Author Topic: A Small Case of Distraction  (Read 1553 times)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
A Small Case of Distraction
« on: June 20, 2018, 07:48:58 AM »
Hi guys,

With all the domestic distractions that seem to have gone on for weeks now I've been waiting for a degree of workshop 'continuity' before I get back onto the Corliss build. There has been odd days in the shid here and there so I decided to finally get round to this small project that's been on the cards for a couple of years.

The project is a small glass case intended to display a plastic model or two and as the make up will suit anything I thought some might like to see a few pics of it's make up. I have made various similar cases since the early eighties ranging from ones you can hold in one hand to one around 5ft long. All have been made from glass and wood surround and been made in an identical manner.

The glass used is 3mm float glass (4mm for larger versions). In the past it was essential to stress to the glass supplier that though the actual dimensions wasn't critical, squareness and getting the two long sides an identical length was. The glass I used for this case was 'machine' cut and absolutely spot on.

A simple fixture was constructed from particle board to hold the two long sides the correct distance apart and the end, shorter sides then glued on. Incidentally those small blue pads were on the glass as protectors - ha used to be old newspaper ;). Non adhesive but very 'sticky' on a smooth surface one side I found them a very useful aid in places.

The adhesive used is Loctite Multibond which glues glass extremely well. Two pack the catalyst is sprayed on one part and the adhesive applied to the other. The catalyst comes as a spray so the glass is quickly masked off to give a defined area.

The dimensions are such that gluing the end panels on and also the top leaves about half a mm short for the glue to ooze out on and form a fillet.

The base is made to suit the final internal dimensions of the glass box. This timber was all re-claimed from an old mahogany table top. Again the glass was masked off to apply the catalyst and the adhesive applied to the wood. It's not like Cyano - there is time to get things right but grab time is around a minute or so. As previously said there's been quite a few before and I've only ever known one piece of angle beading to come off while wiping a cloth over a case, no doubt due to inadequate cleaning of the glass.

The wood was given three coats of a light mahogany stain before fitting then three coats of french polish rubbed back with 000 wire wool in situ. Time taken to mask the panels is worth it as it prevents a build up of polish on the glass - a tedious job to remove neatly.

The finished product, ready for use

What's going in it? Well it's destined to sit below a picture in my lounge of First World war SE5 aircraft. It will house either one two seater WWI aircraft (as yet to be made) or at present two single seat fighters...

A Sopwith Camel

...and SE5a - both seen here on their respective decorative bases, too large unfortunately to fit inside the case.

It is intended at some stage to make a dedicated groundwork base but in the meantime they are on their own

And that's it in place - quite some time since the idea was muted but another job ticked off the list. The Waller engine has had a permanent home there but now doesn't look right - that now has to be re-homed elsewhere.

Cased models do add a certain air and making one is not as difficult as it may be thought. If you have access to a decent circular saw it's a bonus but there are commercially pre-cut sections that could be used.

As always I hope that's of interest to someone. Any questions just ask, in the meantime I'm off to see where I was at with that flywheel :)

Regards to you all 

Frum the ol shid - Ol Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: A Small Case of Distraction
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 12:43:29 PM »
That is beautiful Ramon and the picture hanging over the glass case sets it off perfectly as well.

Bill

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 12:50:08 PM »
Looks great Tug   :ThumbsUp:

What is the green engine just visible in the bottom pic ? It looks like a more elaborate Stuart, Jim Coombes engine. Very nice whatever it is  :)

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 01:07:41 PM »
Very nice Ramon, I can see why you would want to keep the dust off all that rigging wire on those great models. The modern UV glues are very good - crystal clear and ta drop wicks along the joint and is then set under UV light. I've only had this done by the glaziers but incredably strong, have done several glass shelves just stuck to a mirror so no brackets needed.

I have done similar myself though on larger cases I tend to cut two slots in te upringhts for teh glass but the cover angle works well on smaller items. If the display case is going on a wall I like to paint the back panel in the same colour emulsion like this 5ft one.

And a little one about 12" tall

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 07:29:29 PM »
Damn Rayban  8), I’ve got to have a chat with Sue: there has to be something you’re not good with  :lolb: :lolb:. Beautiful work ol’ boy  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Whiskey

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 09:40:09 PM »
Tug,

The case looks really nice - thanks for sharing the techniques.  I don't have a table saw any more (too scary  :o) but I think hardwood angle is available in the DIY sheds.

Cheers,
Rod

Online sco

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 10:01:46 PM »
The Sopworth Camel looks ready to scramble!  Thanks for posting the detail on the case manufacture Tug.

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 10:40:44 PM »
Hi guys - thanks for looking in  :)

Bill - we've had the picture for many years - it began with it's earlier 'sister' painting bought at an airshow. This one of the SE5s I bought at an ME show at Ally Pally - must have been the first one they held there after Wembley. I've always wanted to have a case as now just taken far too long to get there.

Peter - the engine you see is  a 1.333 to 1 fabricated version of Anthony Mounts Waller Table engine. I described it's build some time back (pre MEM actually) on HMEM.

Two nice cases there as well Jason and a nice yacht model to boot  :ThumbsUp: Is that an early J class? I did consider the Loctite UV glue when I made my first one but at the time it was exceptionally expensive plus the UV light as well. Multibond worked extremely well so I've used that for all the rest.

Hmmm - don't go there Eric  :lolb: - BTW I've heard some variations on the 'Tug' bit over the years but not the name, I can see I'll have to keep a careful watch on this - Ray Dar

Hi Rod got your PM - good to see you and Sally too. Looks like Suffolk may be a bit off the beaten track in future. I'm now very cautious using my saw - I gave the blade a test with my finger when making the launch - blade won :Doh:

Simon - Camel made from a very inexpensive kit - the SE5 the other extreme!

I began back on the Corliss today but tomorrow we're off to Grantham to pick up a new model yacht. A 1960 design and wood built 'Ten Rater' that has been beautifully restored - the catalyst to pick up sailing again we hope

Regards - Ol Tug (Ex Ray)
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 10:45:34 PM »
Thanks Tug, it's a great looking engine, I'll read your thread about its build tomorrow  :)

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 11:47:10 PM »
Beautiful work on the case Tug!
And the planes look like they could be started up and flown into the wild blue. Amazing, I wish I could have just a little piece of your talent.

Dave

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 12:29:14 AM »
Amazing, I wish I could have just a little piece of your talent.

I could do with a little piece of anyone's talent on this forum.

My favorite is the Albatros D.Va. I've tried to build it twice (Model Airways). I will go for a 3rd.

A Camel and SE5 are also desirable. But for looks...it's the Albatros.

Funny side note...my youngest daughter in pre-school was asked to say a word that started with 'a'. She said albatros.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 04:18:04 AM »
Hi Tug,
Great job on the cases! Thanks for the build lesson. I'll have to keep that adhesive in mind if I ever do any glass work.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 07:41:31 AM »
Ramon, I only made the case but think you are right about the class.

Ray Dar sounds OK if said with a Welsh accent!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal