Author Topic: Bill's Shop Renovation  (Read 90362 times)

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Bill's Shop Renovation
« Reply #450 on: December 31, 2018, 01:20:09 AM »
I like watching how people organize.   Lots of cool ideas....I try to pirate as many ideas as I can!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #451 on: January 01, 2019, 02:22:09 PM »
This video is a little lengthy,but, this guy has some great organizational skills and an awesome shop.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCVQQ4qnp2A" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCVQQ4qnp2A</a>

Cletus

Offline mikehinz

« Reply #452 on: January 02, 2019, 03:43:42 PM »
Bill, I'd missed this thread until now.  That's a very nice shop that you've go there!  It's a very nice size for what you intend to do, at least IMO.

I do have a quick question.  You mentioned earlier that the space is about 900SF and that you'd installed a heat pump based HVAC.  What capacity did you install?  Just curious as I think I'm about to install HVAC in my shop space also.  The cold is about to kill me and it keeps me out of the shop entirely too much!

Thanks!

Mike
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #453 on: January 02, 2019, 07:25:57 PM »
Looking good!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #454 on: January 02, 2019, 09:30:28 PM »
Mike, I looked back at the quote I had and it is a 2 ton split heat pump system. Hope that helps.

Bill

Offline mikehinz

« Reply #455 on: January 02, 2019, 09:53:25 PM »
Mike, I looked back at the quote I had and it is a 2 ton split heat pump system. Hope that helps.

Bill

Bill, that info is exactly what I was looking for!  I've got about the same area to heat and cool and everything I've calculated has indicated 2 tons / 24k BTU for a heatpump in our climate (central KS).  So I believe that's the size I'll go for also.

Again, thanks!

Mike.
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #456 on: January 02, 2019, 10:38:39 PM »
Mike, it seemed a bit large to me at first since I have 1 ton and 1.5 ton unites at home (2 stories) but those are for A/C only. I think sizing must be somewhat different with heat pumps, perhaps more based on winter conditions. What I know is that even on colder days so far this winter (say around 32 degrees F), it keeps the space at the set temp and still runs only intermittently. The same was true for the cooling side back at the end of the summer meaning it didn't have to run all the time to keep up. I am very happy with the performance so far.

Bill

« Reply #457 on: January 02, 2019, 11:03:24 PM »
Bil, I think you will be fine with a heat pump in your location. Mike, I didn’t research your mean temps, but, heat pumps are pretty much useless below 38-42 degrees F.  Mine run in either auxiliary heat or defrost mode almost continuous in my shed at these temps  (middle Tennessee)

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #458 on: January 02, 2019, 11:16:26 PM »
Eric, I would disagree somewhat, as they can be fairly efficient even down to 32 degrees. Of course a lot depends on insulation of the shed too. Mine is very well insulated and I know that helps. Keep in mind to that units are much larger these days for any given tonnage. I had both AC units here at the house replaced about 3 years apart with the 1 ton being the latest an in that short time the outside unit for the 1 ton is significantly larger than the 1.5 ton unit I had already replaced. The increased coil size helps the efficiency as well. Just my 2 cents but I relied on the HVAC company to size the shop and they seem to have nailed it.

Bill

« Reply #459 on: January 03, 2019, 08:01:02 PM »
 Let me clarify myself Prof (ret.) At the 36-42 range, they are awesome. However, from my experience, once you get into those lower thirties and below , they are either defrosting (brings on auxiliary heat) or the auxiliary heat is running to maintain set temps. I have two five ton units in approximately 4000 square feet, and I’ll admit, it isn’t insulated as well as it could be, and the ceiling is very high also. I stay warm, but it ain’t cheap. The defrost cycle also annoys me. When they go into defrost, the auxiliary heat bank has to come on to keep from blowing cold air back into the area, which basically puts you back on conventional electric heat. I guess it’s just one of those things that I need to accept, thinking about it; I’ve got six heat pumps running between the house and work  :facepalm2:. Hope y’all gets what’s I’m a trying to be saying  8). Tell everybody I said hey

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #460 on: January 03, 2019, 08:32:54 PM »
Those high ceilings are a killer Eric. Thankfully I don't have that to contend with.

Bill

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #461 on: January 04, 2019, 03:11:03 AM »
Man, I'm not sure what you are talkin about. I've got a 900w baseboard heater in my 20X8 shop set at medium and my coolant hasn't froze yet. Stays around 55 til I fire up one of the machines, or I decide I want to hang out in the shop. Maybe the ton to watt scale makes my shop one of those miniature engine shops. :lolb: :lolb: :ROFL:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #462 on: January 06, 2019, 08:43:42 PM »
Starting to get organized a bit now. Found some unfinished cabinets at Lowe's which will help the mini-lathe area (photo1). The right hand side will be for scroll saw and buffer stuff (photo 2), and the left hand side will be used for Cowells and Unimat accessories, mics, and such.

These don't have a shelf but should be easy enough to put some risers in and a second shelf to double the shelf space if needed. Everything is accessible while seated at the machines too. I will finish the fronts with an oil finish or something .

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #463 on: January 06, 2019, 08:57:01 PM »
As for the change gears for the Cowells which won't be used often, I unearthed the old tool dip pot and gave then a dip. This will seal in an oil film and keep them from rusting in storage.

Bill

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #464 on: January 06, 2019, 11:46:18 PM »
That should make some nice storage for you Bill!  Especially with some shelves.  You'll have this space whipped into shape in no time!
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal