Author Topic: Lathe wear  (Read 3358 times)

Offline Baner

• Cowaramup, Western Australia
Re: Lathe wear
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2018, 02:51:39 PM »
Minitech is the only supplier in Oz that I've found selling way oil at a hobby friendly price and volume.

https://www.minitech.com.au/?rf=kw&kw=oil

There's a selection of Vactra#2 and #4 at the bottom of the page.

Dave.

Offline JFB

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2018, 08:14:00 PM »
Be cautious with Minitech, they have suspended telephone and web site ordering and have turned into an ebay only seller. I have an order with them that has been outstanding for over two and a half months, they refuse to answer emails or telephone. They took the money out of my account pretty quick but in spite of what they say on their home page no refund, no communication, no nothing

Real shame, they were going so well, since changing ownership

Joe

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2018, 09:26:13 PM »
That's not any level of wear to worry about, but from someone's who's scraped a few lathe beds, that pattern says the carriage is a not a good fit to the ways.  A plain bearing works because the part rides on a thin wedge of oil; that needs complete bearing to happen.   If there is not complete bearing, oil won't stop the wear because the contact is in specific small areas that extent through the thin film.  The problems this creates is more rapid wear and flex - under load the pancake stack is not fully bearing so will flex a bit.  Not an epic issue, but it does make turning less easy

I'd at a minimum pull the carriage of, blue it as the other poster has done and see what you've got.  Then I'd scrape into the bed if it needed it, but that's me.....I like this stuff working at its best.  But at least do the first part, it might be something simple.  You don't know a machine until you taken it apart and surveyed the bearing surface fits :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 10:47:23 PM by Mcgyver »

Offline Baner

• Cowaramup, Western Australia
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2018, 05:51:45 AM »
Pity to hear that about Minitech, Joe. Didn't know they changed owners. I haven't ordered anything from them in a while but they used to be great to deal with.

Dave.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal