Author Topic: Re: 'WIDE A WAKE' - an anecdote  (Read 1447 times)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
Re: 'WIDE A WAKE' - an anecdote
« on: June 17, 2018, 10:39:56 PM »
Hi Guy’s,

I thought you might like to hear of a very well meaning act by the wife of one of our forum members…….  A small gift came my way, perhaps quite insignificant to some, totally unexpected on my part but extremely thoughtful and received with heartfelt thanks.

You may recall that at some stage I took the boat and gave a talk to members of the Norwich MES. The result of the evening was that I was asked to do the same at the Halesworth MES. Destined for last October this was, due to various reasons, postponed until early this month.
I was well received with a good turn out of members including a couple of wives and began as before by showing an image of and describing receiving that Model Boat Magazine in 1972 in which WaW was originally featured. I commented that when writing the article for ME that I had sent that original copy to Diane at ME to scan the drawings but that unfortunately this had coincided with Diane becoming unwell and that under the circumstances the magazine would probably not be returned. I gave no more thought to it and moved on

Yesterday I had a visit from forum member 'Andy B' and his wife Miranda whom I have only met once before at Forncett but who had been present at the talk. She handed me a plain brown envelope with a grin and accompanied it with a “You might like this'’ comment. Oh Really???

Inside ? Well imagine my total and extremely pleasant surprise when I pulled out a very good condition copy of that February 1972 issue of Model Boat magazine. She had noted what I had said, gone home, sat down at the computer, found one and ordered it completely unprompted.

Small gift? well yes you may think so, Old magazine? well yes too but in my book a truly thoughtful and well meant gesture that brought a huge smile to my face ;D.

Quite taken back by this unexpected kindness I thought it deserved to be shared with you too. My sincere thanks Miranda - so immensely appreciated.

Regards - Tug

Incidentally, on the same evening I received a gift from a Halesworth member of the complete set of drawings and info, plus the one casting required for the Hodgson 9 Cylinder radial but that as they say is another matter  ;)

You could say a good evening all round  :)
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 11:55:40 PM »
Brilliant Ramon, I can see how you are very pleased with the gift of the magazine.  :pinkelephant: :cartwheel: :cheers:
Robert
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 01:10:28 AM »
Wonderful story Ramon. Thanks so much for sharing it.

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 08:29:30 AM »
Incidentally, on the same evening I received a gift from a Halesworth member of the complete set of drawings and info, plus the one casting required for the Hodgson 9 Cylinder radial but that as they say is another matter  ;)

I would look to finish off that Bentley B.R.2 before you start another big radial  ::)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 11:05:38 PM »
Thanks Guys - yeh, still can't get over that someone would think to do such a considerate thing  :)

I would look to finish off that Bentley B.R.2 before you start another big radial  ::)

Jo - do I take that as sage advice from someone well versed in such consideration or is that shades of teapots, kettles and black springing to mind  :ROFL:

Thanks for the nudge - as it's been at least three years since they saw light of day I got all the Bentley parts out today and checked them for any sign of corrosion - all okay. At this stage I think it unlikely I will ever finish it (but who knows - whim is a funny thing and can strike at any time ::)) but even more certain is the fact that I won't be starting any other 9 cylinder until I do  ;). No, the book of drawings will sit alongside another fine book on engines generously given me in the past and equally well received  ;)

Regards - Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline AndyB

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 06:02:57 PM »
Hello to you all,

Sorry but life has meant that I am only an occasional lurker here now.  :-[

I have to say; I had read the Wide-A-Wake build log but it was nothing like having the man in front of you describing the processes and answering questions. A fantastic evening. :praise2:

I had checked Ramon's build log to see if he added anything as he had said he would let you all know. I happened to see him and Sue at St Felix Railway Exhibition today and was pointed in this direction.

I can tell you, the look of surprise and heartfelt gratitude on Ramon's face when he opened that envelope made it worth being alive. Miranda took no prompting, and did not even tell me what she was doing until the magazine arrived.

Tea and biscuits and that smile were ample repayment and we are sorry that we stayed so long as to make you late getting away.

I expect that the next time I see some of you will be at Forncett in October. It is not long now.

Best wishes

Andy
Cry "god for Harry, England and Drummond Lathes"

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 06:41:09 PM »
I’ll have to say Andy, I’ve only met him through this forum and several personal electronic chats, but, he has impressed me as a true gentleman and great craftsman. In my opinion, old chaps like Tug are a dying breed and there ain’t a whole lot of them left. My $.02 worth.

Whiskey

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal