Author Topic: CNC Maunfacturing in Your Dentist's Office  (Read 2324 times)

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
CNC Maunfacturing in Your Dentist's Office
« on: June 14, 2018, 02:16:49 PM »
I went to my local dentist to have a crown put in yesterday in the local village of 500 people. He digitally photographed the tooth area, edited the 3D image in the consultation room in front of me in the screen, sent it to his milling center down the hall and machined it in a little Two axis micro mill, and it was done in 20 minutes. The milling included a hollow in the back side to fit over my tooth stub.
I was  impressed, even more so when I got the bill of $1500.00 after my Senior discount of 10%.
The system uses porcelain blanks, and the milling cutters are about 1 mm in diameter.
No more sending out an impression and waiting 2 weeks for the crown to come from an outside lab.
He then glues the crown in place with some polymer adhesive cured with UV light.
Mosey   :thinking:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: CNC Maunfacturing in Your Dentist's Office
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 02:40:28 PM »
Impressive technology, but that price is very high!

Now if the tooth had a double acting cylinder...

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 08:15:05 PM »
If I don’t have to gag on that stuff used for impressions, then the price isn’t an issue. Hate that crap

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 09:07:16 PM »
and waiting 2 weeks for the crown to come from an outside lab.

Yeah and then having to wear a stainless temporary so you look like Jaws in the James Bond movies.  :lolb:

Impressive technology, but that price is very high!

Well somebody has to pay for that little micro mill right  ;)

If I don’t have to gag on that stuff used for impressions, then the price isn’t an issue.

Couldn't agree more Cletus!!!

Bill

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 12:12:07 AM »

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 12:27:16 PM »
I believe the name of the machine is Cerus. Looks like what you showed.
Mosey

Offline lohring

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 02:31:26 PM »
The most common system for making crowns and inlays is made by Cerec.  See https://www.dentsplysirona.com/en/products/cad-cam/dental-practice.html  They have been around a long time and just recently upgraded their system to use zirconium as well as a lot of other materials.  It takes a lot more than their impressive two head milling machine.  I was just quoted $143,000 for a system.  Amortizing this cost plus the cost of the dentist and his staff is the reason for the $1500 cost of the crown.  The material cost is negligible.  There are less expensive systems, but they are less capable.

Scanning is replacing impressions and most US dental labs use a heavier duty version to machine crowns.  You can email in the scan and get a crown or bridge back.  The skilled technicians used for investment casting of crowns are retiring.  It's becoming a lost art like saddle making.  I'm waiting for 3D printed dentures.  Partial denture frames are now being 3D printed in chrome cobalt alloys.  Surgical stents for placing implants are 3D printed from 3D scans of the mouth combined with a 3D x-ray that shows the bone shape.  Those take all the guess work out of implant surgery.

Lohring Miller 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal