Author Topic: 45CC Wall Wizard  (Read 24856 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: 45CC Wall Wizard
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2018, 08:07:52 PM »
I thought it might be useful to have the pistons to check the bores with. These are two castings which had a nasty casting line in the piston skirt and the bore in the skirt was already over size  :ShakeHead: But this was cleaned up so that tailstock support could be provided as the piston was taken to size and the grooves for the rings cut. There are also cavitation grooves in the lower part of the piston but I am not sure if they are needed  :headscratch:

H drilled and reamed the Gudgeon pin hole for us. Which then allowed me to use each piston to test how the honing was going.

Both cylinders have been left to rest with the pistons a tight sliding fit. Tomorrow once they have had plenty of time to temperature stabilised I will let Smelly give the cylinders a final hone.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2018, 11:13:27 PM »
Jo,
I'm still following along. As for liner to cylinder, what Dave said. When I built VAL it called for some sort of round steel cylinder. Instead I used square fins matching the head. Aluminum cylinder and cast iron liner. If I recall ci & aluminum have similar expansion rates and shouldn't go anywhere.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2018, 03:28:35 PM »
Thanks Art  :)

Further discussions with my supplier has indicated that as this piston has rings that I am looking for a piston/cylinder fit such that is I put the piston in the cylinder it will slide happily up and down the bore if I "rattle it". We are still not sure if those cavitation grooves are really needed, Eric was concerned they might weaken the piston  :noidea:

Its a bit hot for the workshop this evening so I might take Dave's advice and relax and watch the world go by  :wine1:

Jo

P.S. I don't know what all this rubbish is about the availability of beer there was plenty of that fizzy stuff in the shops earlier  :headscratch:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2018, 04:00:53 PM »
What are the cavitation grooves supposed to do? Is it part of spreading oil or something?

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2018, 04:24:52 PM »
What are the cavitation grooves supposed to do? Is it part of spreading oil or something?

They are supposed to catch the oil as the pistons go in towards the crank and drag it up the bores  :noidea:

Jo

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2018, 04:33:29 PM »
Jo, what kind of interference fit did you have between the liners and the aluminum fins?

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2018, 04:45:12 PM »
I don't recall the measurements: they were "thinking" about going together but not quiet so I warmed the Cylinder Muff gently and put the liner in freezer. The warm Muff slid on up to the shoulder and it not going to come off and there is no gap for any nasty coke to try sneaking into  :hellno:

Jo
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 05:53:29 PM by Jo »

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2018, 05:52:34 PM »
As I recall I put the liner in the freezer and the cylinder in the oven and put them together with the arbor press.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Bobsmodels

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2018, 10:30:16 PM »
Jo

Somehow I just saw this thread.  I have one of these little beasts.  I picked it up at gas engine swap meet in Portland IN.  It was sitting on a trailer fender, with a trailer full of large hit and miss engines.  It had the prints and after some give and take on price it was mine.  I have only run it a occasionally and it does scream.  I could never get it to idle down, lots of issues, the float valve sticks and you have gasoline pouring out, not good.  I had been told by several owners that they put a different carburetor on it, ie a model airplane carb.  Someday I will get it going with all the original parts.   I have some nice small old Champion plugs for it.  The engine had been run a lot, there is wear in rocker arms to the point I may need to rebuild them, one keeps falling off after a short time.  It does get very hot, so I am not sure just how long it could run wide open.  I am sure with some TLC it would be a nice running display instead of a static one.

Thought you would like to see the fly wheel.  It has a notch in it for a rope start.  It has started most times on the second pull. 

Looking forward to seeing yours in action.

Bob

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2018, 06:25:06 AM »
Thanks Bob  :)

It is always nice to see other engines.  :thinking: It looks like the Wall evolved over time the earlier engines have the spark plug sticking out horizontally while yours is one of the later ones with them on top of the engine.

Thanks for the warning on the carb  :ThumbsUp:

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2018, 03:32:24 PM »
The piston rings were cut from the spare bit on the end of the cylinder liner a few days ago but for some reason I turned a couple to 1.65mm rather than 1.6mm  :headscratch: So Mr Silky skimmed off the offending .05mm for me. The rings have had any sharp edges taken off the inside edges and they fit nicely in the grooves with a little bit of space for sliding  :)

Breaking the rings is easy: Using a vice and a pair of pliers they can be gently snapped and the face where it broke cleaned up with a needle file. Then the gaps checked in the bore we are looking for at least 0.1mm per 25mm diameter of bore for the gap ;) The rings were then pushed over a piece of steel and hung in the foundry hearth and heated to red hot until they fell from the hanger steel and left to cool in the hot hearth.

While waiting for them to cool I finished honing the pistons and then Mr Silky turned them to finished length for me. At the end of which the rings were done and can be stored for later.

Which just left the need to give both the cylinder and the pistons a little boil in water with a little washing up liquid. So it must be time for a  :wine1: with qualifying  :naughty:

Jo

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2018, 04:28:58 PM »
Nice work there Jo

Was the food tender I would have thought 20mins. Per kilo plus 20 over should have been ok  :stir:

88’s
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2018, 05:15:27 PM »
Thanks Stuart.

Was the food tender I would have thought 20mins. Per kilo plus 20 over should have been ok  :stir:

I normally go for 20 mins per lb  ::) but I do like to cook my Steak such that you can still hear it Mooing as it runs around the plate as I try to prong it with the fork :naughty:

Jo

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2018, 06:47:04 PM »

I do like to cook my Steak such that you can still hear it Mooing as it runs around the plate as I try to prong it with the fork :naughty:

Jo

Bleaaagh !! 

Thousands of years ago some pre-Neanderthal Geezer sweated his rocks off to perfect the art of fire-making to cook meat. All for nowt it seems ...  :thinking: 

Maybe evolution has gone into reverse ...  :shrug:  Back to my Pud Noir and mashed tatties ... well, frozen mash from Iceland ...  :ThumbsUp:

Dave

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2018, 08:09:10 PM »

Bleaaagh !! 

Thousands of years ago some pre-Neanderthal Geezer sweated his rocks off to perfect the art of fire-making to cook meat. All for nowt it seems ...  :thinking: 

Thankfully we have bred better meat on the hoof than he had to eat in the intervenient period  ::)  The cheaper poor quality stuff is best slow roasted to make it edible ;)

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal