Author Topic: Ateliers Engine Build  (Read 11855 times)

Offline PJPickard

Re: Ateliers Engine Build
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2017, 05:20:43 PM »
Might castings be available to others? ;)

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2017, 05:59:38 PM »
Wow, great project, it will be a treat for you to machine all these parts !
in addition to this sophisticated mechanics, not plain pieces of metal, but decorated, all of them !
brave man !

Offline Rivergypsy

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2017, 01:09:13 PM »
PJ - let me speak to Dennis and see how he feels about more sets. I had a sneaking suspicion that part of this project would be a full drawing pack instead of fag packet sketches...  :facepalm:

Yup, it should be a great project, especially with the extra info - not fast if it's going to be done right, but the end result should be worth it! More SW on it tomorrow hopefully.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2017, 01:19:30 PM »
With the amount of detailed parts on that engine you would need a 100 a day habit to keep up the supply of fag packets :ShakeHead:

I meant to ask is there any progress on your full size engine?

Offline kvom

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2017, 04:56:42 PM »
Is this slated to be a team build, or everyone doing their own?

Offline Rivergypsy

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2017, 12:36:04 PM »
No, this one is everyone doing their own. I suspect there will be collaboration though, in that if someone is getting pieces laser cut, for example, it'd be nice to do a set for everyone.

Jason - I'm afraid to say I let it go. It was too heavy, too big, and the money & space liberated brought me a very nice little Kunzmann universal mill. It was a lovely thing, but right now it was just a bit too much :(

Offline GWRdriver

• Tennessee USA
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2019, 04:01:43 PM »
After months of merciless prodding :stickpoke: (which I needed anyway) I've joined my friend Dave and a few others in this build group.
It's a bit of a departure for me but it will a very interesting new challenge and model engineering adventure.
Thanks Dave!  :cheers:
Cheers,
Harry

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2019, 04:13:27 PM »
that sounds good, maybe an update of the state of play would be handy assuming some progress has been made in the last two years?

Online sco

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2019, 07:34:02 PM »
Some progress:
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2019, 09:13:47 PM »
Looks beautiful Simon  :praise2:

Is it welded together or  :noidea:

Online sco

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2019, 09:45:06 PM »
At the moment it is just fitted together - the parts are really close fitting and there is quite a lot of interlocking.  Plan will be to solder it as some point but I daren't do that yet as there is sure to be a need to take it apart for some reason.

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2019, 07:03:25 AM »
Should be a fun one to solder up. Is there a machining allowance so the critical surfaces can be skimmed after soldering or will mating parts be "adjusted" to suit?

Can you give an idea of the size of that assembly as I don't remember a scale being mentioned? I suppose anything will be a compromise between having it large enough to be able to model the small parts but being able to machine the large items such as the flywheel.

Offline Dennis

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2019, 03:36:12 PM »
Dave, glad you started a thread on this build.  It is going to be a beautiful model and fun build.  Simon, thanks for posting your assembly, mine is still sitting on the desk in my den, the parts are beautiful as cut and the precision is amazing.

I am greatly impresses by all the comments and input from everyone so far.  Every time I think I am starting to know a little about steam engines I read a column like this one and quickly get humbled by the knowledge freely shared by everyone else.  Thank you all and I hope you continue commenting throughout the project. 
Dennis

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal