Author Topic: 45CC Wall Wizard  (Read 24833 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: 45CC Wall Wizard
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2018, 08:05:03 AM »
Thanks Mike, it is just under 102mm diameter.

The crankcase castings are all over the place :facepalm2: So the first problem is to decide how much I can take off each surface to square it up so that it can be held. The aim is to be able to first machine the face where the two castings join (leaving boths sides the same thickness), then the base making sure the top of the castings are the same height and lastly the two ends so that the front and the back of the shaped part of the castings seem to align. Nothing to it really  ::)

Best not look too closely at the positioning of the feet relative to all of this as they will be hidden under the gubbins  :-X

Then I needed a couple of sketches to find where the holes would need to be for the next step beginning the machining using the DRO to set it out: The first drawing shows the positioning of the cylinder and tappet block relative to the centre line of each casting and the second the line boring detail needed once the two castings have been put together :)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2018, 08:23:04 AM »
I've dug out some more information on Mr Elmer Wall from a 1933 Model engineer Magazine and it appears that this engine was available earlier than I thought so have updated my first post in this thread accordingly

Jo

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2018, 08:57:30 PM »
I've dug out some more information on Mr Elmer Wall from a 1933 Model engineer Magazine and it appears that this engine was available earlier than I thought so have updated my first post in this thread accordingly

Jo

Hi Jo, I look forward to seeing how the build goes.

This ebay advertiser seems to imply it dates from as early as 1929 but I appreciate that may not be correct

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/engine-ELMER-A-WALL-WIZARD-45CC-DE-1929-41-/262837188166

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2018, 12:05:39 AM »
Hi Big E  :)

Pleased at least one person is interested in this engine  :ThumbsUp: I was getting worried no one was interested after I suggested this is not a pretty engine   ::)

As my Dad told me when I was a wee lad, "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder".

Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2018, 12:13:07 AM »
I'm always interested in your projects Jo.

Dave

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2018, 03:28:24 AM »
What's not pretty, I like it. Pity about the problems with the castings.
Ian S C

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2018, 03:46:04 AM »
Jo,
I'll be following along. I like Wall engines. As for the casting squareness problem maybe you should have made them from bar stock? :lolb:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2018, 10:20:19 AM »
As for the casting squareness problem maybe you should have made them from bar stock? :lolb:

:lolb: I am not that strapped for cash  :hellno:

We have some reference surfaces. But there is still going to have to be compromises. I should have put the mounting holes in the middle of the feet rather than to drawing one is decidedly to one side. First up drill and tap so the two sides fit together then bore the holes  for the cylinders and tappet block. The existing holes were well out of position  :facepalm:

I may have mentioned working with castings is a compromise  :-\ Yu can see both tappet blocks while central to the cylinder are offset on the casting. And before you ask yes I know the left hand casting has the its tappet block a little high and there seems to be extra on the tops of the feet but if I took more off the bottom then the tappet block would have needed to go higher on the casting and as it is there was barely enough to skim it :disappointed:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2018, 10:43:56 AM »
Bit of work with a die grinder or dremel and some needle files will soon have those tappet bosses equal around the holes.

What is the ali like to machine hard or gummy?

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2018, 11:08:32 AM »
What is the ali like to machine hard or gummy?

Its a bit gummy: One would have thought it would have hardened with age but my guess is that these were not heat treated either  :(

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2018, 12:05:33 PM »
Have you tried any lubrication? (For the metal not a glass for yourself) as it looks like you are cutting dry.

Alternatively give them back to your little custodian to let them age for quite a few more years until you retire :LittleDevil:

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2018, 12:30:06 PM »
Alternatively give them back to your little custodian to let them age for quite a few more years until you retire :LittleDevil:

...or sell them to me  ;)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2018, 01:21:48 PM »
:hellno:

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2018, 04:27:03 PM »
The castings were mounted on Tgs' bed and everything squared up (and checked using a torch )

I needed a big boring bit so made up a suitable one. Of course Tgs has the head room for this sort of job  :ThumbsUp: So then it is just a case of engage the vertical power feed and wait for it stop at the end, repeat until it reaches the suitable size for the covers - I turned up the covers while the power feed was doing its thing so I could check the fit  :ThumbsUp:

The cam shaft hole was the same length which is a long hole :facepalm: first drilled and then reamed to suit the declared size.

While it was all set up the holes for the covers could be drilled and tapped. Thankfully when it was turned over the casting looked in line there as well  :wine1:

Jo

P.S. Big E have you fondled your connecting rods yet :facepalm2:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 04:49:21 PM by Jo »

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2018, 05:30:07 PM »
Hi Jo

Coming along well ..  :ThumbsUp:

I notice the finning on yours is rather more generous than the illustration from ME 1933  :thinking:

The ones on the first pic. look to be aluminium and the earlier cast iron. Or just an artefact of the image ???

Dunno about you, too damned hot here. Up to 30.4oC at one time in the garage .... had to slink off back into the house to correct my electrolyte balance.
Well, shove a couple of cans down my neck and doze off in front of the telly actually  but it was the best I could do.  :D

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal