3 degrees should be sufficient.
Best regards

Roger

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #104 on: September 18, 2018, 04:03:44 PM »
To encourage me to get back on with this engine I took the blank wizard cam over to visit my supplier today and we discussed ways to machine the cam :)

It seems that someone had been in contact before I got there and put his order in for two sets of Wall castings to replace the Wizard.  Surus seemed to be expecting them when I got home so I have left him fondling his new castings hopefully at some point I might be allowed to have a fondle as well   :noidea:

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal