Author Topic: ME Beam engine casting source  (Read 2390 times)

Offline Reggleston

ME Beam engine casting source
« on: June 17, 2018, 04:11:35 PM »
Anyone know where in the UK I might obtain castings to build the ME beam engine other than Reeves?

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: ME Beam engine casting source
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 04:42:53 PM »
Don't go to Brunell :hellno:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 04:50:27 PM »
Looks like scratch building then.  :)

Offline warrenmaker

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 05:54:24 AM »
Anyone know where in the UK I might obtain castings to build the ME beam engine other than Reeves?

What's wrong with Reeves.?   I was looking at buying that exact same engine from them just the other day.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 07:12:32 AM »
Probably my post put him off reeves and also had a thread on ME recently with a banana shaped bed plate.

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,8174.msg175293.html#msg175293

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 07:35:11 AM »
I ordered the last couple of castings for Surus' Commander from them at the end of May and immediately they told me the castings were 3 to 4 weeks. They were good to their word and they were shipped next day delivery last Thursday.

I would have them except that the deliver driver must be 'blonde' because he claims he could not find my house  :hammerbash: They are going to try again today but Surus is aware that they are due to arrive :ShakeHead: He is going to make my life hell until they arrive and he knows he is not allowed them until Thursday  ::) .

Jo

Offline mikemill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
moving
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 11:18:17 AM »
My Surus' Reeves castings have arrived as promised  :pinkelephant: I just about heard the door and next thing he was dragging the parcel onto the dining room table and shredding the wrapper to get in  >:( Luckily the castings themselves were still safe in a cardboard box inside.

I can report that the castings are of excellent quality  :ThumbsUp: but I am not going to show you a picture until Thursday when he's allowed them  ::).

Jo
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 11:24:19 AM by Jo »

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 12:28:27 PM »
If the larger version to the same design ( more or less ) of the ME Beam engine appeals, that is, the Stuart Major Beam Engine, then Station Road Steam in Lincolnshire have got a partly built model currently for sale. Price I think is less than that of the casting set from Stuart....    Dave

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2022, 02:44:24 AM »
I thought I'd throw in on this old thread, just because I recently purchased a set of Reeves ME Beam Engine castings - recently as in last week and they arrived today - and my castings are excellent as far as I can tell. Everything is well aligned, and the beam looks straight to me. This thread was one I reviewed before making the purchase, so thinking others may be doing the same I thought I'd post my experience.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal