Author Topic: Bill's Shop Renovation  (Read 90435 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Bill's Shop Renovation
« Reply #270 on: September 30, 2018, 05:15:45 PM »
As a long term Solar Power Installation owner a couple of observations:

Most power is generated in the summer which is great for running the workshop and I get a desire to do my power hungry house chores on sunny days.
In the winter power generation can be as little as 300W on a dull dark day so when you really need it - it is not there  :disappointed:

I have a bit of clever electronics that dumps any excess power that I am generating and not using into the emersion heater on my hot water tank. I get paid for every watt I generate even if I use it so the trick is to use it all   :)

As for batteries: the power density is increasing and cost is reducing, they are not yet cost effective... I reckon another 5 years and it will be worth putting in a battery bank to offset the peak electric charging rate times of the day i.e. charge them when its cheap from the mains and use it when its dear. (An electric car might provide the bulk of this system ) In the shorter term a standalone UPS for the oxygen system should not be that costly.

Jo

P.S. My system fully paid for itself in 7 years  :cartwheel:
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #271 on: September 30, 2018, 06:20:52 PM »
Hadn't really thought about it Zee. I am considering a whole house standby generator though since wife is on oxygen. We we're lucky during Florence but the potential for power loss for more that a few hours got me thinking on that.

Bill
Bill I have had mine for about 10 years and don’t regret it. But being on the gulf coast it is almost a must because of all the storms that we have here. Even regularly power losses here are pretty regular even without storms so good investment as far as I am concern. During Hurricane Andrew we had power out for months. So I don’t think you would regret installing one.

Don

Offline Bobsmodels

« Reply #272 on: October 03, 2018, 04:41:08 PM »
Bill

Just caught up on your thread and I see things are moving along nicely.  Here is my vote for paint. In my shop all walls and ceilings were painted white.  The floor was painted with Tile Red.   The reason for the floor color was to create a contrast with the walls.  It is easy on the eyes and believe it or not the tile color makes it easier to see something small you dropped on the floor, especially a small screw or nut.    I also used some free software to get the lighting figured out.  That was in 2005 and the software I used is not available but I am sure there is some like it out there.  I was surprised by how much lighting it called out.  I put it in and it has been very good, I have actually added more - old eyes.

Bob

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #273 on: October 03, 2018, 09:17:27 PM »
Thanks for looking in Bob. I currently have six 8 foot double tube flourescent fixtures in the main shop area. I have one 8 foot LED fixture to try out and compare light out put. If it's better I will gradually change them all out. I am leaning towards painting the walls as suggested. Not sure about the floor color yet. The half bath had a dark paneling which is being removed and thinking of using white bead board to replace it which should brighten it up some as well.

Bill

Online Twizseven

« Reply #274 on: October 03, 2018, 09:44:17 PM »
I have all white walls and red floor.  Also have 12 5ft LED lamps.  Cannot remember the exact wattage output, but I have lots of light.

Have painted the walls several times and where possible use vinyl silk emulsion, can wipe over this.

Colin

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #275 on: October 03, 2018, 11:15:03 PM »
The outside is getting closer. These guys are good but slow, which is fine with me. The east and west sides are complete as well as the front (north). They should finish up the back side tomorrow if all goes well, leaving just the roof which should go pretty fast. Now I need to clean the outside of the garage door and take a siding sample to Lowe's to match the color for painting. The inside is a mess at the moment, bathroom tore apart and the bench work on the far side removed from the wall so I can replace those panels which had some water damage.

Bill
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 12:51:40 AM by b.lindsey »

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #276 on: October 04, 2018, 01:11:28 AM »
Looking good Bill and getting closer. I know your anxious to get it completed....... :ThumbsUp:

:cheers:
Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #277 on: October 04, 2018, 01:34:44 AM »
Thanks Don, and yes I am looking forward to getting it done and my home machines moved out there and in place. Time to get back to some model making!!

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #278 on: October 16, 2018, 01:37:51 AM »
After the rains from this last hurricane and getting through our Cotton Ginning Days weekend the shop roofing got a small start today over the bathroom addition, which was in the worst shape. Hopefully work will continue tomorrow on the main roof, weather permitting. See photo 1. Framing on the house also got started today so things should progress more rapidly for a while ( photo 2).

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #279 on: October 16, 2018, 01:47:08 AM »
Nice!  Its an exciting time when the walls go up, things change so fast as work progresses.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #280 on: October 16, 2018, 01:58:35 AM »
True Chris. Then it slows way down again, but at least not dependent on the weather once it's dried in.

Bill

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #281 on: October 16, 2018, 02:11:23 AM »
Nice progress Prof. I know y’all have had enough rain; we had four inches, roughly a 10cm  8) today. You got to be a strong man; I don’t think I could go through the building process anymore.

Cletus
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 08:04:24 AM by Jo »

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #282 on: October 16, 2018, 09:04:09 AM »
Hello Bill,

The now finished siding and trim makes the building look brand new. The roof will be the coup de grâce.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #283 on: October 16, 2018, 12:34:50 PM »
Thanks Cletus and Thomas. The building process isn't too bad though we have disagreed on a few things. I expect this will be the last house I ever build though, so trying to get things right.

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #284 on: October 18, 2018, 11:23:29 PM »
The outside is now finished. The roof was completed yesterday but I didn't take pictures until today.....see below. I am very happy with the new roof and the siding as well. It should outlive me for sure and still be in good shape.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal