Author Topic: Bill's Shop Renovation  (Read 91939 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Bill's Shop Renovation
« Reply #435 on: December 27, 2018, 08:24:18 AM »
That space is just crying out for some more machines Bill  :naughty:

Security is an odd one over here: Some places used to suffer regularly with household robberies but in my village we have only had one in twenty years and that was a youngster stealing another's off road scrappy scrambler bike  :ShakeHead: and the Coppers knew exactly who did it before they turned up.

Most of the time what is stolen is smart phones or wallet/purses (or possibly Xmas Casting presents  :thinking: ). I saw a great way for us ladies to protect their purse the other day - the police were handing out little tinker bells to attach to your purse so that if anyone tried to steal it it made a noise  :ThumbsUp:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Steve17

« Reply #436 on: December 27, 2018, 10:48:42 AM »
Hi Jo,
You could always put your small valuables in a dog poo bag!!!!  :LittleDevil:

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #437 on: December 27, 2018, 07:02:19 PM »
Bill,
For equipment to fill all that extra space?  If it were me, I'd be thinking along the lines of a pan/box break, some rollers, maybe a blast cabinet and a heat treating oven.

And while I know its not used much for metal working, I find having a table saw quite helpful much of the time.  Plus, it acts as a nice horizontal surface when not in use cutting things.  I often do my painting on top of my table saw. (I cover it with cardboard before I paint!).  Oh, now that I've mentioned painting, maybe you can add a paint booth to the list?

Kim

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #438 on: December 27, 2018, 07:52:04 PM »
Looking good Professor (ret.) Hell, with all that room you could hold a square dance on Friday nights  :lolb:.. As far as security goes: a man can’t beat a yapping dog and a 12ga. pump shotgun: double ought buck alternated with slugs , just saying  :old: :lolb:. Seriously, looks like you have plenty of room for more machines, but give thought to a nice big table to show visitors what you “are getting on about” ( it’s also kinda motivational) and a nice big assembly table . Reason I say that is, I’m trying to rearrange me old shid to display what I’m doing in it and also just have a big table to spread crap out on. Does that make sense? Tell everybody I said how they be doing.

Whiskey, A.K.A. Cletus, A.K.A Eric, A.K.A. Rev

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #439 on: December 27, 2018, 07:55:01 PM »
Looking good Professor (ret.) Hell, with all that room you could hold a square dance on Friday nights  :lolb: .. As far as security goes: a man can’t beat a yapping dog and a 12ga. pump shotgun: double ought buck alternated with slugs , just saying  :old: :lolb: . Seriously, looks like you have plenty of room for more machines, but give thought to a nice big table to show visitors what you “are getting on about” ( it’s also kinda motivational) and a nice big assembly table . Reason I say that is, I’m trying to rearrange me old shid to display what I’m doing in it and also just have a big table to spread crap out on. Does that make sense? Tell everybody I said how they be doing.

Whiskey, A.K.A. Cletus, A.K.A Eric, A.K.A. Rev
Skip the buck shot, use rock salt and steel swarf, the nice curly sharp kind!  The cops can track them by the 'Ow Ow Ow Ow' down the street....   :LittleDevil:
Bill, awesome shop, very envious bunch of shop elves here (me included!)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #440 on: December 27, 2018, 08:17:09 PM »
Chris, my “buckshot” is eighteen .330” er, um, lead balls  8) and to be honest, it hurts so bad to shoot,  that I hope I only have to do it for qualification purposes. But then again, I guess it has a lot to do with which way I have the selective fire thingee flipped  :facepalm:.

Otis Redding

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #441 on: December 27, 2018, 09:46:25 PM »
There is a cheap table saw in there, just doesn't show in the pics. Used it recently to cut window molding. Not used a lot though. For model work, eventually will get a http://www.byrnesmodelmachines.com/tablesaw.html

Had one at work and ideal for model work and dollhouse furniture for the granddaughter.

Have made provisions for a heat treat oven at some point.

For now I have some shelves for model display, but already need more space for that.

For assembly, a Jewelers bench is being considered, again in the future.

A small bench top blast cabinet would be nice, but most are typically import quality. Still looking.

A paint booth or powder coating area is a good idea and am thinking on that.

Most of this will be on existing counter space though leaving lots of space yet  ;)

Bill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #442 on: December 27, 2018, 11:55:54 PM »
That's a pretty good list there, Bill.  And as Eric mentioned, there's always the square dance if you can't figure out what else to use the space for!  :ROFL:
Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #443 on: December 28, 2018, 12:28:47 AM »
Leave space for the shop elves to build their roller coaster!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #444 on: December 29, 2018, 11:10:51 PM »
The holidays have my days mixed up...probably a function of retirement too (everyday a Saturday). Anyway I think it was yesterday the new hanger post and base arrived so I went out to the shop for a bit.  The first photo is the Cowells and unimat as they sit on the workbench. The second photo shows the new post and base but not as I had planned. The swing down LED lamps is long enough to cover both machines since the Cowells will be used far more than the unimat. As photo three shows, this new arrangement leaves me the option to swing the lamp back over the foredom area should that be needed. Finally, with the swing down lamp on and over the Cowells, the DROs are quite readable. I was sitting as I will be when using it to take that picture. Now on to upgrading the florescent tubes to LEDs by bypassing the ballasts. More on that later.

Bill

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #445 on: December 30, 2018, 12:47:37 AM »
Looking good Bill.   Where are you going to put accessories for the lathes?    In drawers below?  Or shelves above?

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #446 on: December 30, 2018, 04:18:37 AM »
Shelves or more likely cabinets above Dave.

Bill

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #447 on: December 30, 2018, 06:14:53 AM »
Amazing! A Shop being planned and organized in advance! Such a thing is unheard of! Shops are supposed to just evolve out of a crowded little space and "that's all 'ya get bub"!

I'm envious, Bill. Really. This is a great space!

:cheers:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #448 on: December 30, 2018, 05:56:30 PM »
I've following along in the background Bill and I have to say that your shop is really shaping up nicely.

I have to second what Pete said.  My shop is an eclectic evolution of crowded space.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #449 on: December 30, 2018, 06:32:05 PM »
Thanks Bob. Up till now I have been limited to a small corner of the garage with access only to the Sherlines. While better than nothing, I must say it feels like a whole new world has opened up, especially now that the molding machine is gone.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal