Author Topic: Hello from Chicago (suburbs)  (Read 1467 times)

Offline ruddxi

Hello from Chicago (suburbs)
« on: June 12, 2018, 11:01:22 PM »
howdies all!   
new to the home hobby machinist thing since i got my 10" x 22" Bench Lathe about a year ago.  and thanks to studying at the school of youtube, i've have got a good novice handle at machining. (will be adding a small mill in a couple of months also!).
did a couple small steam engines from casting and turned out nice! now im liking the flame lickers and want to give it a go!!  just go to figure out what one to do 1st...

thanks for having me here on your forums!!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Hello from Chicago (suburbs)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 11:57:05 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum. Hope you can figure out how to post some pictures of your engines and shop. We love pictures as you can probably tell. AS for flame lickers, there are several to choose from ini various sizes. I would suggest going with a know design for your first one though. They can be a bit tricky but also euphoric when you get that first one to run.   :hi:

Bill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 05:49:23 AM »
Hi Ruddxi,
Welcome to the forum!

That's how it starts - one small machine. And a few tools of course.
Then comes another small machine. And a few more tools.
Then more tools.
And then, a slightly bigger machine.  And another one...

Not sure it ever stops once it starts!

But it sure is fun!
Kim

Offline techonehundred

• Chicago Suburbs
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 12:27:06 AM »
Welcome. Which suburb? I am in warrenville.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Offline ruddxi

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 12:32:04 AM »
Batavia.    not too far....lol

Offline techonehundred

• Chicago Suburbs
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 05:22:52 AM »
So there are a few of us in the area if you need help. I am also a member of a couple of semi local machinist clubs.  One meets in Mt. Prospect and another in La Grange. A few of us that have show and tell along with a lot of bs sessions. A lot of fun. Let me know if you are interrested.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Offline Jakdaw43

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 12:59:28 PM »
Hi All,
A warm welcome to ruddxi to the world of home machining and model engineering :D
I've been in the zone for the past 60 years and more, and you never loose the drive to add something to your tool collection whether it be a bush for second stage op.on a part, a jig/fixture or additions to the machine tool arsenal.
What is gratifying is when a fellow devotee needs something or some help, very often your past tooling comes to their aid.  That's one of the great things about the hobby (obsession !), being able to help others onto the first rung of the  ladder and see them grow in competence.  The gleam in their eye when something they've made moves/works for the first time....wonderful !!
My workshop is 6' x 15' , joined to the house for easy access/escape from domestic management.
Space is tight so things have to close racked/stored and easily accessible when needed.
I've attached a few pics. of my den.
Cheers,
Stuart
Stuart alias 'Jackdaw'

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal