Author Topic: Attempting to Build UPT  (Read 3547 times)

Online Twizseven

Attempting to Build UPT
« on: June 14, 2018, 10:35:23 PM »
I have finally found time to get back to building my Geo Thomas Universal Pillar Tool (UPT).  I cannot believe I started this back in 2011 ( I checked back on an earlier thread), but work, work work got in the way.  I had completed the three arms and the pillar and half machined the table and then stopped.  I had a small problem with the alignment of the two smaller front bores and threw it to one side.  Had a little free time last week as work has gone a bit quiet and found it out again.

For some reason, obviously stupidity on my behalf, but I'm blaming the lathe, the two bores were a few thou out of vertical, the fact that the 3/4" shaft that should have passed through them had also got a very slight taper and it would not slide together.  A 3/4" reamer and a nice piece of PGMS steel cured the problem so now back on track.  Also changed to a much newer Myford Super 7.

The base is 90% finished.  The brass clamp nut I thought I had made had vanished (workshop gnomes) so had to make another.  The Cowells mill came in handy here with a 1mm end mill to cut the 80 thou deep slot ( 8 passes at 10 thou a time).  Very gently did it.

I now need to put the slots in the table.  No problem thinks I, get out the rotary table, fit to mill, find out it is the same diameter as the table I need to machine.  Cannot think how to hold on table.  Put backup plan in action.  Nice rotary table on BCA jig borer. Fix plate to rotary table, use co-axial centering gauge for first time, nicely centered.  Find I do not have a 5/16" slot mill.  Try 8mm in 5/16 collet but cannot get it to clamp up tight enough.  Never having used the BCA jig borer before I'm not to sure the best way of holding the spindle whilst collet is tightened up.  All ideas gratefully received.

If anyone has either a 3/8", 6mm or 10mm collet for a BCA threaded for Clarkson end mills surplus to requirements (I know this is highly unlikely, but got to be asked) there are beer tokens available for the same.

Another option to machine the slots might be to hold the table by its spindle in either a collet chuck or 3 jaw chuck attached to dividing head but I'm not sure whether this would be a solid enough setup.

Last resort is to use my mates Hauser Jig Borer but this seems a bit defeatist.

Colin

Offline Ridjobradi

Re: Attempting to Build UPT
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 12:23:29 AM »
I am looking forward to watching your build.  I like following all of the GHT builds.

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 12:56:21 AM »
The UPT is a great project.  You could layout a few holes where the slots will be, drill and bolt to the BCA jig borer.  The collet you need?  turn one or use an endmill of a size for which you have a collet.  Once upon a time the determined would have chain drilled and filled.  Or easiest of all, just put the slots aside for the time being and carry on, in roughly 25 years since I made mine I've never used them

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 01:14:35 AM »
I have often wondered if maybe a tapped hole pattern might be more useful?
I have a set of castings from Gary Martin ageing in the cupboard.

Dave

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 08:16:47 AM »
The Cowells mill came in handy here with a 1mm end mill to cut the 80 thou deep slot ( 8 passes at 10 thou a time).  Very gently did it.

Colin you will find using a slitting saw less exciting for cutting out the slots  ;)

I now need to put the slots in the table. 

I never got round to putting them in mine  :thinking: I decided as I do small stuff on it slots would be an opportunity for bits I rest on the table to be stolen by the Workshop Gnome  :facepalm: If I need to clamp anything I just put a clamp around the table.

Try 8mm in 5/16 collet but cannot get it to clamp up tight enough.  Never having used the BCA jig borer before I'm not to sure the best way of holding the spindle whilst collet is tightened up.  All ideas gratefully received.

It sounds like the locating pin has slipped out in the spindle. Take it apart and poke it back it. They do wear over time so it might be time for a new pin  ;)

If anyone has either a 3/8", 6mm or 10mm collet for a BCA threaded for Clarkson end mills surplus to requirements (I know this is highly unlikely, but got to be asked) there are beer tokens available for the same.

:lolb:  :lolb:  :lolb: Phil P knows all about trying to find those  :lolb:  :lolb:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 01:17:44 PM »
Good luck with your collet searching, you could always make your own though.
A pal of mine set up and made a set for his own machine recently, and very kindly made me the 5mm and 8mm ones that I had missing.

Phil

Online Twizseven

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 09:56:31 PM »
Jo,
Your quite right that a slitting saw would have been the easier way to go.  Need to sort out a suitable slitting saw mandrel for the Aciera and also to get the vice mounted up properly.  Trouble is I have been gathering all these tools but not had a chance to sort out all the required accessories to make them fully useful.  Managed to pick up a Duplex Toolpost grinder today.  My mate with the Hardinge, Aciera, Hauser etc., happened to open one of his cupboards and found two toolpost grinders he had forgotten he had.  One is now sat on the Hardinge lathe and I have the second one.  Need to make a cover for the drive belt and the wheel and tidy up the mains cable strain relief.  My mate bought it from Myford when they shut down, so I'm hoping the adaptor sleeve it came with will be a perfect fit on the  7 toolpost.

I wouldn't say using the 1mm end mill was exciting, it was slow and delicate as I only had the one 1mm endmill and that one I found in the drawer with the BCA.

I think you need to get your workshop gnomes under control.  There are obviously too many castings for them to hide under.  Perhaps you should sell some castings to give them fewer hiding places. :stir:

I checked the BCA spindle and the locating pin is still there.  I have found a suitable hole in the pulley to take a bar to hold spindle whilst tightening the collet drawbar. Perhaps I need a matching hole in the drawbar knob.  It certainly appeared to pull up much better holing the pulley whilst tightening the drawbar. :ThumbsUp:

I knew the request for collets would have you rolling on the floor with laughter. :Lol:

Mcgyver
I think if I tried to do that much filing my shoulder would freeze up totally.

Phil
I have a full set of Imperial plain collets and a 1/4 threaded and a 6mm and 10mm plain.  Tenga do supply a 6mm and 10mm thread collet, but prices somewhat eye watering.  But as Mr Godfrey said, when they retire in not too distance future there will be none available.  Certainly my skill level at the moment is not up to making collets, maybe one day in the future.

I currently have the UPT table centered and clamped to the BCA rotary table.  I used a co-axial centering tool for the first time.  It worked well once I worked out how to use it. Problem was the shortest straight arm was too long to be able to slide the UPT table underneath it.  Had to clamp the UPT table down and then put the centering arm down the centre hole in the UPT table and feed it back up into the co-axial device.  First time I lost it down inside the BCA Rotary table.

Tomorrow will be a case of slot or not to slot.

Colin

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 08:28:36 AM »
Perhaps you should sell some castings to give them fewer hiding places. :stir:

:lolb: You are assuming that I can actually get anywhere near my sets of castings  :ShakeHead: I have been told that they are in a safe pair of feet but I am not sure.

I am being promised I will be allowed to see more of them after I retire and have more time to spend in the workshop :noidea:

Jo

P.S. I after he read your comment I think someone has realised that I might have castings sets hidden in the workshop as well  :facepalm:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 02:58:59 PM »
Colin, any chance of getting some pictures or where things stand and your progress?

Bill

Online Twizseven

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 11:10:36 PM »
Bill,

Yes I will try and sort some photos out.  I need to ensure you wont be able to see any of the c..k ups.  I also need to remind myself how to upload images.  :old:  I used to use Dropbox Public files.  I know I put a few up on the other system a few of you guys recommended and were using after Photos....t got silly.  Only trouble is I cannot remember what the system was called.  :headscratch: Hopefully I will be able to remember my logon and password.

Colin

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 07:28:17 AM »
Colin pic attached of my BCA's original Draw Bar with holes  :)

Jo

Online Twizseven

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 08:54:40 PM »
Jo,

I definitely need those holes asap, having watched a 5/16 end mill walk out of its collet as it just was not tight enough.  My friend with the Hardinge lathe is going to produce me a set of three threaded collets. :ThumbsUp:  Will do a 3/8, 6mm and 8mm.  Will use the RDG blank arbors.

Unfortunately I learnt a few things the hard way whilst machine the UPT table. :facepalm:

1.  When you have tightened the clamps holding down the part to be machined, check them at least once more. :censored:

2. The previously mention walking collet. :censored:

3. Just because the extension clamp bars on the BCA get in the way of the rotary table handle, don't stop counting degrees moved when you remove and replace it. :censored:

Bill asked where pictures were.  There will be some but I need to artistically arrange them so that the boo boo's cannot be seen.

Colin

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 11:39:39 PM »
Re your collets, I don't think you will need a threaded 8mm one.

The threaded ones I have are 1/4", 3/8", 6mm & 10mm these cover pretty much all the Clarkson cutter sizes you will need on a BCA.

The internal threads are strange sizes as well so watch out for that, from memory I think they are all 20 TPI even on the metric ones.

Phil

Online Twizseven

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2018, 08:31:41 AM »
Phil,

Thanks for the pointer re sizes and the threads.  I have ordered the arbors but my mate is going away for a few days so will have to wait a bit.

Colin

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2018, 12:58:59 PM »
Colin

In case you havn't already found it, there is a bit of info on some BCA style tooling that I made here:-
http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,2391.0.html

Phil

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal