Author Topic: Oops .... Sorry ...  (Read 2469 times)

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
Oops .... Sorry ...
« on: June 15, 2018, 05:35:16 AM »
Was knackered yesterday so went to kip @ 21:30 last night ... So I was up at 04:20 and after the usual ablutions went pottering about in the garage  :thinking:

Tidied up a bit and then ...... Sawed up some bits of wood for Jo's 'Wood-burner Bag'   Then belatedly realised just what time it was.

I wonder what the neighbours thought about a 10" DeWalt saw shrieking away at 04:55 ???   :embarassed:  :facepalm:

I suspect I may be enlightened later on ....  :Lol:

Dave

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
Re: Oops .... Sorry ...
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 07:02:50 AM »
Hard hat, ear defenders and Kevlar flack jacket are the dress of the day  :pinkelephant:
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 08:02:41 AM »
Naughty boy   :lolb: Its soo tempting to get on and do things once you are up :embarassed:

All those stick in their beds who don't bother getting up until the Sun is on its way down again :facepalm: Especially on a Sunday   :stickpoke: They get two days a week off work and they waste most of it in bed   :facepalm:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 11:37:05 AM »
Oooo the W word has appeared  :stir: :stir:

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 12:02:14 PM »
Oooo the W word has appeared  :stir: :stir:

:-[

Its Friday I will have to go and spend two and a half days in the workshop/garden as penance  :paranoia:

Jo

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 02:35:35 PM »
No harm done, it seems ...  :ThumbsUp:

One side didn't notice and the character on the other side was on early shift and got up at 04:30 anyway.  :)  I did get some comments about my sanity, or absence thereof, from him ....  :Lol:

( Had to look this w**k thing up. Completely forgotten what that was all about.  :headscratch:  Ghastly habit. Glad I managed to shake it off).

Dave

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 02:44:26 PM »
Thought the neighbours had hung you off the yard arm Dave as you had not been seen since 6am this morning  ::)

( Had to look this w**k thing up. Completely forgotten what that was all about.  :headscratch:  Ghastly habit. Glad I managed to shake it off).

Its what us youngsters have to do to fund our houses and our dependence's casting habit   :(

Jo

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 02:45:49 PM »
No harm done, it seems ...  :ThumbsUp:

One side didn't notice and the character on the other side was on early shift and got up at 04:30 anyway.  :)  I did get some comments about my sanity, or absence thereof, from him ....  :Lol:

Dave
That was one of those horror movies, I think, "Steven King's WORK". Nightmares for days....  Pointy haired bosses, evil HR cats....

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 02:54:23 PM »
Well its 21 years since I did any paid W**K so it’s my dim distance past , yes I gave it up at 50  :whoohoo:

now back to these bad drawings  :zap:

Offline Lew Hartswick

• Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 03:26:44 PM »
Well its 21 years since I did any paid W**K so it’s my dim distance past , yes I gave it up at 50  :whoohoo:

now back to these bad drawings  :zap:

It's been almost 22 since I did the W**K bit for wages but have done a LOT of it since for nothing but the use of a GREAT shop. :-)
The high school metal shop with 8 lathes and 4 mills and all the rest of the required machinery. :-)
   ...lew...

Online Twizseven

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 10:17:56 PM »
Stuart,

Did you voluntarily give up work at 50 or was it thrust upon you?

I'm still working at 68 (sort of for myself) but it has slowed up the last few weeks.  Now the phone interrupts me when I want to get in the workshop and do something for myself.  Usually I'm chopping/drilling Unistrup and cutting/punching/folding aluminium sheet and riveting the resultant bits to each other, then either sending them to someone else to install in factory/warehouse roofs or doing it myself along with lots of cat5 cabling.

I remember about 25 years ago I was having an extension on the house and was knocking window frames out of the garage wall.  My neighbours daughter complained, I looked at clock and realised it was after midnight.  In my defence the builders were coming next morning to fit new double-glazed windows to keep the noise down.

Colin

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2018, 08:20:46 AM »
I'm still working at 68 (sort of for myself) but it has slowed up the last few weeks.

Its nice to be able to chose to go on working, us youngsters have little choice but to work until 68 to get our pension but by the time I get there it is probably going to be 70  :cussing: And don't get me on that  :censored: woman who had women's retirement age moved from 60 to 65 on grounds of equality :Mad: Did she really think that they were going to reduce men's retirement age  :ShakeHead:

I must remember to go and see the work's escape committee again to remind them that I am still HERE :stickpoke:

Jo

Online Twizseven

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2018, 10:12:32 AM »
Jo,

Based on fact that my Father is still alive (almost 98) and with full mental capacity I'm hoping I have a fair few years left.  He has only just stopped doing stuff in his workshop (marquetry) as he cannot move around as legs and spine are failing.  His mother and her 6 sisters all went to mid 90's and my grandparents on mothers side went to mid 90's.

My works escape committee is me and the guy I do most of my work for.  I have said that if/when I finish working on site surveys and installs I am still happy to fabricate parts for a period of time.

Colin

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2018, 11:00:55 AM »
Stuart,

Did you voluntarily give up work at 50 or was it thrust upon you?

Colin
Colin
Well it’s a bit of both
I was a facility’s engineer for a UK bank and we had a new young assistant manager who ambition was to get rid of the people who knew more than he did .

The shift pattern was changed to 12 1/2 hour shift day and night the job was 24 / 7 365days inc Xmas

Any way we were offered early retirement ( bank had a unwritten rule 25 years service and 50 you get an offer ) because you are then at the top of your grade when the offer reached a six figure golden hand shake and my index linked pension straight away I took up the offer .

Now at most bank you do not work your notice you get 3 months gardening leave on full pay , but on my last shift (day) I arrived and the manager was there there was a major problem with the standby gen sets ( 6 off 1000hp cats ) so I listened to the night shift and realised that it was a operator error , so I when into the hi switch room and did the switching , and all was good . His comment was we should not be letting you go , my reply ‘too late I am off in 12 hours ‘

Now I do not regret the choice one bit with the state pension and my bank one I am more than double the average earning and I still pay income tax  :zap:

A note 6 months before the offer I was not even thinking about retirement

Sorry for the long post

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2018, 01:56:37 PM »
Colin: last year I had a major operation and a 54 year old colleague had a major op two weeks later. Major Ops have a habit of teaching you to look differently at life. My Colleague who had the op just after me died 8 days ago  :'( The only guarantee in life is one day, for what every reason, each of us will die  :(

And you do not get physically fitter as you get older  :ShakeHead:

Luckily I have been planning on retiring for sometime so had the pleasure of doing a Wally to my Boss earlier in the year  >:D I just need him to let me get at my pension  :hammerbash:

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal